Snoop Lion's "Get Away" Music Video Offers Pokemon Homage

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Snoop Lion's "Get Away" Music Video Offers Pokemon Homage

<youtube=E7oBToWvduM>​
Musician Snoop Dogg's music video for "Get Away" features Pokemon and classic side-scrolling games.

Hip hop, rap, and R&B artist Snoop Dogg - or more recently, Snoop Lion - participates in Pokemon battles and in-the-air shootouts. Done in the style of old videogames, "Get Away" is quite different from Snoop Dogg's earlier material.

A large portion of the "Get Away" music video uses the style from older Pokemon games as a pixelated Snoop Dogg character walks through a town. The buildings, signs, and text boxes look just like they do in Pokemon. To top it off, the bottom of the video reads "red/yellow/green version." After some short exploration, Snoop meets a character named Lazer, the character for song producer Major Lazer. The two have a Pokemon battle.

About halfway through the video, the two take to the sky in a side-scrolling shooter to fight tanks and a floating sound system with eyes. In a somewhat repetitive battle, Snoop and Lazer emerge victorious, and a red, yellow, and green "Stage Clear" flashes.

Previously Snoop Dogg appeared in a he has his own fighting game called Way of the Dogg [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMxY9zQ768s] in which the player character trains under Snoop Dogg.

"Get Away" is a song from Snoop Dogg's latest album, Reincarnated, and departs the hip hop genre for more of a reggae feel. The music video was directed by Ashten "Whoopi" Winger and animated by Mykola Dosenko.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7oBToWvduM]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that Snoop really owns a flying laser hooptie like the video suggests. Just sayin'.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that Snoop really owns a flying laser hooptie like the video suggests. Just sayin'.
No I really don't think anyone would be surprised one bit...

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
That opening shot of the clouds is meant to illustrate how high Snoop is at the moment.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Hate the song, love the video. Snoop Lion (formerly Dogg, formerly Diggety Dogg) has always done unique and occasionally ridiculous things with his influence on pop culture and I love him for it, even though I've never been a fan of his music.