League of Legends' Snowdown Showdown Adds 1v1 Duels, New Skins

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends' Snowdown Showdown Adds 1v1 Duels, New Skins

The 2013 Snowdown Showdown event features matchmaking queues for 1v1 and 2v2 duels on the Howling Abyss map.

League of Legends is known for its focus on exceptional teamwork to win games, but what if you're more of a lone wolf? Well, the Snowdown Showdown 2013 update gives you the chance to prove you have the best dueling reflexes, by allowing players to enter a matchmaking queue for 1v1 or 2v2 duels. The update also adds new skins for Lulu, Sivr, and Singed, Christmas-themed ward skins, Mystery Gifts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130031-League-of-Legends-Lets-You-Lucky-Dip-With-Mystery-Skins] and more!

In the 1v1 and 2v2 gamemodes, games will be blind draft. Each team has the opportunity to ban out three champions, after which the game proceeds to a blind pick phase. After both teams have locked in their picks, there will be an additional period of time in which the enemy picks are revealed to each team - this gives players a chance to adjust runes, masteries and summoner spells accordingly before the match starts. Victory can be assured by one of three ways: you can score first blood (or two kills in 2v2 mode), waveclear your way to 100 CS, or demolish the enemy turret before they take down yours.

The three new skins, Snow Day Singed, Winter Wonder Lulu and Snowstorm Sivr can be purchased for 975 RP. The new ward skins, a snowman, a candy cane, and a gingerbread man, will be free to use during the event, and can be permanently unlocked for 640 RP. Check them out below:

[gallery=1976]

You'll also be able to give "mystery gifts" to your friends - which unlocks a random skin or champion that they don't own - and unlock summoner icons by performing various achviements (such as winning a matchmade game as a premade team).

Check out the official F.A.Q [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/page/snowdown-2013-faq] if you have any more questions.

Source: Riot Games [http://promo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/snowdown-2013/]

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That 1v1 mode is kind of dumb.
You start at level 1, barely make it to level ~8 and can never buy one single meaningful item since you get 0 extra cash like in dominion or ARAM and it's over if someone farms 100 minions or someone dies 1 time.

The arbitrary rules really bog it down just like randomly not being able to heal or buy until you die in ARAM turns it into a completely imbalanced pokefest.

Next please!

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Player 1: Oh I owned your lane so hard I would have won if my team haven't sucked so hard.
Player 2: Oh really?
P1: Yeah really!
P2: Well come at me bro!
P1: One on one. I'll own your sorry as you(insert racial slur or other insult here known as league speak). Send me a friend request.

This is why this gamemode is there. It first was called e-penis maesurement mode but that was a bit too obvious.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
loa said:
That 1v1 mode is kind of dumb.
You start at level 1, barely make it to level ~8 and can never buy one single meaningful item since you get 0 extra cash like in dominion or ARAM and it's over if someone farms 100 minions or someone dies 1 time.

The arbitrary rules really bog it down just like randomly not being able to heal or buy until you die in ARAM turns it into a completely imbalanced pokefest.

Next please!
...You haven't even played the damn thing have you. You CAN recall to heal and buy items.

It's kept to one-kill-win because it keeps the match nice and short and simple. The reason for 100cs and tower destruction being winning conditions is to prevent the enemy from simply sitting back and doing nothing. It requires you to either poke, trade, or make plays to win (Or cs like mad/ push the enemy tower down). I keeps things tense and forces players to actively play the game.

It's a fun gamemode that adds a bit of variety to the game (especially on OCE which only has Rift and ARAM).

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Too bad EUW died as usual and I've lost hours of ARAM fun IP, not to mention Snowdown progress :p

EUW at its best. Riot, just take the server behind a woodshed, and shoot it. It's suffering for months now.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Just played it and it's crap. The 100 cs, 1 turret/kill limit destroyed this mode.

Basically, it's like the first 10 minutes for bot lane in a regular 5v5, aka the most boring part of the game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Imre Csete said:
Too bad EUW died as usual and I've lost hours of ARAM fun IP, not to mention Snowdown progress :p

EUW at its best. Riot, just take the server behind a woodshed, and shoot it. It's suffering for months now.
Yeah the gaffa tape holding EU West together fell off again last night. It happens without fail every time they add a new game mode. Hell, it's not even the true 1v1 map because they tacked it onto Howling Abyss and it STILL fucked up. Better give NA etc etc

Riot pls

OT: Pick Jinx win game. She can fulfil any three of the win conditions at any time, I was down in farm by a fuckload by this Jayce he was on around 90 farm but low health, he shoved the wave to my tower, went back to buy and I had already 100-0'd his tower for the comeback win. She can afk farm vs most all in melee characters because lol too much disengage and y'know she's Jinx so her post 6 all in kill potential is high.

I do like the 2v2 mode even though there are some insufferable tryhards just picking a usual boring "lol Sivir/Thresh OP" bot lane combo. BRB picking Ziggs/Lissy lololololol

I just like the the 1v1 because it's short and snappy. That and I can instalock whoever I want without getting shit from my team. I need to take a leaf out of my one friend's book on communicating your picks

"Where are you going?"

"Mundo"

"Where?"

"Wherever you want, i'm playing Mundo"

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
The 1v1 mode isn't as exciting as I hoped. There's almost no variation of champs, it's all champs that are really strong early game with trading or pushing.

I've played Ziggs almost every match because I think he's a fun champ but he outpushes and outpokes just about anyone. Not very fun for the enemy

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I really don't see the value in this type of match. It really just is E-penis measuring, it's feeding a pointless aspect of the game and just gives raging players more validity to what they do.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Didn't they do the 1v1 during an LCS tournament? I seem to remember them playing on The Magma Chamber map. 1v1ing in a game thats so heavily based on team work and champion synergy seems somewhat redundant.