Sony's House: We're Overjoyed At PS4 Success, Supply Is Our Priority

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony's House: We're Overjoyed At PS4 Success, Supply Is Our Priority

Sony's pretty confident it will sell 5 million consoles by next March.

Sony's goal of the moment, says Andrew House, is to back up its spectacular initial PS4 sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/8576-PS4-Projected-to-Win-Console-War] with additional supply, something he admits will be difficult for the rest of the calendar year. "Hopefully we'll be able to satisfy that pent-up demand as we get out to January and February," he says, and Sony will do everything it can to make sure more consoles hit retail shelves for Christmas. It's still pretty confident it will make its 5 million sales target by next March, and at the moment it has every reason to be.

Cloud gaming is on its way, House promises, in 2014. "We're taking a very gradual, step-by-step approach," he says, "because, first and foremost, we want to ensure that it's a good experience for consumers." Eventually this is how Sony intends to achieve a form of backwards compatibility, bringing PS3 experiences to its new console.

He attributes the PS4's success to its central message: it's a gaming console first and foremost, not a jack-of-all-trades device that tries to do everything at once, with gaming as some kind of sideline.

"People are recognising that it's a best-in-class games platform," he says, even though he admits the console hasn't got the best launch title line-up. DriveClub and Watch Dogs, delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129739-Ubisoft-Next-Gen-Launch-Franchises-Have-Rocky-Starts], are titles House hopes gamers will look out for.

Source: Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/16/playstation-andrew-house-ps4-sony]

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
What's fucking annoying is the lack of games. You have to wait until next year for it to really start kicking off, at the moment it's mostly sports and fps or this cross gen stuff (which I am convinced aren't be as good as pure next gen games).

I have a ps4 but the only game I am playing is kill zone. Resogun is more of a grind for platinum and I just don't enjoy it, war frame is just a grind, black light is like dust 514 (loads of shit with no explanation), contrast is boring, the f2p plane game whose name escapes me has bad controls.

It's annoying to have the next gen machine sat there but nothing to really play ... not to mention I only have a HD ready tv that is on it's way out!

Watch dogs was a huge hit to take in the launch line up but I hope PS4 outsells the PS2.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah yeah, PS3 games on PS4 through "the cloud".

What about PS2 games? And PS1 games? It'd be a real shame, and a big waste, if those libraries just disappeared, never to be experienced again by anyone ever again.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Karloff said:
he admits the console hasn't got the best launch title line-up. DriveClub and Watch Dogs, delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129739-Ubisoft-Next-Gen-Launch-Franchises-Have-Rocky-Starts], are titles House hopes gamers will look out for.
While Watch_Dogs isn't actually a PS exclusive, it drives a strong point. If you look at the PS4 box's artwork, the games and characters highlighted include Watch_Dogs and Infamous: Second Son, neither of which is going to be out for several more months. People see that on the console box and think they can play it, so there'll be plenty of ticked off customers. Well, at least they can play Flower on PSN ^.^

Irridium said:

What about PS2 games? And PS1 games? It'd be a real shame, and a big waste, if those libraries just disappeared, never to be experienced again by anyone ever again.
It's a good point, but with Gaikai they could easily do that if they chose to (and most surely will, but only once they get the PS3 stuff sorted out).

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm glad that the PS4 is doing well and everything, but at the moment it really sounds like they should have waited. They've got a small set of launch titles, backwards compatibility is still on the way, and supply is short. I may be getting a PS4, but I'm going to wait until after Christmas, once I know I'll be able to find one, and be able to do everything on it that it's supposed to do.

Also, I like how the PS4 keeps on saying it's not the Xbone. We get it, you guys didn't make horrible mistakes like Microsoft did, now get back to work making actual reasons to buy your console.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Irridium said:

They should be able to sell them as digital downloads as they do now on PS3. As for the streaming service, I'm not sure they can support the entire catalog at once. I imagine it'll be the top 100 per region.

OT: This is a very different message from the PS3 launch when it was all about the all in one experience when they were pushing bluray technology.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Irridium said:

Yeah, i'm still dissapointed that it can't read ps1 discs, didn't seem like a problem on the ps1 so i kinda hoped they would carry it over to the ps4, but i guess not :/.

Streaming is probably okay, but considering that you'll probably only be able to play a select few of the most popular titles and that it will take them ages to build up a decent library (if ps3 and wii is anything to go by), it really doesn't seem that promising. And even more fun, EU will probably get classics like Disneys Mermaid while Us gets All the good stuff.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I was at work today and I heard my coworker say over the walkie (at about two in the afternoon) that if anyone calls, we do have PS4s in stock. For a brief moment my ears perked up, but then I remembered:

There's nothing to play on the thing.

Fix that problem, Sony, and then I'll consider it. If you had made it so I could play some old games on it--either the PlayStation or PS2 games OR PS3 games (note that I didn't say 'and,' just 'or') and I would have got it a long time ago. Sadly, there is nothing on the horizon that looks like it's going to change my mind soon.