Stroke Victims Benefit From Video Game-based Physical Therapy

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Stroke Victims Benefit From Video Game-based Physical Therapy

A virtual treatment game brings rehab options into patients homes.

Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy, an intense regimen of exercises to help patients rebuild motor skills in the wake of a stroke. Despite its utility, very few patients - less than one percent - receive the treatment: In addition to the high cost, CI therapy requires a lot of time and an often-prohibitive number of trips to and from treatment. To make the treatment a viable option for more patients, researchers at Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center have created are using a custom-made video game to emulate CI therapy, providing a portable treatment guide that allows stroke victims to rehab at home.

Using the first-generation Kinect and a padded mitt with motion sensor to detect each individual finger, the game puts players in control an avatar in a river canyon area, and must perform repetitive motions with their affected arm to simulate tasks rowing and swatting away a swarm of bats in a cave. Though the mechanics may seem simple, the treatment is very intense: 30 hours of play over two weeks, plus wearing a padded mitt, which doctors say reminds patients to use their weakened hand, 10 hours per day.

After early trials, the game-based therapy seem to yield results similar to patients undergoing the standard treatment, according to team neurologist Lynne Gauthier. Patients also report that the game keeps them motivated while training and makes the potentially dull exercises a little more interesting. If those results hold, similar treatments could be used to help patients dealing with fine motor issues related to bells-palsy, multiple sclerosis and other neurological disorders.

Source: LiveScience [http://www.livescience.com/41862-video-game-stroke-therapy.html]

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
But...but...murder simulations!!11!

Seriously though, great news. Stories like this always warm my frigid little heart.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
rhizhim said:
trty00 said:
Stroke victims benefit from Video Game based physical therapy.

Stroke victims have Video Game physical therapy.

Stroke victims have Video Games.

Video Games cause strokes.

^ (How this might end up trickling down and eventually ending up on Fox and Friends)
this is fox news reporting in.

an independent scientific experiment started, researched and financed by fox has proven that the popular video game QWOP, in which little children can play as an afro-american african athlete who suffers psychogenic movements during a olympic event, can cause strokes and Hyperkinesia in real life.

this mental disease is named "the avatar memory effect", after the popular movie avatar that was filled with subliminal demokratic brainwashing and is currently regarded as INCURABLE by our newsancors and SCIENTISTS around the world.

more on the story from our reporter AND SCIENTIST in kabul, tim djahanga.
Thank you, Bob.

The streets behind me are lined with panicked people, who are even now bravely trying to keep strong by smiling and waving at the camera. Lots of people here are quite worried about the oncoming videogame epidemic, which recent scientific insight has revealed also leads to tumorous masses and a sudden relapse in virginity. Even now, the Republican House is in contact with officials here in Kabul, urging them to declare martial law and take whatever violent steps are necessary to curtail the video game violence. A recent raid against a nearby retailer has secured numerous contraband items, with an estimated street value of $10,000; steps are being taken to dispose of the illicit electronics, but the bomb squad recently had to be called in when a Nintendo handheld device was found to had been activated by a store worker; The terrorist has been brought up on charges of assault.

In a shocking twist, the same handheld devices have been linked to numerous acts of social degradation, as 3DS owners are reportedly engaging in 'street passing' a potentially sexual congress undertaken with multiple partners, often complete strangers and usually out in public. Considering minors often use such devices, FOXNews will be leading the fight and demanding that Nintendo be brought up on child prostitution charges.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Wanna find a way to develop a cure for a malady? Make a video game out of it.

Wanna find a way to help stroke victims regain their motor functions? Make a video game out of it.

Wanna know how I regained the use of my right leg after the right side of my body mysteriously neurologically died? WiiFit board and exercises. After a successful nerve block, that is.

Makes me want to tell someone to make a video game for stopping cancer or HIV/AIDS, give the internet and gaming communities the rules and constraints for the game...then tell them you dare them to try and find a solution that they haven't found yet. Betcha if something like that were to happen, I'd guess it'd be no more than three weeks before a gamer discovered something of value.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Baffle said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Wanna find a way to develop a cure for a malady? Make a video game out of it.

Wanna find a way to help stroke victims regain their motor functions? Make a video game out of it.

Wanna know how I regained the use of my right leg after the right side of my body mysteriously neurologically died? WiiFit board and exercises. After a successful nerve block, that is.

Makes me want to tell someone to make a video game for stopping cancer or HIV/AIDS, give the internet and gaming communities the rules and constraints for the game...then tell them you dare them to try and find a solution that they haven't found yet. Betcha if something like that were to happen, I'd guess it'd be no more than three weeks before a gamer discovered something of value.
I'm really sorry if I've missed something here (I've had a few). Are you saying that if you made a game in which the aim was to cure cancer or AIDS, then within three week the gaming community would have discovered something of value towards curing these conditions? I don't want to take the piss, but I don't think curing cancer is a case of pressing square, circle, triangle, etc. in the correct order; I think it involved all sorts of nonsense like ... science and such. I'm going to keep giving my money to Cancer Research.
Point is that if you made a video game out of trying to either stop or cure maladies, including all of the complexities of biological sciences, medicine and whatnot, and then told the gaming community about said game and egged them on how difficult it would be to do that, there's a good chance that someone, somewhere will find a way to achieve the goal of the game in a relatively short amount of time.

Oh, and by all means, I'd give my money to Cancer Research, as well...if it wasn't the holiday season...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so basically the game is same muscle and motor skills exercise that they normally get, except wrapped in kinect game. sort of how WiiFit somehow made exercise "gaming". good for them i guess.

Capcha: fruit salad.
yes, i know i need more of those.

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
videogames are awesome at engaging the mind and the mind has extremely powerful effect over your body and its ability to recover.