Princess Zelda Returns in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U And 3DS

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Princess Zelda Returns in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U And 3DS

Princess Zelda, from the Zelda universe, first made her debut in the Gamecube's Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Nintendo is taking its sweet time will be returning in the new game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130655-Rosalina-and-Luma-Bring-a-New-Fighting-Style-to-Super-Smash-Bros].

Long-time fans of the series will know that Zelda, who made her debut in the Gamecube's Super Smash Bros. Melee, can transform into her alter-ego Sheik by using her down-b special. However, none of the screenshots released alongside her announcement show Sheik. Have the two characters been split? Or has Sheik been given the ax entirely?

Check out the screenshots of her in action below:
[gallery=1984]

You'll notice one of the screenshots has her commanding a phantom from the DS's Spirit Tracks game, which, if Sheik truly has been cut, may be her new down-b special move.

So far, Zelda, Link, Toon Link, Marth, Sonic, Olimar, Peach, Luigi, Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Bowser, Pikachu and Pit have been confirmed to be returning from prior games, while Rosalia, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager are confirmed new characters.

Are you glad that Zelda made the cut, or are you worried that her inclusion may have bumped your favorite fighter off the roster? I thought she had a very interesting play-style with the Sheik transformation mechanic in Brawl. It seems odd to cut it, although they may still announce it at a later date.

The game will release sometime in 2014.

Source: Smash Bros. Blog [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/zelda.html]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Another game I will buy, excellent, hopefully the game will be cross platform.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
When is this game going to get released? All I hear from it is them revealing new characters with the same hype as if it was a new game reveal, if every other company did that shit with their content then it would be a clusterfuck (although FPSs do the exact same thing with maps).

And arent people overthinking this game? From what I understand its just a fun game with no much depth to it in comparision to other fighting games yet the roster here seems to matter much more.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Smash bros has a surprisingly large amount of depth actually. It all depends on how the game is played of course, either you just go free for all with 4 players items and whatnot, in wich the game becomes a very fun clusterfuck, or you go 1v1 with maybe the smash ball activated and play it like a regular fighter. It's a pretty legit fighter if you do it that way. When melee ran during the last evo championship they had a ton of viewers.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Interesting how she has the knight armor from Spirit Tracks. If Sheik did get axed, they'd probably just replace her with someone like Impa. It would switch up dynamics quite a bit

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Dang, that is one amazing model.

So, that's pretty much all the female characters from Brawl confirmed returning (except for Nana the Ice Climber).

Fingers crossed for Palutena, Jill Dozer, Lucina...

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
I don't think she's commanding the Darknut. Her pose in #2 is the same as in #8, which tells me that that pose is part of another attack and, though clever camera work, they have put together a potentially misleading shot. Almost all her pictures are cleverly shot to create "scenes" which would not exist in the regular game.

Additionally, spirit control was never that Zelda's thing. What seems more plausible to me, and exciting, is that there will be a "toon" Zelda addition who may have that ability.

But the Darknut is most likely an assist item.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I'm glad she has her Twilight Princess look; As a blonde, she just looks like Link in drag.

I just wish Peach & Zelda has weapons or were super strong. It would be cool to see them bodyslamming opponents to the concrete.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
You know, I am glad Zelda is on there and all....BUT WHERE IS MY YOSHI! Still not on the list and he was on the first game. I am still sure their will be no problem and he will be back by the time it is sold, but still why take so long to throw him on the list.

Sigh....back to waiting.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Will she have alternate skins like Wii Fit Trainer? Will I have my Skyward Sword Zelda? Because I don't really like Twilight Princes Zelda.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Wow, that is some serious Sailor Moon posing in that last screenshot.
The_State said:
I don't think she's commanding the Darknut. Her pose in #2 is the same as in #8, which tells me that that pose is part of another attack and, though clever camera work, they have put together a potentially misleading shot. Almost all her pictures are cleverly shot to create "scenes" which would not exist in the regular game.
That's actually one of the things I like the most about the official Smash Brothers site updates: the fun they have with the screenshots they post. It seems like they're being even more creative this time than they were with Brawl, which is saying a lot.
The_State said:
Additionally, spirit control was never that Zelda's thing. What seems more plausible to me, and exciting, is that there will be a "toon" Zelda addition who may have that ability.
I'm ususally not interested in "clone" characters, but that might actually be pretty awesome.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
If she is as good in this one as she is in Brawl, I'm glad to have her back. Now the real question, will Ganondorf return? Will he still be a clone of Captain Falcon? I hope not, he has so much potential as a fighter, he needs to utilize it!

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Woo!

Now, can they, like, make her not bottom tier for once*? :(

* Sheik specifically being top tier in Melee doesn't count, Zelda was still bad.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Glad they lost Sheik. He/She/It was in one game and fit into the plot as Zelda's disguise. In Brawl, they used Twilight Princess Zelda and a Sheik that never showed up in that game. It always bugged me. Now they should change up more character's moves. Mario could get the tanuki suit. Samus could get a move or 2 from the Prime games. Link could use some of the more unique items like the Beetle or Spinner instead of bombs, arrows and boomerang

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Sheik was always kind of a stretch anyway, being a character from only one Zelda game who only popped up occasionally and never actually did any fighting. It seemed like they only included her to make Zelda more cool, and it makes even less sense now that they're taking the Zelda from TP.

That being said, I'd welcome a Toon Zelda who can transform into Tetra the pirate.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
You have about as much chance of that as Microsoft making Halo multi-platform. None at all. Sadly.

OT: I'm also glad that they stuck with the Twilight Princess design. I really loved the way all the characters looked with that style besides the OoT one but that one's been done too much now I think.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Evil Smurf said:
You have about as much chance of that as Microsoft making Halo multi-platform. None at all. Sadly.

OT: I'm also glad that they stuck with the Twilight Princess design. I really loved the way all the characters looked with that style besides the OoT one but that one's been done too much now I think.
Fun fact, Twilight Princess had the best design of all Zelda games.

Can you imagine cross platform SSB? Going to your friends house and paying against him/her on your DS while he/she is on the WiiU. Well at least making the game multiplayer on the same consoles would be good.

I'm pumped for this game, I'm definitely buying the game for a friend with a DS so I can play against her.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
McMarbles said:
Fingers crossed for Palutena, Jill Dozer, Lucina...
Marth is in, so I don't think Lucina's gonna make the cut. In terms of new characters I'm sill holding out hope for Chrom, and for female characters I'm just hoping they realise what a terrible idea using Other M Samus is and change it to the Zero Mission or Prime version.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Euphbug said:
You know, I am glad Zelda is on there and all....BUT WHERE IS MY YOSHI! Still not on the list and he was on the first game. I am still sure their will be no problem and he will be back by the time it is sold, but still why take so long to throw him on the list.

Sigh....back to waiting.
They'll probably announce him as part of the marketing campaign for Yarn Yoshi or Yoshi's NEW Island. That seems to be the pattern these days.