Stolen Pixels #56: It's a Long Way to the Top

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #56: It's a Long Way to the Top

Someone at BioWare has an unnatural affection for elevators, and they should be deeply, deeply ashamed.

Read Full Article

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
They shouldn't be ashamed. They should be forced to make casual games for the rest of their lives. I can see it now: Elevator Mania Deluxe from Popcap.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Personally, the elevator in the Normandy is more infuriating. At least you got humorous dialogues and news reports about Elcor Shakespeare productions on the Citadel. Onboard the Normandy, you wait almost as long to get to the loot depot . . . er, requisition officer. Then you get back on the elevator, only to remember that you forgot to talk to Wrex.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
The worst realization was that you couldn't pass the time looking at your inventory... but that while in the inventory screen it had FROZEN TIME, so that you still had to wait the same amount of time in the elevator as after you left the inventory screen.

It's also funny how, if you walked to the required location the loading time was far less than the time spent in the elevator. I think that Bioware was trying to tell my indolent gamer self something.

I don't know - "don't look into your backpack on the lift" or something.

LaxLuster

Dec 11, 2008
This is the reason I couldn't give the game a second playthrough. I started up a second character, but then the mortifying idea of spending the next 20 hours trying to uncover all of the crap in the citadel made me turn it off and trade it in.

Plactus

Jul 22, 2008
Really, I don't remember the elevator rides being that bad. Maybe it's a difference between the PC and Xbox versions.

The decontamination going from Citadel to Normandy, on the other hand...

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
nimrandir said:
Personally, the elevator in the Normandy is more infuriating. At least you got humorous dialogues and news reports about Elcor Shakespeare productions on the Citadel. Onboard the Normandy, you wait almost as long to get to the loot depot . . . er, requisition officer. Then you get back on the elevator, only to remember that you forgot to talk to Wrex.
I agree...I always look at the tiles on the wall and then estimate shepard's height and figure that its moving just a bit slower than a salted slug. It's not even needed, you could fall the same distance it covers and be unscathed.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I'd say salted slugs are faster than normal slugs, unless it's twenty minutes later or so.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Dectilon said:
I'd say salted slugs are faster than normal slugs, unless it's twenty minutes later or so.
Unless they're salted salt sea slugs, of course, in which case it depends on their mood. (Arrrrrrr my hearty etc.)

Tryss

Nov 5, 2008
Hm.. It seemed more toleratable to me than a loading bar. Maybe because we have to stand and wait IRL for the elevator.

Jul 9, 2008
Honestly, I didn't mind the elevators much. At least you get news stories, the occasional quest, and some perspective into your allies' mentalities. Not to mention some of the great quotes: "Anyone who stands against us is either stupid or on Saren's payroll. Killing the latter is business; killing the former is a favor to the galaxy."

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Isn't it strange then, that you can teleport instantly to several of the locations that have elevators? :)

I doubt the lower part of the ship actually needs loading...

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Well, I thought it was interesting how they had inter-party banter during the elevator rides or news reports which could actually open up new sidequests.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008

Had to be posted. :p

I liked the idea behind it, but it just took too long. Hopefully they'll improve on the concept somewhat instead of ditching it.

sjmck

Jan 17, 2009
Lt. Sera said:
I liked the idea behind it, but it just took too long.
It took me a few seconds to realize you were talking about the elevators, not the SP comic.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Grampy_bone said:
Well, I thought it was interesting how they had inter-party banter during the elevator rides or news reports which could actually open up new sidequests.
It's a good idea in theory, but a: after they're done talking there's still 10 seconds of dead air and b: it doesn't take long before they start repeating themselves.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Dectilon said:
Grampy_bone said:
It's a good idea in theory, but a: after they're done talking there's still 10 seconds of dead air and b: it doesn't take long before they start repeating themselves.
Particularly if you stick with a fixed team.

And since they built achievements around sticking with a fixed group, it's like the game is encouraging you to see it in the least rewarding way.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
three words
Sonic. The. Hedgehog.
seriously, the little town minigames had :1 game sequence, 3 videos and 4 LOADING SCREENS.
for a 2k6 game, that was pretty lame...

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I thought that the elevator was made so you could look up on woman's characters ass?