Nintendo 3DS Exceeds 10 Million Units Sold in North America

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Nintendo 3DS Exceeds 10 Million Units Sold in North America

The one-two punch of Pokemon and Zelda resulted in a lot of new 3DS owners this past November.

Nintendo's November sales figures painted a pretty rosy picture for the company's latest handheld, which just hit a milestone of 10.5 million in lifetime sales. Of that amount, 770,000 units were sold during November alone. Recent software launches, like October's Pokemon X and Pokemon Y and November's The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, helped further push sales of the handheld system. Each of the two Pokemon games sold more than 225,000 across physical and digital distribution platforms, which brings the total number of Pokemon games sold 2.35 million. A Link Between Worlds sold 280,000 physical and digital copies, and that number increases to 405,000 if you include special Black Friday pack-in deals at Target, which included both the game and the 3DS system.

The new wave of 3DS owners also pushed sales of other first-party Nintendo titles, some of which saw a sales percentage increase measured in the triple digits. Paper Mario: Sticker Star saw the biggest bump, with a 280 percent sales increase over October, according to Nintendo. Other games that saw big leaps over their October sales were Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, with a 140 percent increase, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, with a 105 percent increase, Mario Kart 7, at a 130 percent increase, and Super Mario 3D Land whose sales went up by 235 percent.

It wasn't as happy a report for the Wii U, unfortunately. Its sales for November were estimated to be at about 220,000, which Nintendo did point out is an increase in sales by 340 percent. It clearly faced some stiff competition, though, from the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130508-PS4-Enjoys-Best-Console-Launch-Of-All-Time-Says-Analyst-DFC>launch of two other next generation consoles that month. Super Mario World 3D did sell 215,000 units for the month, but was unable to break into the top 10 software sales list for November.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-13-nintendo-3ds-surpasses-10-million-sold-in-na>GamesIndustry.biz

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Now if we could just get some games for the damn thing. C'mon publishers, start making quality games for the system, not more pet/brat shit.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
Baresark said:
Now if we could just get some games for the damn thing. C'mon publishers, start making quality games for the system, not more pet/brat shit.
If you're a fan of JRPGs the system already has a pretty wide variety of quality games - this year saw Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV as fairly popular releases, as well as a large number of lesser-known but still very good games. This is putting aside the two massively popular games that were sort of mentioned in the article. Overall I'm pretty happy with my 3DS and every time I complete a game, there's another one just released that I want to play. Part of that might be because I'm a grad student who also works full time, but eh.

What kinds of games would you like to see for the system?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Tastum said:
Baresark said:
If you're a fan of JRPGs the system already has a pretty wide variety of quality games - this year saw Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV as fairly popular releases, as well as a large number of lesser-known but still very good games. This is putting aside the two massively popular games that were sort of mentioned in the article. Overall I'm pretty happy with my 3DS and every time I complete a game, there's another one just released that I want to play. Part of that might be because I'm a grad student who also works full time, but eh.

What kinds of games would you like to see for the system?
That is a good question. I'm not entirely sure, but good releases are few and far between while the Disney kiddy stuff is a weekly occurrence. I thoroughly enjoyed Fire Emblem, Zelda, all of that stuff. I would just like to see more new IP on it besides more tried and true sequels to games everyone knows will sell well. I did get a ridiculous amount of playtime out of Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem. I still need to pick up Shin Megami Tensei IV. But I kind of miss going to a store and seeing a million games on the shelf where I'm unsure what to buy because of all the promise out there. If you go to a store and look at the 3DS shelf, it's a fraction the size of other shelves despite the systems age and you see the same titles in the same spot with very little change. I just want to see more on the system I guess. More original IP's that don't waste their time with gimmicks. I like the JRPG selections, but I wouldn't mind seeing more platformers for example.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Baresark said:
You mean other than the mentioned ones in the article? I don't think it would have hit 10 million units sold without any games backing it.

But...
Super Mario 3D Land
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Pokemon X and Y
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Etrian Odyssey 4
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Bravely Default
Crimson Shroud
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
Rune Factory 4
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Liberation Maiden
Virtue's Last Reward
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Resident Evil Revelations

and eshop releases of Mega Man 2-6, Zelda, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons and Ages, and more.

and in the not so distant future you've got
Persona Q
Super Smash Bros 3D

and a maybe on Monster Hunter 4 though I wouldn't hold my breath until an HD version is announced.

Damn, someone beat me to it.

Zelgon

Jul 28, 2010
Bah. In my opinion the 3DS has the strongest library of any "newer" console right now. To say it needs more good games... I don't think I can agree with that. Maybe part of the 3DS success is it's competition and how badly it's going in comparison.

I've been a 3DS owner since the beginning when the price was ridiculous and I haven't regretted my decision even then, that ambassador program was an awesome "I'm sorry for dropping the price so much" I've seen from a company.

But then again, I've always been and probably always will be a Nintendo Fanboy so what doesn't my opinion really matter haha

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
When saying "3DS", is the article also including sales of the 2DS? If not, I'd be curious to see how that's selling by comparison, and if so, I'd want to see the breakdown of the 770,000 November number between 3DS, 3DSXL, and 2DS.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Baresark said:
Seriously? There's more excellent games on the 3DS than any other handheld in history.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not familiar with the handheld market at all, so is 10 mill in 2 and half years good? If it is then congratulations, Nintendo. And it's really good to see the Wii U starting to pick up. I hope it stays steady or rises in the coming months.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
144 said:
When saying "3DS", is the article also including sales of the 2DS? If not, I'd be curious to see how that's selling by comparison, and if so, I'd want to see the breakdown of the 770,000 November number between 3DS, 3DSXL, and 2DS.
When figures refer to the 3DS then they are also including it's revisions, in this case the 2DS is also included in this along with the XL and regular 3DS.
Although a larger breakdown would be interesting. I'm still surprised that it only sold 770k in November considering that November is the largest shopping season of the year and the 2DS was only $99 as well.

OT: Not bad, good thing they got the 3DS a good traction. Now Nintendo, stop focusing on it and work on the Wii U because only selling 220K units puts you at Dreamcast levels of sales in the same time frame. >.<

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
My dear adorable little brother may have accidentally spilled the beans about my parents acquiring a 3DS for xmas for me this year, so...yeah unsurprising. I have lamented a little bit being out of the loop when it comes to my less PC savy gaming friends, about their pokemons and their zeldas.

If said 'psst don't tell' rumour is true then I'll be joining the droves soon.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Baresark said:
Uhm frankly I don't think its lacking at this point. Unless you mean exclusives be even there... Its got quite the collection of titles this year alone.

Bobipine

Jan 22, 2010
Well I did finally get myself a 3DS when pokemon came out.. so I might be in those numbers.
For the WiiU... well it is the next console I plan on getting.. but it might just have to wait because budget... from what I've seen so far the competition doesn't appeal that much to me, I guess I just want my marios and zeldas and the likes, you know what you are getting... but if you like them, what's the problem?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Good for them. It's a solid handheld that I think was initially held back by the price and 3D stigma.

(That is, once people got over the wow factor of glassesless 3D and started getting reports of eyestrain and headaches)

144 said:
That's what I was wondering, too.

Zeriah said:
Seriously? There's more excellent games on the 3DS than any other handheld in history.
I have trouble believing it surpasses the GBA.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
Count me in the crowd that fell for the Pokemon-Zelda combo. That beautiful Zelda edition 3DS XL sealed the deal. Now if only Wii U sales could surge like that -- or rather, if only Nintendo could come up with a reason for me to buy a Wii U.

And even with already owning those two big games, there's still plenty of other games I'm interested in getting. Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, etc. I'm also now avidly looking forward to Super Smash Bros for the 3DS.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Now, if only Nintendo could do the same thing with the Wii U... a Majora's Mask remake would be an instant buy, Nintendo (*hinthintnudgenudge*)

Ah, well, I'll just have to settle for a remake of my third favorite game in the world, OoT... as well as Pokemon X, MH3U, 3D Land, Z:ALBW, Mario Kart 7, KH3D... etc.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
Brian Tams said:
Now, if only Nintendo could do the same thing with the Wii U... a Majora's Mask remake would be an instant buy, Nintendo (*hinthintnudgenudge*)

Ah, well, I'll just have to settle for a remake of my third favorite game in the world, OoT... as well as Pokemon X, MH3U, 3D Land, Z:ALBW, Mario Kart 7, KH3D... etc.
I doubt Majora's Mask would be a major system seller if Ocarina of Time didn't set the 3DS on fire and Wind Waker HD didn't put much wind in the Wii U's sales (you can execute me for bad punnery now). Old, re-released content is not what attracts people to a system. You may have a niche audience that wants to see that new content in handheld form or in shiny HD, but you'll have just as many who feel they don't need to put $200 or $300 down just to play a game they already played and probably still can play.

No, what we're seeing is that new content -- a new Pokemon game and a new Zelda game -- gets people out to the stores to buy systems to play them on. The Wii U needs a new Zelda game, a new (good) Metroid game, a new Starfox game. Nintendo only just now released Super Mario 3D World, and while the game is great by all accounts, it's just Mario. It's the sort of thing everyone who is already buying a Wii U would pick up, but not something you would buy a Wii U just to play. It doesn't inspire the kind of fan obsession that Zelda or Metroid does. What Nintendo has thrived on in times of success and survived on in times of stress has been releasing new first party games. Wind Waker and Metroid Prime on the low-selling Gamecube are easy examples. They've dragged their feet with releasing new first party content on the 3DS and Wii U, and their bottom line is suffering for it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Brian Tams said:

I'm in total agreement, they need MM on the 3DS. I'm not a big fan of OoT, but the remake was superb, not only did they up the graphics, the mirrored Master Quest was like playing a whole new game.

Also need more old title games! The collection of original NES, Sega, Gameboy, and Gamegear games are a great start, but throw in a ton more and the 3DS is unbeatable.