8 K-pop Bands You Should Have Heard About

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 K-pop Bands You Should Have Heard About

Korea has so much to offer in the way of spices and electronics, but today let's all focus on their contribution to pop music. You may not understand the words but prepare to bop along to the catchy music.

Read Full Article

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Well, that nicely cemented what I already knew: that I consider K-pop to be a particularly obnoxious offshoot of a genre I dislike.

Moving on.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Woo! I knew about some of these. I haven't actually heard the songs of any of them (minus Girls Generation. after all that youtube music thingy hubub) But I almost bought their merch from a booth at a Convention. I wondered what Big Bang was.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Who HASN'T heard of Girls' Generation, Orange Caramel and BoA at this point?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Aethren said:
*raises hand and looks around* What? WHAT?!?
South Park Movie General: "I don't listen to..." K-Pop.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Musically they are basically there where the West was 20 years ago ^^ (thinking about girl- and boybands here).

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Why SHOULD I have heard of these bands? Is my life going to be much better for hearing of them? Somehow, I don't find myself feeling any culturally richer for having listened to their songs.
Telling me that I SHOULD have heard of these bands sounds rather pretentious.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
This sort of music instills in me an inexplicable desire to tell kids to get off my lawn.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Aethren said:
Me. I mean, I don't listen to a lot of pop music to begin with, so if I don't hear it in coffee shops or elevators (most of the random shopping pop music I hear here is in English, French or Cantonese), where would I have heard it?

Li Mu said:
Why SHOULD I have heard of these bands? Is my life going to be much better for hearing of them? Somehow, I don't find myself feeling any culturally richer for having listened to their songs.
Same here. I'm all for hearing what other folks are listening to, but where is the "should" coming from - what kind of cultural growth am I gaining from this? Where's the bigger cultural context and all that?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Raikas said:
Same here. I'm all for hearing what other folks are listening to, but where is the "should" coming from - what kind of cultural growth am I gaining from this? Where's the bigger cultural context and all that?
Indeed. I would say that my taste in music is probably more eclectic than Mr. Dievendorf, but you don't see me acting in such a pretentious manner talking about Tuvian throat singing bands you SHOULD know about. The fact that he came up with eight rather than the usual ten makes me think that the writer himself probably doesn't even know that many bands.

It stinks of someone who's just gotten into a genre of music, knows a few bands and then tries to show off his/her knowledge in a way that makes them seem erudite. After viewing the comments, it seems that he's missed out most of the general favourites, which has only further demonstrated his ignorance on the subject.