Grand Theft Auto V In 2009?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto V In 2009?

From the Wild and Unsubstantiated Rumors Department comes word that Rockstar North [http://www.rockstarnorth.com/] is already well into development on the next Grand Theft Auto title, and that it may be ready in time for Christmas 2009.

Grand Theft Auto V is already in the works and "should be ready for release this holiday season," according to a Loose Talk report in the latest issue of Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/]. "We're not talking about new DLC or a collection of previously available DLC, we're talking about a full retail game," the report says. "We expect this title to follow the suit of previous GTAs and use a subtitle such as GTA: San Andreas, etc. Tokyo might be a possible setting for the game, but details are non-existent at this time."

It sounds like a ridiculously fast turn-around time, particularly given that Grand Theft Auto III [http://www.xbox.com].

So, possible? Absolutely. Likely? No way. Interesting rumor? You betcha. Stay tuned for updates.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
I think the chance of a new GTA next year is about as high as a new Zelda: somewhere between 0.1% and 0.2%.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Yeah, okay. Stop blowin' smoke. This won't hit shelves for another 2 years. What a load of crap.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Yup, just like GTA IV was supposed to launch Q4 2007 and was pushed back to Q2 2008. Even if it was scheduled, it wouldn't meet it's initial release date. When has Rockstar ever met an initial release date?

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Well GTA IV was thoroughly boring and mostly crap. I wonder what stereotyped character they're going to put in the next one. Not like I care, it'll be as bland and boring as the other ones.

DarthKaos666

Apr 24, 2008
I would say this is a tough one to swallow but not impossible. To really know the chances we would need to know the size of Rockstar's staff and has it increased. Also are there any other games or downloadable content being worked on? What is there department structure. If you have separate teams working on game engine upgrades, new downloadable content, and one working on a new game, maybe it would be possible.

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
I think GTA4 turned a lot of fans off from the series and a quick turnaround will cause a rockstar to only generate a fraction of the sales gta4 produced. They need to wait at least two years in order for fans can get the bad taste of GTA4 out of their mouth and be willing to invest in a new GTA.

Where would it be anyways? Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, or Dubai would all make interesting new locations. If they want to stay domestic Washington DC is about the last really interesting new place to go. I don't know of fans would put up with a return to an old city like Vice or one of the San Andreas Cities. It also seems unlikely that were going to get multiple cities again but if they go that route I'd loved to see a fictional England get the San Andreas treatment with London as the centerpiece.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Hahahahahaha oh man, that is histarical...

It took Rockstar years and years to get GTAIV. The chance that GTAV would come out in 09 is about the same as seeing the revival of the Virtual Boy.

Besides, Rockstar is working on DLC for GTAIV that is supposed to come out this year. Why would they make another game when they are still making DLC for the previous one?

Kriegsherr

Jan 10, 2009
And even if it does, you won't see it on PC for another 6 months after christmas. Only downside to not owning a console and putting all your cash into the 40-foot impenetrable fortress you call a gaming PC, well I do at least, you guys probably have other names, like Clive.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
yeah gta V probably is a bit far tbh, though i was expecting a follow on featuring one of the other realms being vice city or san andreas, so who knows :D

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
GTA5: Console release, 2010 (not any sooner)
Following that, badly ported port for PC comes out in 2011. 1 patch, no further support. IF there will be a port.