Keanu Reeves Starring In Cowboy Bebop Movie

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Keanu Reeves Starring In Cowboy Bebop Movie

Woah. Fox is producing a live-action adapation of the beloved anime series Spike Spiegel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop].

dude-who-fires-a-gun-in-the-air-whilst-screaming-argh [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/], can add a new title to his repertoire: anime action hero. Fox is bringing the classic series Cowboy Bebop to the silver screen in a live-action adaptation, and Reeves is attached to star as protagonist Spike Spiegel.

And the cries of blasphemy rained down from Mt. Otaku. It's alright, though - fans can take heart that their beloved Bebop won't be completely in the hands of those evil Hollywood franchise destroyers. Also on staff for the film as associte producers are Anime News Network [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinichir%C5%8D_Watanabe]. No word on whether Yoko Kanno, who was responsible for the series' distinctive blues and jazz tinged soundtrack, is on board.

Regardless of whether or not you think Reeves can pull off the part of Spike, a intergalactic bounty hunter who plays it cool but has a closet full of demons, the man does have some fanboy credentials. Speaking to MTV little more than a month ago, Reeves gushed [http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/12/17/keanu-reeves-eager-to-do-something-good-with-cowboy-bebop-movie/] on his love of the series. "It's got a Western quality, a Western film noir aspect to it," Reeves said. "It's got so much style to it, and that's part of its appeal. That kind of Old West, bordertown, low-tech science fiction aspect." It certainly sounds like he gets the essence of the show - he even admitted that it's going to be a challenge to take its disconnected narrative and fit it into a feature-length film. "We're trying to figure out what pieces to put together to tell one story," Reeves said. "There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good."

In any case, it'll probably be better than the Dragonball [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFQOiLD4USg] movie.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Since I'm here early I'll make my goddamn statement.

This movie has a 99% chance of sucking, Anime was NEVER meant to be turned into live action and the fact that they have cast an unpopular actor in the key role (there are FAR worse choices for Spike than Keanu, they could have cast Dane Cook, for example) doesn't mean he will ruin the movie. No, this movie will probably suck for reasons entirely independant of Keanu's casting, and hey, at least he likes the goddamn material, but that didn't save Billy Zane in "The Phantom" and Alec Baldwin in "The Shadow" so it probably won't save Keanu either. Since it's Fox they will likely lowball the budget as much as they can, make it as hip as possible and probably hire that asshat Tim Story to direct it.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
It will be the same shit as the Dragon Ball movie. Hollywood, I realize that a large part of you was inspired by anime, but don't go fucking up a animes good name to make a few bucks.

it's like, Anime is a car owned by originality and the car is Carjacked by Hollywood for a little joy ride.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
This could work - but only if Yoko Kanno is online, and they find something to do with Ed. Speed Racer was pretty much ruined by bad child acting and bad script writing to find something for said actor to do; I can see Cowboy Bebop ending up the same way.

DeleteMe1112311

Sep 18, 2008
(-1 hope for live action films)

Welp, I don't think I need to say anything other than that. It isnt going to be anything that all of you aren't already thinking.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Turn an anime into an live action movie. Yeah really great choice you idiots.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Oh God Keanu Reeves can't act, He sounds the same in every movie no matter what he's acting as.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Keanu may have had more life in him when he was playing in Bill and Ted, but somewhere along the way, a facehugger must've sucked out the wild wigging out and replaced it with uhhh...Neo. Because unfortunately, Keanu Reeves hasn't been much of an actor lately. He was fine in The Matrix, playing a guy who didn't have a clue, but could fight like hell, but let's analyze Spike Spiegel for a moment.

Spike is deep and even broody at times, but you can't tell on the surface because he's known for funny stories, witty comment, and sleight-of-hand trickery. Spike can light-finger something off of you and put it in his mouth or something with an easy-gesture that is none in the least suspicious. He has style and technique. Also, in another thread about this - yes, there was one - I said that Spike fights with Jeet Kune Do, following the ways of Bruce Lee to a fault, even.

Hollywood may try, but I don't think Keanu Reeves can fill the shoes of that intense-but-funny poofy-haired lunkhead space cowboy.

Ironically, anyone here think Chuck Norris has the right build for Jet Black?

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Common guys, Spike is a moody character with a relatively monotone delivery on most lines. Reeves has proven he can pull off that kind of character, and considering his efforts with the matrix I do not think he will short change learning Jeet Kun Do. Based on his comments, I actually think he'll go out of the way to do so since he is a fan.

No, this movie will be made or broken by it's what story it chooses and other casting choices that play off of Spike. I'm thinking Viscious, Fae, and Ed are going to be far more difficult to cast properly.

My biggest fear in this movie is that they will enlarge Fae's role as a love interest (as Hollywood has proven it is not above doing) and not play off of the source material.

lollipopz

Jan 11, 2009
Did anyone see that Death Note movie?

..I have nothing else to say. lol :3
I never understood the appeal to cowboy bebop anyway tbh. movie will be terrible >>

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Jhereg42 said:
Common guys, Spike is a moody character with a relatively monotone delivery on most lines. Reeves has proven he can pull off that kind of character, and considering his efforts with the matrix I do not think he will short change learning Jeet Kun Do.
Yeah, this is what the optimist in me believes.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, I have to agree that casting the others is also gonna be a toughy. Faye Valentine, probably not so hard. Jet Black, also not that tough. Or Ein, or a number of other people. Vicious? Yeah, that's not an easy call. You need an albino who can stare like he's dead inside, talks with very little variation in tone, and wields a katana like a master.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I say we find him and beat him copies of Bill and Ted's most Excellent Adventure until he apologizes for... well, most of the movies he's been in. I personally have some rage about Constantine to get off my mind :)

If they actually make this movie, that will undoubtedly be horrible, I think Ed will be cut altogether. Actually, I hope they cut her because that character is too japanese to surreal (I'd say too japanese, but there's more than that to it) to be actually played by a real person.

I wonder where this impossibly bad idea came from.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Oh God, please don't! Making movies from anime, is like making movies from video games. EPIC FAIL! Guaranteed! There is no adaptation of anime that was EVER good on the silver screen, why force it?

Idiots...