"Watchmen" Lawsuit Settled

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
"Watchmen" Lawsuit Settled

The 11th hour dispute comes to a close as Warner Bros and Fox have reached an agreement over the release of the upcoming comic book film.

While the terms of the agreement have yet to (and will most likely not) be disclosed, the Watchmen [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i2079648bd224e2c8075db99d3217979a]" film and plan to request a case dismissal to Judge Gary Feess.

The road from graphic novel to feature film has been long, strange and extremely troubled, as the film rights to the legendary comic were secured by producer Lawrence Gordon for Fox all the way back in 1986, while the adaptation has been shopped around to other major studios, including Universal and Paramount Pictures as early as 1988. In its latest bout of problems, 20th Century Fox filed suit against Warner Bros. in February 2008, staking claim on its original rights to the film, believing that it had, at the very least, the rights to distribute "Watchmen" and had originally sought to prevent its release.

Fox's ace in the hole rests in Gordon himself, as the studio claims that when they transferred some of the filming rights of "Watchmen" to the producer in 1991, it retained the option of distribution, sequel rights and a share of the profits should it fall into the hands of any other studio. In a separate, but related turnaround deal, it also claimed that Gordon would not fully control the rights of the adaptation until Fox's initial development costs (estimated to be around $1 million) had been reimbursed.

On December 24, 2008, it appeared as though Fox would get their way as Judge Feess ruled that he intended to grant its claim to copyright over the adaptation, threatening "Watchmen's" release, intended for March 6, 2009. To take a blow [http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-watchmen13-2009jan13,0,794434.story] of that magnitude was never in Warner Bros. best interests and so a settlement seemed inevitable from that point on. With the terms of the deal undisclosed, the Hollywood Reporter writes that it is said to included a cash payment to Fox and a percentage of the films profits on the basis that Fox will not be co-distributor, nor will they own any rights to the property from now on. The rival studios intend to release a joint statement concerning the deal this Friday.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I really hope this movie is terrible. When I look back at the production history of this movie and all the people who were interested in it - Terry Gilliam, Darren Aronofsky, Paul Greengrass (any one of those guys is at least ten times the director Zack Synder is), Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Jude Law, Sigourney Weaver, Joaquin Phoenix - I just think they hit the bottom of the barrel and produced the sort of "publish or perish" crud that I see in the trailers.

So, in other words, I hope Fox gets a percentage of 0.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I think what FOX did should be illegal. Not the other way around. They bought rights and had no intention of doing anything with it, just waiting for someone to make a movie. Then what? They don't bring this up when the thing has been announced, or even before that. No, they wait till the movie is practically done.

It's like you put a turkey in an oven for hours, and when it's finally done and ready, some asshole comes in and says "I was the one who kill that turkey!" and takes it from you.

the Hollywood Reporter writes that it is said to included a cash payment to Fox and a percentage of the films profits on the basis that Fox will not be co-distributor, nor will they own any rights to the property from now on. The rival studios intend to release a joint statement concerning the deal this Friday.

I wonder what that percentage would be. Since they didn't actually do anything with this movie.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Well that's good news. I can continue to pray that this film is going to be awesome, no way it'll live up to the comic though, obviously.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
This film is going to be either epic win or epic fail. There is no room for mediocrity when you are talking about the Greatest Graphic Novel Ever Written.

I'm glad that a settlement was reached so we could find out if Zak Snyder nailed it (admittedly unlikely) or blew it (admittedly most likely).

Oh, and Fox sucks.

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I think what FOX did should be illegal. Not the other way around. They bought rights and had no intention of doing anything with it, just waiting for someone to make a movie. Then what? They don't bring this up when the thing has been announced, or even before that. No, they wait till the movie is practically done.
Sounds like how patents have been going around, doesn't it? This could be the new money making deal in the movie industry: hold onto an IP until someone else makes it, completes it, hypes it up and then pounce on them in court.

Nondo x

Jan 15, 2009
Fox didnt want to take the risk at the beginning,
but now it looks like the film will do good it wants a share
of the profits.

IDIOTS. their actions could of potentially ruined this film.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
yeah it's not like they did anything like make a movie with no intention of releasing it just so they could keep the rights. oops they did [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(1994_movie)]

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
cleverlymadeup said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
yeah it's not like they did anything like make a movie with no intention of releasing it just so they could keep the rights. oops they did [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(1994_movie)]
Who are the assholes that created that monstrosity? Warner or Fox? Article dosn't say anything about it.

Ayrav

Dec 12, 2008
There are so many reasons that I want this movie to fail. This story was written by Alan Moore and drawn by Dave Gibbons they in turn gave it to the masses though the means of Graphic Novel. The novel belongs to everyone and to no one, just thinking about how the rich, pencil-dick, paper-pushing executives are going to be lining their already well lined coffers by claiming they have 'ownership' rights makes me want to burn modern civilization to the ground.