Town to Change Name to "King's Landing" for Game of Thrones Release

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Town to Change Name to "King's Landing" for Game of Thrones Release

For one week, starting on February 17th, the UK town of Kings Langley will change its name to King's Landing.

You don't get much closer to the center of the Game of Thrones universe than King's Landing. Granted, it's only one city marking the map on a large continent in an even wider fantasy world, but you could make some pretty strong arguments that, as far as the story's concerned, everything leads back to King's Landing.

That said, King's Landing will briefly become a real world location next month thanks to the United Kingdom village of Kings Langley. The town, which boasts a history dating back to before the 11th century, will temporarily change its name to King's Landing for one week starting on February 17th. This, of course, is being done to celebrate the DVD release of Game of Thrones season 3, which is set to hit retailers the next day on February 18th.

The move was apparently prompted by an executive producer for the TV series who heard the town's name called out while waiting for a train. Said executive subsequently contacted town officials to organize the name change, which the town hopes will inspire local businesses to host special events and celebrations. We will, of course, be eager to see if any of the local bridal shops decide to hold Red Wedding sales.

Source: <a href=http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/10912723.Village_name_to_be_changed_to_mark_Game_of_Thrones_release/?ref=var_0>Watford Observer

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Aw, come on.

This is just so sad, they are kind of alike so you're going to change the name of the town for a week to coincide with a DVD release.

Thank god I don't live there! Just got the taste of Christmas out of my mouth, don't want something else shoved down there!

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
omega 616 said:
Aw, come on.

This is just so sad, they are kind of alike so you're going to change the name of the town for a week to coincide with a DVD release.

Thank god I don't live there! Just got the taste of Christmas out of my mouth, don't want something else shoved down there!
At least it's only a temprorary "name change" (how exactly does one do that? postal services don't care about the wordy bits of your address, only the postcode and house number... are map makers going to redo all their maps for the period?) and not, say, painting the whole town blue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BAzcar

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
So if you want to send a letter there during that week, it's gonna be a real pain if it changes back to its original name before they get to delivering the letter. Or if you've still got the letter sent to Kings Langley and it's King's Landing while it's being processed.

Better send it by raven instead.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Hmm, well, this is a first.
I certainly hope they don't store caches of Wildfire around the town.
''Burn them all''

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Shouldn't this be happening in a place where a king actually landed. A quick wiki search says William the Conqueror landed in Pevensey and he's who Aegon is based on in the first place.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm... interesting.

Wait... is this the same town that renamed a road after Lara Croft?

Hmm...

also...

how did this get past the Editors:

"will become briefly become"

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I live near Kings Langley and I have cousins who live there, it's a nice place and it's a village and not a town. Nice to see some local news on a website like this. If there is any celebration or event to celebrate the name change I'll take a few photos.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I can see this royally screwing up the postal service there for the week when it comes to ordering things online and people might accidentally puts King's Landing on the return address. XD

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Celebrating the release of a DVD? What a sad fuckin' village.
That's what I was thinking. Yay, let's go ride the popularity of something that has absolutely nothing to do with us. Almost as sad as the people who will actually be attracted by it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Risingblade said:
I don't remember anything good ever happening there.
Yeah, being associated with a city with its most prominent feature being the large number of brothels servicing the locals sure is to bring in the right crowd. ;)

OT: It's a gimmick sure but if they have a real tourney and the whole place gets into it, it could become awesome.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
not surprised but definitely amused by all the bitter resentful reactions to this.

pretty they are just changing it for funzies, and it wont affect any real changes such as in postal service like people seem to think. derp.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, does that make Her Majesty 'The Queen of the North'? Will the next town leader be this blonde little pissant who doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground? Is there good boar hunting in the area?

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
That Red Wedding Sale is going to be cutthroat.

Sorry, someone had to say it :3

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
By the end of that week, the entire population of that town will be dead.

Meanwhile, George R. R. Martin will be laughing maniacally while holding a notebook.