Update: Hackers Bring Down LoL, DoTA 2, Blizzard, EA Servers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Hackers Bring Down LoL, DoTA 2, Blizzard, EA Servers

The hacker group "DERP" is attacking the servers of games played by popular Twitch streamer James "Phantoml0rd" Varga.

A group or individual going by the Twitter handle DERP [https://twitter.com/DerpTrolling] has been attacking the servers of several major PC games, including League of Legends, DoTA 2 and Blizzard. The hacker initially took down the LoL EU servers and Blizzard's Battle.net, before setting its sights on popular Twitch streamer James "Phantoml0rd" Varga's favorite games.

It told Phantoml0rd if he lost his current game of DoTA 2, it would bring down the game's servers. Just as Phantoml0rd's team took a turn for the worst, the server he was playing on went down. It then proceeded to harass the streamer, taking down the servers for every game he subsequently tried to play, including Club Penguin. It also took down EA.com [http://www.ea.com] in the interim.

So far, DERP's threats have been consistent, with each website or game server that it has targeted going down shortly after its announcement. Phantoml0rd, who believes he was targeted because he was the top streamer at the time, reached out to the group, asking them why they were doing this. "For the lulz," it replied, adding that it is dismayed with "money hungry companies".

To make things worse, shortly after all this went down, Phantoml0rd received a visit from the police, most likely believing that he had something to do with the hack attacks. "...just had an automatic pointed at me, put in hand cuffs and sat in the back of a cop car as I watched as 6 policemen go through my whole house.. will keep you all updated," he posted on his Facebook wall [https://www.facebook.com/PhantomL0rd/posts/583219238431562].

So far, there is no word from any of the companies that have been attacked, but we have reached out to Riot, Blizzard, Valve and EA for further comment.

Source: Polygon [http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1u1pcz/servers_down_discuss_here/cedmyba]

Update: PhantomL0rd has posted an official reply regarding the DDoS attacks and the raid on his house by police to his Twitch channel. You can watch his reply below:

Update 2: Riot Games has confirmed that League of Legends was affected by the DDoS attacks, although everything seems to be up and running.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
well the obvious response would be to play a game that doesn't need to connect to any server.

Also, I don't think A DDOS attack is really hacking. Anyone with access to a server network can push a button to do a DDOS attack. No hacking skill involved.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Eric the Orange said:
well the obvious response would be to play a game that doesn't need to connect to any server.

Also, I don't think A DDOS attack is really hacking. Anyone with access to a server network can push a button to do a DDOS attack. No hacking skill involved.
That is one of the first lessons of Information Assurance. You are absolutely correct, it's frustrating to see people able to organize DDOS attacks labled as hackers. The act lacks any skill, finesse, or subtlety.

It's a shame that these events are becoming more and more common, there seems to always be an entity seeking to undermine any sort of technological advancement lately.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I quote, from DerpTrolling's twitter:

We had to bail from Starbucks when the police showed up and started asking questions.
Kind of makes them seem less threatening.

Someone I know linked me a bunch of stuff about the hackers really names and the such but really I'm not massively bothered. The hackers are big ol' dicks for doing this and the guy streaming is kind of a dick to keep on considering it made it a hassle for everyone else to play what they want.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The religious side of me hopes there's a special place in Hell for people who think this level of griefing is funny. I really hope any hassle the streamer has to go through is minimal and the authorities find the correct perpetrator in the end. There isn't enough bad karma in the world for that kind of behavior.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Those involved in DDOSing are losers. Being able to DDOS doesn't make you a hacker anymore than owning a gun gives you a super power. Hope this little turd gets thrown in jail for long long time.

Also: "For the lulz," and "money hungry companies" are this guy's excuses for being a loser. He wants attention and to have some form of importance. I'm sure he'll get more attention than he could ever want in a jail.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Tthe guy streaming is kind of a dick to keep on considering it made it a hassle for everyone else to play what they want.
Granted he is sort of a victim here being targeted and all, but if I was getting hassled by a DDoSer I'd just go "HAHA FAK YOU!" and proceed to stream some Dishonored or Xcom instead of letting other people get hit in the crossfire.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hope they're caught, have automatics pointed at them, set in the back of a police car, and unlike the victim, are taken away. Whether to pay a fine, community service, or just jail, I don't care. Just get them. These type of people suck.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Sectan said:
hazabaza1 said:
Tthe guy streaming is kind of a dick to keep on considering it made it a hassle for everyone else to play what they want.
Granted he is sort of a victim here being targeted and all, but if I was getting hassled by a DDoSer I'd just go "HAHA FAK YOU!" and proceed to stream some Dishonored or Xcom instead of letting other people get hit in the crossfire.
Well yeah. I didn't mean to say he's a dick for streaming, just for streaming online games that can be taken down.

Mind you they did take down hotmail so if he went online they'd probably target the entirety of Steam or something.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Those involved in DDOSing are losers. Being able to DDOS doesn't make you a hacker anymore than owning a gun gives you a super power. Hope this little turd gets thrown in jail for long long time.
State of the internet:

MOBA player makes rancid comment on Facebook. Naked, alone, and crying on suicide watch in solitary facing 8 years.

These turds are going to face less than a year if caught.

People that rob content creators operating on fair use (or even if they're using their own content) get to keep the money they steal while Google threatens the robbed with lawsuits.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
hazabaza1 said:
I quote, from DerpTrolling's twitter:

We had to bail from Starbucks when the police showed up and started asking questions.
Kind of makes them seem less threatening.
It's also weird that someone would be in Starbucks when they are also:

dismayed with "money hungry companies".
I guess it's ok to pop in to a money hungry coffee chain when you need a pick-me-up or some free wifi.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Sectan said:
hazabaza1 said:
Well yeah. I didn't mean to say he's a dick for streaming, just for streaming online games that can be taken down.

Mind you they did take down hotmail so if he went online they'd probably target the entirety of Steam or something.
Yeah totally agree with you on that part. Once he saw that he was being targeted by some idiot who was ruining everyone's fun he should have just played something singleplayer. That way you get to piss of DDoSers and still play games.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DDOS attacks. Douchebaggery at its finest usually concealed with a "we hate corporations" excuse. Seriously people, you actually do more harm to folks who enjoy games when you take down game servers.
Its just so stupid and childish. Mostly because it feels more like butthurt players gang up to ruin everyone's day because they lost a match. Its shit like this that makes me just want to be able to instantly transmit an Epic Picard Facepalm (or the double facepalm) image on those folk's PC's for a set amount of time any time they pull shit like this.
Stupid crap. Stupid people...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sounds like people throwing a temper tantrum because they didn't get their way.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
This stopped being even remotely humorous the moment it was discovered that an innocent person (at least in this case) was suspected by the police and consequently arrested for the wrong-doings of an entirely unrelated group of people.

It's one thing to have fun at someone's expense. It's an entirely different story when being an asshole turns out to have real world effects that can possibly ruin another person's life in many aspects.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
What this article doesn't mention is that the "victim" here was in contact with the DDOS-ers egging them on (IIRC the taking down DoTA2 if he loses thing was his idea) and telling people that if they subscribe (which costs money on Twitch IIRC) he would act as a go between to let them ask the assholes from DERP questions. He isn't victim in any way here, his channel has never had so many viewers/subs.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I should be upset about this.

But I'm not.

I fact, I don't really care at all.

be it due to the games that got taken down or just me being that jaded toward stuff like this anymore, yeah, I can't muster enough anything to give a shit what morons like this wanna do.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, hackers are being dumbasses and making themselves a nice big target again. Looks like Bubba's getting company soon.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
major_chaos said:
What this article doesn't mention is that the "victim" here was in contact with the DDOS-ers egging them on (IIRC the taking down DoTA2 if he loses thing was his idea) and telling people that if they subscribe (which costs money on Twitch IIRC) he would act as a go between to let them ask the assholes from DERP questions. He isn't victim in any way here, his channel has never had so many viewers/subs.
If that's the case, I'd like to see some proof.
It would certainly explain why they took the guy away in handcuffs and going through his house instead of just asking questions.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Jokes on you douchebag! I decided to play Black Flag instead of LoL tonight. You have not effected me at all!!!!

In all seriousness, it's probably some shitty kid who wants attention and the whole "we hate companies" thing is just them trying to get even more attention.