Original Tomb Raider Available on iOS

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Original Tomb Raider Available on iOS

Tomb Raider was notable when it first launched in 1996, but a mobile release of the classic game may be difficult to play.

Tomb Raider was legendary for its original release. Starring an adventuring female protagonist, the PlayStation, Sega Saturn, and PC game featured exploration and combat. Seventeen years later, the classic game is available on iOS devices. The game went live on iTunes today.

The iOS version is an unedited version of the original release, except for the inclusion of two extra chapters that were included in the 1998 rerelease. While the game does have on-screen controls for movement and camera changes, it also supports game controllers such as the MOGA Ace Power and the Logitech PowerShell. Without a controller, the game may be difficult with touchscreen controls. You can, however, adjust the placement of the controls on-screen.

For newcomers, Tomb Raider stars Lara Croft, an archaeologist who is recovering pieces of an ancient artifact. The player controls Lara to run, fight, and explore. Lara fights with dual pistols and can be quite the acrobat. Lara must kill dangerous creatures like bears, wolves, centaurs, and dinosaurs.

The iOS version is only 99 cents, making it at least worth a try for anyone who's a longtime fan of the series. Among the sequels, movie, and reboot, it's nice to take another look at the franchise's roots. If anything, it's great to see the reboot version of Lara Croft compared to the original, boxy Lara Croft.

Source: TouchArcade [https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id663820495?mt=8]

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I still can't believe the games that I needed a giant grey box in my living room to play in my child can now fit in my pocket. 8 year old me mind would have been blown if he knew that.

Although I do remember the controls in the original Tomb Raider being a right pain even with a controller. Controlling with a touch screen sounds like a nightmare, those add on controllers will have to be necessity to actually enjoy the game on ios.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
They said it couldn't be done, but finally someone has come up with a way to make Tomb Raider's controls even worse.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
megs1120 said:
They said it couldn't be done, but finally someone has come up with a way to make Tomb Raider's controls even worse.
My thought exactly. I like the TR franchise, but the first was a frustrating game on any input device. I can't imagine the horror of playing it on a touchscreen.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I still can't believe the games that I needed a giant grey box in my living room to play in my child can now fit in my pocket. 8 year old me mind would have been blown if he knew that.
Oh, we were able to do that 5 years ago and more. The phones that are released this year have the processing pwoer to play games from 2005 even, this is a very old game even for phones, it would be like re-releasing the first Age of Empires on mac or something.
Now if they were to do something like, i dont know, Crysis on a iphone, that would be impressive concentration of power. Alas, they cant, but if consoles keep stagnating the hardware they may just as well quite soon.