AK-47 Inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov Dies At 94

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
AK-47 Inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov Dies At 94

Mikhail Kalashnikov, the inventor of the legendary AK-47 assault rifle, has died.

You may not recognize Mikhail Kalashnikov's name, but you almost certainly know his work: The AK-47, an assault rifle he designed in 1947 (hence the name) which went on to become one of the most famous, influential and instantly recognizable firearms in the world. Renowned for its simplicity, ruggedness and reliability, Kalashnikov's rifle has seen use throughout the world by regular military forces, paramilitaries, terrorists and low-level street criminals. Kalashnikov designed many other weapons during his career, including the RPK light machine-gun and the PK GPMG, but it was the AK-47 that made his name famous around the world.

Kalashnikov was born in Russia in 1919 and was conscripted into the Red Army in 1938, where he served as a tank mechanic and then a tank commander. In 1942, after being wounded in the Battle of Bryansk, he was assigned to the design division of the Chief Artillery Directorate of the Red Army, where his career began in earnest. He earned a Doctor of Technical Sciences degree in 1971.

It's estimated that more than 100 million AK-47s have been made, but because many - the majority, according to official manufacturer Kalashnikov Concern - have been produced without proper licensing, it's impossible to say how many actually exist. In 2007, Russian President Vladimir Putin described the rifle as "a symbol of the creative genius of our people."

Kalashnikov had reportedly suffered from heart troubles over the past few years and had been hospitalized in intensive care since mid-November. He was 94.

Source: RT.com [http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I remember watching a documentary about him. It was interesting. He wasn't oblivious to the fact that he created a weapon that was responsible for the deaths of many people. A weapon that even a child could use with ease. He said that he'd prefer to have invented a lawn mower or something like that, but he was not ashamed of his achievement.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Well shit, well done to that man!

These days it might be used mostly by criminals but making the worlds most famous gun gets your name into the history books and very few people get that honor!

I always just assumed that he died way before I was even born. Learn something new ...

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
I think this might need some proofreading, seeing as ho he'd have been older than 91 if he was born in 1919

jaiv28

Dec 30, 2008
StraightToHeck said:
I think this might need some proofreading, seeing as ho he'd have been older than 91 if he was born in 1919
Lol, in Mother Russia you age only when they tell you to age. In 'Merica he'd be 94 if he was born in 1919.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I've always wondered if he was responsible for all the AK-47 offshoots (like the RPK) and the more modern AKs. If so, I'm surprised the guy who made one of the world's first assault rifles contented himself to just updating the same thing over and over again.

Adam Jensen said:
I remember watching a documentary about him. It was interesting. He wasn't oblivious to the fact that he created a weapon that was responsible for the deaths of many people. A weapon that even a child could use with ease. He said that he'd prefer to have invented a lawn mower or something like that, but he was not ashamed of his achievement.
A child could use most small arms with ease. These things aren't made to be needlessly complicated. It's mostly just inserting a magazine, chambering the first round (pull back and release the bolt), turning off the safety, and there you go, fire away. The reason his assault rifle is popular is because it's easy/cheap to manufacture and super reliable. Also, because the USSR shipped a lot of them to different global conflicts. What should he have done, made a shittier rifle?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
We could do a 21 million gun salute using AK-47s for this man, as games have shown his weapons will outlive us all (see RAGE, Fallout 3). o7 RIP sir, now you're arming angels.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
inb4 posts calling him a mass murderer or saying we shouldn't even acknowledge his death etc. (a more civilised community this may be, but it's still the internet after all)

94 is no bad age to go, and inventor of the worlds most famous version of anything is worthy of praise, more so when you think of the doors the AK-47 must have opened in future designs

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
dyre said:
I've always wondered if he was responsible for all the AK-47 offshoots (like the RPK) and the more modern AKs. If so, I'm surprised the guy who made one of the world's first assault rifles contented himself to just updating the same thing over and over again.

Adam Jensen said:
A child could use most small arms with ease. These things aren't made to be needlessly complicated. It's mostly just inserting a magazine, chambering the first round (pull back and release the bolt), turning off the safety, and there you go, fire away. The reason his assault rifle is popular is because it's easy/cheap to manufacture and super reliable. Also, because the USSR shipped a lot of them to different global conflicts. What should he have done, made a shittier rifle?
He was the designer of the RPK (though basically it is an AK47 ) and almost all of the refinements done to the gun over the years like the AKM and the AK74. The gas piston system he developed is still present in the guns he didn't design like the AK12. It is just that good.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Chaosritter said:
he did provide the world with cheap, sturdy and effective assault rifles that usually outlive their users.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Good thing it's reliable, bad thing that it doesn't give its wielder a force multiplier great enough to increase their chances of survival.

Great invention from a practical standpoint. I'll leave the morality behind it to the philosophers.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
The fact that many gun weapons in fantasy games bear striking similarities to the Ak-47 its quite the testimony. Still Op weapon in modern warfare 2 :/

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
It's tragic that such a genius was born into a time when the greatest need for his skills was apparently in making weapons.
He himself said that his dream was to invent an engine that could run forever, he went on to blame the Nazis saying without them he would have made agricultural machines.

Imagine what he could have done had he been allowed to put his mind to something else...

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
RIP Mikhail Kalishnikov.

Far from an immoral man even if his technical and cultural legacy can at best be described as amoral, few others can say they have invented an icon with such an impact on the world.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Oly J said:
inb4 posts calling him a mass murderer or saying we shouldn't even acknowledge his death etc. (a more civilised community this may be, but it's still the internet after all)

94 is no bad age to go, and inventor of the worlds most famous version of anything is worthy of praise, more so when you think of the doors the AK-47 must have opened in future designs
It would be difficult to call him a mass murderer given that he designed the rifle to defeat the Nazis while they were in the process of invading his country. They just didn't adopt the design until after the war. Since then, sure, the gun has been seen in the hands of terrorists. It has also been a cheap alternative for those seeking to defend their nations and homes world wide as well. I would say that even in the worst case, he is karmically even.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
'don't hate the player, hate the game' was kinda invented for situations like this.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Good night sweet prince. Many will remember your legacy. [http://www.unicef.org/emerg/files/iasc_booklet.pdf]

On a less cinical note:

Rest in peace.
The Kalashnikov was at it's time and remains to stay one of the most iconic and most durable weapons. It is a great piece of engineering and part of world history. It's always sad to see a great mind extinguishing.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
All they have to do is wait a year, cycle a round into his chamber and he'll be right as rain.