Official Mega Man Board Game Kickstarted in One Day

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Official Mega Man Board Game Kickstarted in One Day

[kickstarter=1821440755/mega-mantm-the-board-game/]

Publisher Jasco nets more than double its $70,000 asking price with more than a month left to go.

An officially-licensed Mega Man board game has already blown the doors off its Kickstarter goal, after only being on the site for a day. With 36 days to go, contributors have already pitched in more than $187,000, more than doubling the original goal of $70,000. The game is designed for two to eight players, with one taking on the role of Mega Man while the others control Dr. Wily's Robot Masters attempting to stop the Blue Bomber. Publisher Jasco, makers of the "Universal Fighting System" collectible card game, describe their project as a "side scrolling board game." Play progresses through the various stages of the Robot Masters, with players using decks of cards to navigate challenges or create new ones for the Mega Man player to overcome. And, true to the games, if the Mega Man player can best one of his foes he'll walk away with their signature abilities in tow.

Stretch goals already unlocked include card add-on packs for characters such as Ice Man, Fire Man and Elec Man. Also unlocked are additional Mega Man models and an entire expansion based around Guts Man, which will include a new stage, figure and deck of ability cards. The next stretch goal will unlock at $210,000, though no description for it was available on the Kickstarter page.

The game is set to be released October of 2014. A pledge of $70 will get U.S. backers a copy of the game. The board game can also be sent to Canada or Mexico for an additional $15 in shipping. Sales are limited to North America due to Jasco's licensing agreement with Capcom. Jasco took the project to Kickstarter so they could get funding for extra material and a more polished product, according to their page on the site. It also gave fans of the series "a chance to show their support for Mega Man and be involved in this exciting process."

Source: Kickstarter via <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2013/12/13/mega-man-board-game-kickstarter-launches-gets-fully-funded#.Uqt1kuKLA1M>GamePolitics.com

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
North America only... Goddammit.

Ah well, maybe now Capcom might consider a new game. Or not, because they're stupid.
I'm sorry for calling them stupid, I'm just really upset I can't get the board game.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Between this and Mighty No. 9 I really don't see how crapcom can say there is no interest in Megaman. I have a feeling that "no interest" is just a smokescreen and the truth is that it simply takes less effort to make lazy Dead Rising sequels and re re re re release SF4.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
SonofaJohannes said:

Ah well, maybe now Capcom might consider a new game. Or not, because they're stupid.
I'm sorry for calling them stupid, I'm just really upset I can't get the board game.
Soooo, if I get two board games and send you one...are they still stupid?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
And once again the only love for Mega Man is coming from unaffiliated fans of the franchise, while Capcom seeks out ever-larger feet to shove in their mouths. Happy 25th anniversary, Rock! Your daddy left to go raise a new son because your psycho foster mother won't let him visit you anymore! Oh, and she won't let your friends come over to play either. And you're not allowed to leave the house. Even for your birthday. Especially for your birthday.

person427

May 28, 2009
What is this? Another Board Game on Kickstarter that I probably can't afford? What's that? It goes past Christmas so I can back it after my funds refill? Oh, well then, maybe I'll consid- HOLY METTAURS IT'S A MEGA MAN GAME??? FIGURINES OF THE ROBOT MASTERS??? This can't be true, this has to be a dream. I'm going to wake up any minute now in disappointment, right?

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Maybe I'm just not getting it and I love me some megaman, but aside from the models looking neat, the board game itself looks like crap. I mean, nothing excites me at all about it seeing the promo video and it seems so bland.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
major_chaos said:
Between this and Mighty No. 9 I really don't see how crapcom can say there is no interest in Megaman. I have a feeling that "no interest" is just a smokescreen and the truth is that it simply takes less effort to make lazy Dead Rising sequels and re re re re release SF4.
This.
King Whurdler said:
Capcom: 'What are you talking about? There's absolutely ZERO interest in a new Mega-Man game! People want lackluster Resident Evil sequels, and new Dead Rising games! No one wants fucking Mega-Man 11.'
Don't forget all those new editions for games already released that nobody asked for! Can't wait to pay for Ultra Street Fighter 4 - it has a new announcer!!! Omg, the innovation! Also, maybe they make a new MvC3 version cause a single update with UMvC3 simply isn't enough!

On topic: yeah, Capcom not doing anything Megaman is retarded beyond belief. I remember when Megaman Zero and Megaman Battle Network were released hand-in-hand. You played a game of either series, had a good time with their gameplay and story, and after a year the next installment of both series were released which - omg - were actually new games building on the story where the previous games ended and went from there. Continuity - who would have thought that would ever work in a Megaman series?

I always thought Battle Network was especially great in that. Together with the pacing the games were released at and the development of the people in ACDC Town with the world around it: it kinda felt like growing up together with Lan. But maybe that's just me. And what can I say about Megaman Zero? Ciel. Harpuia. Master X. Omega. I didn't know 'awesomeness' could be spelled in so many ways. :p

ZX was also a great series, but the fact that the game doesn't have a definite lead character for a) having a male and female version selectable in each game and b) changing the characters from ZX to ZX Advent... doing both of those, it kind of affected the appeal ZX had in a bad way. It felt like they tried to please everyone by not making any definite decisions themselves on the character part. But it's hard to get excited over a plot when you aren't even certain whether the character you are playing as is canon or not. They should have made it definite with Vent/Ashe or Aile/Grey (probably the former, though I loved Aile). Also, having ZX Advent end on a cliffhanger and leaving it at that is a dickmove from Capcom.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
SonofaJohannes said:

Soooo, if I get two board games and send you one...are they still stupid?
Well, I still think they should make more Mega Man games, but if you sent me the board game I'd be a lot less grumpy, and thus less vocal about it.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
You... you know, Capcom, it almost seems like people still really want Megaman stuff. ...no? Still nothing? 'K, have fun not lining your pockets with more gobs of cash than you know what to do with.