Ubisoft: Watch Dogs Could Have Been The Top Launch Title

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009

Ubisoft is hoping for Grand Theft Auto V-level success for its cyberpunk dystopia.

"I'll tell you, at Gamescom, everybody was looking each other in the eye thinking we would be there at launch," says Ubisoft's Laurent Detoc. "Then eventually, a month later, we said, 'this is not gonna fly.' Then it takes a few more weeks to decide how we're going to package that news for everyone." Not a happy moment for anyone involved, particularly since Watch Dogs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129739-Ubisoft-Next-Gen-Launch-Franchises-Have-Rocky-Starts] could have been the top launch title on both new consoles, Detoc believes.

It was a painful decision, but a necessary one. Watch Dogs just wasn't there yet, and it needed the extra time. Ubisoft could just shoot for a quick release and take the hit, but quality, thinks Detoc, is more important. It's about long term strategy, building up the brand; that creates loyalty, and fostering customer loyalty is good business.

"It's why we built all these studios. We have this motto inside the company: we want games to enrich people's lives. Starting from there, you give a lot of creative freedom to anybody and everybody who wants to do some game that can go along with that."

Ubisoft still believes Watch Dogs is a strong product, and has the potential to enjoy Grand Theft Auto V levels of success. All it really lacks is the history; Watch Dogs is a completely new IP, while GTA the brand is a hit-making juggernaut. "I can only hope we get to that level," says Detoc.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/16/why-ubisoft-delays-games]

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Well, we criticise EA for rushing out buggy unfinished games just to hit a deadline, so I have to give credit where credit is due; Putting your game back to miss the largest console launches in history which simultaneously suffers from having very few games for those consoles takes guts, and it probably will have cost Ubi a tonne of cash, but it's better for the game and us when it eventually arrives.

And I still hate their PC DRM / late release dates.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Karloff said:
Watch Dogs is a completely new IP, while GTA the brand is a hit-making juggernaut. "I can only hope we get to that level," says Detoc.
What level?
That level of mindless sequels and stagnation?
I know Ubisoft likes to milk their titles to the max (see Assassin's Creed) so no surprise if Watch Dogs gets the same treatment if it becomes successful.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Well, we criticise EA for rushing out buggy unfinished games just to hit a deadline, so I have to give credit where credit is due; Putting your game back to miss the largest console launches in history which simultaneously suffers from having very few games for those consoles takes guts, and it probably will have cost Ubi a tonne of cash, but it's better for the game and us when it eventually arrives.

Don't forget their 'yep, we're going to milk the fuck out of our franchises and not bother with standalone titles' statements.

But you're right, in this case there are better than EA.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Karloff said:
Ubisoft still believes Watch Dogs is a strong product, and has the potential to enjoy Grand Theft Auto V levels of success. All it really lacks is the history; Watch Dogs is a completely new IP, while GTA the brand is a hit-making juggernaut. "I can only hope we get to that level," says Detoc.
If they play their cards right it can get there in a few years, but I REALLY hope they aren't expecting the first entry in an untested IP to be making $800 million on day one.

Dear Ubisoft,

Whatever you do, please don't be SquareEnix. Make a practical budget and stick to it.

Your Pal,
Tiberius

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ed130 said:

Don't forget their 'yep, we're going to milk the fuck out of our franchises and not bother with standalone titles' statements.

I actually don't mind franchises, stand alone games tend to be a lot more hit and miss. Don't get me wrong, I love a good standalone game, but my favourite games are still franchise games (TES and GTA in particular) and I have no problem with them. On the contrary, I'm often up for "gimme more of that, just change up the content a bit" stuff. AC4 stagnated, but it would've been a far worse game if it was a standalone. Remember the first game? The atmosphere was good, but that's about all that was good about it. Second part and Brotherhood are where it shined for me and I don't hate the third part for anything other than the fact they took a shitty new engine for some weird reason and made a game that gave you less options, a lousy UI and both worse graphics and performance (which is always a good sign of a shitty engine).

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Vrach said:
Ed130 said:

I actually don't mind franchises, stand alone games tend to be a lot more hit and miss. Don't get me wrong, I love a good standalone game, but my favourite games are still franchise games (TES and GTA in particular) and I have no problem with them. On the contrary, I'm often up for "gimme more of that, just change up the content a bit" stuff. AC4 stagnated, but it would've been a far worse game if it was a standalone. Remember the first game? The atmosphere was good, but that's about all that was good about it. Second part and Brotherhood are where it shined for me and I don't hate the third part for anything other than the fact they took a shitty new engine for some weird reason and made a game that gave you less options, a lousy UI and both worse graphics and performance (which is always a good sign of a shitty engine).
I don't mind sequels, but the road Ubi is taking with Assassins Creed isn't exactly reassuring.

I like a good game, but one with some form of closure is even better.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
When you look at the competition it really isn't that much of a stretch to say that it would have been the best, at least in terms of quality. I don't have a list in front of me but I'm guessing AC4 was already one of the top rated games for XBone/PS4 so if it's of similar quality then it would have been possible.

Sales on the other hand... A new IP going up against CoD and Battlefield (and Assassin's Creed). Hmmm

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I guess they needed more time to monetize it. After all didnt Ubisoft promise us they wouldnt release any titles they couldnt continue to milk long after the well had gone dry? But what will it be? Microtransactions? side quests at $5 a pop? who knows what 'wonders' they have in store for us...

Oh, thats right! due to utter lack of interest i didnt buy a ps4 or xbone, so i couldnt give a rats ass about this game, or Ubisoft.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I'm not going to lie, Watch Dogs being delayed was one of the contributing factors to why I cancelled my PS4 preorder. That and apparently it''s coming to PC and I already have that.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Karloff said:
No it fucking couldn't Ubisoft, it would have been rushed and, bug ridden and we all know that.

---

Read the article now and anyway, It's good to see Ubisoft took the sensible course when it came to the release of of this one. I'm one of those people who are really excited for this title so I'm pleased that Ubisoft is really taking this one seriously. I joked a while back about waiting for Watch Dogs 2 for the better one (like what happened with Assassin's Creed) but it looks like this could be great from launch.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
... I clicked thinking they were talking about Sleeping Dogs for some reason, and that really confused me. And that's about all I have to say about that.

Well, at least they aren't rushing it now. Would've been ok I guess.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
i don't think could have been anything near GTA level hit. I still think this is just near future assassins creed, I don't have much hope for it period.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
JenSeven said:
Karloff said:
Watch Dogs is a completely new IP, while GTA the brand is a hit-making juggernaut. "I can only hope we get to that level," says Detoc.
What level?
That level of mindless sequels and stagnation?
The level of being able to sell a completely awful and broken game (im talking gta 4 here) in millions and still be held as a "Great" company. The level of being able to basically print money with the religiuos devotion of your fans.
And dont get me wrong, i like me some GTA games, San andreas is the 3rd most played game ever for me, but the way they can milk money out of people and still not be called "Evil as EA" is just amazing.