Guinness Game Collection Record Claimed by NY Man

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Guinness Game Collection Record Claimed by NY Man

Michael Thomasson's massive collection of 10,607 games has broken a world record.

Some people take their videogame hobby more seriously than others. For instance, some buy the latest console and just pick up game or two here and there when they see something they like. Others meanwhile, try to buy every console ever made and all the games along with them. Standing on the peak of that category would be Michael Thomasson who was just recently crowned the king of game collection in the Guinness World Records 2014 Gamer's Edition.

How many games, you might ask, earns you a world record? In Thomasson's case the count is 10,607, alongside a bevy of consoles popular, rare and obscure. "I have games on cartridge, laser disc. I have VHS-based games, cassette-based games," he said. He built his collection over the course of years, on average buying about two games a day while also sticking to a strict $3000 annual budget. He currently estimates the entire collection to be worth somewhere between $700-800,000.

Thomasson, the father of a 5-year old girl, supports his hobby with a job as a game designer and teacher at Canisius College in Buffalo. Despite the tremendous size of his collection however, his various responsibilities keep him from playing games on a regular basis. "I probably get three hours of playing in a week," he said. "If I'm lucky." Thomasson's 10,607 exceeds the previous record, held Richard Lecce, by about 2,000 games. While Lecce says that his own collection has grown since he claimed the record in 2010, he he has no intention of challenging Thomasson.

Source: <a href=http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ny-mans-10607-video-games-secure-guinness-title>Associated Press

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
the sad part is that some of the earliest games he would own would be pretty much unplayable now with the limited life span of digital media
Don't you mean life span of physical storage media? Digital media is much easier to archive and run through emulations.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Wow, nicely done. Assuming, obviously, that he didn't trade his kids college education for this.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
MinionJoe said:
Part of me likes to think that he has neither an XBox One nor a PS4.

"There just aren't any good games out for either of them."
He'd blow his budget pretty quick if he bought a ps4 or box1 right now. I have 400 games on my steam account and that backlog has me completely unconcerned about this gen of consoles. I can only imagine how this guy feels.

Props to him for his great collection.

Edit: Grammatical error