Nintendo Seeks New IT Architect

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Seeks New IT Architect

A job listing for an IT architect has been posted, following Nintendo's post-Christmas struggle to maintain its online network.

Nintendo hasn't been doing the greatest job maintaining its online Nintendo Network during this year's holiday period, and it looks like the company has recognized the problem and is taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again, putting up a job listing seeking a new IT architect [http://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs/45756/it-architect-availability-nintendo-of-america-inc?utm_content=%23TechJobs,+%23ITJobs&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter].

The job description says a successful applicant will "optimize systems design across technology areas for future flexibility, performance, multi-tier behaviors, capacity, and scalability." In layman's term "fix our servers so they can handle the Christmas influx."

It all started with the Pokemon Bank. Following the release of eShop service for emergency maintenance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130840-Nintendo-Removes-Pokemon-Bank-From-Japan-3DS-eShop].

While things seem to be stabilizing now, with the Wii, Wii U and DSi eShops having "intermittent" availability, the 3DS eShop is still completely offline until 4am ET. You can check out the status of all of Nintendo's online services here [http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/online-service-status.jsp].

We will update this article when full functionality has returned to all of Nintendo's online services.

Source: Game Informer [http://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs/45756/it-architect-availability-nintendo-of-america-inc?utm_content=%23TechJobs,+%23ITJobs&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter]

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
So uhm... how did the Wii U do during christmas anyway? We only heard about PS4 and Xbone all the time. Thought it'd be interesting to know.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
I would have been more surprised if the online service had worked at launch given the track record for such things.

Apr 28, 2008
Vyress said:
So uhm... how did the Wii U do during christmas anyway? We only heard about PS4 and Xbone all the time. Thought it'd be interesting to know.
Yeah, I curious as well. Did Nintendo's network go down because of all the WiiU's sold, or is it just not great, or both?

I'm sure the 3DS did very well, but it's the WiiU I'm interested in.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well SOMEBODY got fired...or will soon be under a new superior. Nice to see they're taking direct action to nip the problem in the bud.

That said, Pokemon Bank prices bug me...I understand slight price differences, maybe a bit lower in the country of origin, but I get the idea the UK is paying the most. £4.50. It's not much over, but I like things fair and proportionate. 'Tis the proper way of things, but I suppose maybe our economy is doing a little worse...

But come on, we're waiting even longer than you easterners to move our Pokeymans. im tlkn srs bzns hr.

Then again, at least we won't be the guinea pigs.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Good to see some action being nintendo, especially in their online sector, which has been a problem child since the days of the wii.

Hope this goes well for nintendo.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Vyress said:
From what I've seen, a lot of places in my area sold out on Wii U's

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Irridium said:
Vyress said:
Yeah, I curious as well. Did Nintendo's network go down because of all the WiiU's sold, or is it just not great, or both?

I'm sure the 3DS did very well, but it's the WiiU I'm interested in.
In Japan it's been the top selling game device this holiday season, haven't seen any solid numbers for North America but they have reported dramatic rises in sales.

With Mario Kart and Smash Bros on the way soon it's likely the momentum will be steady if not mindblowing.

Worse case scenario for the WiiU is likely a future as a platform for some high quality Nintendo exclusives with the occasional third party gem, same as the Gamecube. Which incidentally turned a profit for the company despite being their worst selling console.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
In other words, somebody got the boot big time and they are in need of a newer , better, employee.

Or, looking at it optomistially- they are hiring an extra IT person to help with the old one.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
This is one of the worst job offers I've seen to date.

No mention what your actual GOLAS are, no mention of the technology implemented to date (Linux? Windows? WiiU-Clusters?), no mention of the software that runs (Websites? The whole backend?), cursory mention of the duties involved. This kind job offer only attracts con artists, so good luck with that...

Racattack

Feb 20, 2010
Um...this job offer was posted on Twitter the day before the online issues, and has been on their official job site since the 11th. Just saying. They've needed the position filled long before this. That said, they need the position filled ASAP.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I really hope they get this fixed soon, I just got a 3DS for Christmas and it seems each day I've had some sort of issue due to the servers being overloaded. First I couldn't make a Nintendo ID on Christmas Day due to how busy the servers were and yesterday I got Pokemon Y and tried to update it only to see that the entire E-shop has been turned off in my region.0

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Looks like a little foresight would've done them some good.

I got on the day after Christmas and it was a trial of patience. I eventually gave up and stopped playing Pokemon because I didn't have the patch that would not break my game.

In any event, hopefully the new guy/gal will make the eshop a more stable place.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Vyress said:
That would be pretty interesting to know actually. I heard it did really well in Japan [http://wiiudaily.com/2013/12/wii-u-sales-japan/], but I'd love to know how it did in the US or Europe. At least we know that apparently it did well enough that the influx of new users caused the servers to go down.

heroicbob said:
I would have been more surprised if the online service had worked at launch given the track record for such things.
This isn't really an "launch issue" he Wii U launched over a year ago now. I'm guessing their holiday sales just put more strain on their servers than they were expecting.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I was able to get on the eshop this morning, so I guess that issue has been resolved for now. I'm still wondering about Pokemon Bank's status though.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Hero of Lime said:
I was able to get on the eshop this morning, so I guess that issue has been resolved for now. I'm still wondering about Pokemon Bank's status though.
From what I understand, in it's short time of release in Japan, it has a lot of holes when it came to detecting hacked/illegal Pokemon. So my guess is that they are keeping it a little longer to fix those issues first.

On the other hand though you have those that were able to get their pokes into X and Y beforehand. My friend just gave me a misdreavus from some user who wonder traded him one.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Dragonbums said:
Hero of Lime said:
From what I understand, in it's short time of release in Japan, it has a lot of holes when it came to detecting hacked/illegal Pokemon. So my guess is that they are keeping it a little longer to fix those issues first.

On the other hand though you have those that were able to get their pokes into X and Y beforehand. My friend just gave me a misdreavus from some user who wonder traded him one.
I'm not quite as impatient about the delay since I've been able to get my hands on most of the unavailable starters and trading them on the GTS for some other Pokemon I wanted. Plus, I was able to get a Reshiram, so I can't complain for now. ^.^

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
Vyress said:
That would be pretty interesting to know actually. I heard it did really well in Japan [http://wiiudaily.com/2013/12/wii-u-sales-japan/], but I'd love to know how it did in the US or Europe. At least we know that apparently it did well enough that the influx of new users caused the servers to go down.

heroicbob said:
This isn't really an "launch issue" he Wii U launched over a year ago now. I'm guessing their holiday sales just put more strain on their servers than they were expecting.
Like I've said before: however many servers you THINK you will need, it will never be enough. It does indicate people bought enough Nintendo products. And people were wondering why I wasn't worried about the Wii U or Nintendo in general

Dec 16, 2009
Vyress said:
well I bought one today, does that help? :D
in all seriousness HMV had sold out on a lot of their Wii U games and Bundles.
Game had the Mario Bundle I wanted, but didnt have the Wii Party U that I wanted with it

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Hero of Lime said:
From what I understand, in it's short time of release in Japan, it has a lot of holes when it came to detecting hacked/illegal Pokemon.
I'm still kind of confused about this. Was there ever actually any official indication that it was supposed to do this? The way it was explained to me, people just thought it was because of the misinformation that the blue pentagon thing on Pokemon caught in X/Y was a legitimacy indicator, when actually it just denotes that they're from Kalos. Apologies if I'm mistaken about this. I just can't actually find any official indication that blocking hacked Pokemon (not counting Pokemon that legitimately can't exist at all, like ones with invalid moves or abilities) is even a goal of this software.