PS4 Enjoys Best Console Launch Of All Time Says Analyst DFC

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
PS4 Enjoys Best Console Launch Of All Time Says Analyst DFC

The PS4 outsold the Xbox One at US retail.

As both consoles launched to great fanfare, the question on everyone's mind was, which would outsell the other? Well, the answer's in: the PS4 outsold the Xbox One in the US, thanks in part to launching a week ahead of Microsoft's console. The PS4 has had the best console launch of all time, in terms of total hardware unit sales, says analyst DFC.

Xbox One claims more than over 1 million sold in North America within 24 hours [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130464-Xbox-One-Sells-2-Million-In-18-Days] - making it the US retail top seller.

"Thank you for making the PS4 the biggest launch in PlayStation history," says Sony.

The US retail top 10 title list is pretty much as you'd expect. The only mild surprise - and not much of one - is Grand Theft Auto V which, appropriately enough, holds the #5 spot on NPD's chart. It's the only game in the top 5 that isn't available on either of the two new consoles. It's insanely popular [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128014-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Breaks-1-Billion-In-Three-Days], granted, but to still hold a position in the charts when two major consoles are smacking each other around with launch titles is an achievement in itself.

The full list is:

#1: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U)

#2: Battlefield 4 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

#3: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U)

#4: Madden NFL 25 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

#5: Grand Theft Auto 5 (Xbox 360, PS3)

#6: NBA 2K14 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

#7: Skylanders: SWAP Force (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS)

#8: Just Dance 2014 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, Wii)

#9: Disney Infinity (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Wii, 3DS)

#10: FIFA 14 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Vita)

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-13-playstation-4-outsells-the-xbox-one-in-us-retail]

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
*annnnd wait for Xboners to rage about numbers being wrong*

Still seeing Xbones at my local retailers sitting on the shelf, and no PS4s in weeks.... So not really all that surprised.

Meh both of them are still overpriced midgrade PCs....

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Sure, maybe in sales, but in content? Nowhere near close. I'd say that the NES, SNES, or GBA shares that honor.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
...to no real surprise at all. It was inevitable that Sony would win the pre-release hype contest, especially after all of Microsoft's blunders and backpedaling. It's not like it's a landslide victory, though (since we are excluding Japan for obvious reasons). Heck, considering how expensive it is, I'm surprised the Xbox One did as well as it did.

I hate beating old adages to death, but the PS4 has won the battle, not the war.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
slash2x said:

Still seeing Xbones at my local retailers sitting on the shelf, and no PS4s in weeks.... So not really all that surprised
That's what made me laugh when IGN (i think) did a news report saying the Xbone outsold the PS4 over Black Friday. Hard to buy something that is sold out :p

Seriously I was at a store talking with a clerk when a woman asked about buying a PS4 and they were sold out and to check back in a week. Granted that was after black Friday but still, you can't satisfy demand if you don't have any supply. Be interesting to know how many of those Xbone sales would have PS4 if there had been any available.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
It's selling so well there isn't a single PS4 to be found in a store anywhere near to where I live :<

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Info-graphic is a bit disingenuous to put the XBone and Wii on the same tier despite XBone selling an additional .4 million units.

Congrats to Sony, but it's not exactly a wide margin, only .1 million consoles. I'd very much like to see the PS4 become another PS2 considering that's my favorite system of all time, but only time is gonna tell us the truth.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
Elamdri said:
Info-graphic is a bit disingenuous to put the XBone and Wii on the same tier despite XBone selling an additional .4 million units.

Congrats to Sony, but it's not exactly a wide margin, only .1 million consoles. I'd very much like to see the PS4 become another PS2 considering that's my favorite system of all time, but only time is gonna tell us the truth.
I notice that too, why is the Xbox at the bottom when it sold more than the Wii and the PS2? It's just a strange way to format the graphic if this is supposed to be an objective analysis.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
MinionJoe said:
slash2x said:

Still seeing Xbones at my local retailers sitting on the shelf, and no PS4s in weeks....
Yo Slash, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish but the XBone had one of the best launches of all time. One of the best launches of all time!

;)
Why did I imagine you doing that in this guys voice and excitement level....

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why do all the consoles get different regions counted?
How about global numbers for all launches?
Skewed statistics much?

somersetsaxon

Mar 11, 2010
I'm not really getting the infographic either. I thought it was based on the population it was being sold to, hence the fact that the xbox one is 4th on the list despite having the second highest number. But to my mind that would make the PS2 a run away winner. Selling 1.4M units in Japan alone, with a population of 130M approximately compared to 2.1M sales across the US and Europe with populations of 300M each (that number for Europe is probably out by a fair way, but it's in that sort of region) seems to suggest that if that was how the infographic was being arranged that the PS2 should be the clear winner.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
And just look at that Top 10 list, will ya? Seven out of ten games are sequels. Beautiful..In the top 5 list, every game have at least FOUR games under their belt already. Holy shit, the stagnation..

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Realitycrash said:
And just look at that Top 10 list, will ya? Seven out of ten games are sequels. Beautiful..In the top 5 list, every game have at least FOUR games under their belt already. Holy shit, the stagnation..
Don't you mean 9/10 are sequels? Disney Infinity is the only one among the bunch that is a new IP and it's still just a Skylanders clone.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Church185 said:
Realitycrash said:
Don't you mean 9/10 are sequels? Disney Infinity is the only one among the bunch that is a new IP and it's still just a Skylanders clone.
I could only speak about those I knew for certain. Never heard of Skylander, actually.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Saw a graphic the other week think it was the top movies for 1990 something vs the top movies for 2010 or something, almost every movie were sequals or spin offs, the ones in 1990 almost of of them were original IPs.

We are in a decade of the sequal where all out business leaders are looking for the easy thing the most bank for their buck and treat original ideas like the plague.

Course consumers seems to support this tread, so there is no real reason for them to stop churning out remakes and nostalgia cash ins.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Realitycrash said:
I could only speak about those I knew for certain. Never heard of Skylander, actually.
Skylanders have been out for a couple years, this is the third version of the game I believe. Even that is based off of the Spyro the Dragon series...

Didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you. I'm actually just as surprised as you are that there aren't more new IPs up there.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i wonder what the numbers would be if there were actually any PS4 available for sale for people that want to buy them.

loa said:
Why do all the consoles get different regions counted?
How about global numbers for all launches?
Skewed statistics much?
that is global numbers, they released in different regions. they for soem reason seem to be unable to release everywhere at once because fuck people that want to buy them right?

cerebus23 said:
Saw a graphic the other week think it was the top movies for 1990 something vs the top movies for 2010 or something, almost every movie were sequals or spin offs, the ones in 1990 almost of of them were original IPs.

We are in a decade of the sequal where all out business leaders are looking for the easy thing the most bank for their buck and treat original ideas like the plague.

Course consumers seems to support this tread, so there is no real reason for them to stop churning out remakes and nostalgia cash ins.
Yes, you know on movie forums there is a saying flating which is based on an old movie: When there is no more room in hoolywood sequels will roam the earth.
When new game comes out i always end up getting the 1st one in the series because im obsessive like that (got to start from 1st), and that is usually better than sequelitis. There were god seuqles and improvements (for example Paradox game sequels are always improvements on the old game, sometimes redoing it all in a whole new engine), but then we look at something like Battlefrield, COD or AC and i just get sad.

razaelsrevenge

Oct 20, 2013
Eh, I'm not really taking up for the Xbox One when I say this, but a lot of people I run into at our store(Yeah, I work for a major retailer of video games) who are wondering about an Xbox One, don't realise that Microsoft reversed all of those evil policies they had. And, even if you don't have the internet you can still get the first update by going to your local library and manually downloading it on a flash drive, or taking your system over to someone's house who does have the internet. Somewhat of a pain in the ass, but also it's something that's completely doable. I've sold more Xbox Ones by actually educating people on it, versus just letting it sit behind the counter and not say a thing about it to them when they look at it.

Also, a lot of people have actually just stopped looking for the next gen systems(at least in my area) and just assume you don't have any of them, whether they wanted an Xbox One of PS4, so whatever you might have available just sits there until someone comes in. Again, not trying to take up for the Xbox One, but it's just something I've noticed and wonder if it plays a bigger role in things across the country/globe than just in my little on horse town.