Steam Greenlights 50 New Titles, including Shadowgate

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam Greenlights 50 New Titles, including Shadowgate

Another 50 titles have been added to the digital behemoth known as Steam.

If this is January 7, 2014 (and it is, I checked) then it's time to unveil the latest batch of titles to get the green light on Steam. Remember, these games aren't actually on Steam yet (although I suppose it's possible that some of them may be) but are instead cleared to be added when they become available. And now, to the list!

AIDA64 Extreme
Anarchy Arcade
Astral Terra - Smooth Voxel Sandbox Fantasy RPG
Astrobase Command
Black Fire
Bliss
Breach & Clear
Bullet Bros
Crying Is Not Enough
Dark Horizons: Mechanized Assault Vehicle
Depression Quest
Dollhouse: Room 1313
Earth: Year 2066
Ethan: Meteor Hunter
EVGA Precision X
Farm For Your Life
FPS Creator Reloaded
From the Depths
Hand of Fate, a card game that comes to life.
Helicopter Simulator: Search and Rescue
Highland Wars
Interplanetary
KILL THEM ALL
Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan
Lambda Wars
Last Dream - An Ode to Classics RPGs
Lili
MANOS: The Hands of Fate
Marvin's Mittens
nKPro Racing
One Way Heroics
Paranormal State: Poison Spring
Photo Blend 3D
Procyon
Reallusion CrazyTalk7
Shadowgate
Spark Rising
Spate
Steam Squad
Subject 9
Tangiers
The 7th Guest 3: The Collector
The Memory of Eldurim
The Note
The Repopulation
The Town of Light
Treasure Adventure World
Windforge
X-Plane 10
XAM

It is perhaps not the most inspiring list of games ever, but there is one that I cannot recommend strongly enough: Marvin's Mittens, a very casual, family-friendly platform-adventure that absolutely nails the magic of being a young child in winter. It's an utterly wonderful game and I really can't say enough about it, so I'm very pleased to see it finally make the leap to Steam. Shadowgate and The 7th Guest 3 are also on my "interested in" list, although the recent failure of The 7th Guest Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roblanderos/the-7th-guest-3-the-collector] makes me think that we might be waiting awhile for that one.

So, those are my picks of the litter. What's yours?

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1351376385376426481]

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
is it wrong that the only game that really stood out to me was MANOS: Hands of Fate?

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Still waiting on Steam to greenlight T.e.c. 3001.

Seriously, if you haven't heard of it, go check it out.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Meh, Only a few things jumped out a me. writing down my thoughts as I research the list because its 10 below zero and I have nothing better to do.
Bullet bros could be decent although it bears an eerie resemblance to Intrusion 2.
Kill Them All looks amazingly bad and I have no idea how it got greenlit.
Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan has some promise but would need to improve a lot from what I saw in the trailers to be worth more than $5.
Last Dream looks like it was made over the weekend in RPG maker and is yet another example of Greenlight failing to screen out trash.
I like in The Memory of Eldurîm theory because a cryengine 3 RPG sounds wonderful, but the trailer looked really janky and awful.
Subject 9 is interesting, but I find the camera angle and UI iffy.
Spark Rising is the best thing on the list IMO, and if its concept is well executed it could be absolutely amazing.
I'll keep my eye on Windforge but the animation is sorely lacking in the trailer, as is anything to set it apart from similar games like Starbound and Edge of Space.
Treasure Adventure World despite the stupid name certainly has some charm to it.
Also credit where credit is due, the list only had seven games I would consider art wank/desperately trying to be Amnesia which is less than some of the past batches.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
What is taking so long for Shantae to get green lit?
You there, reading this post! Go vote for Shantae! >:O

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Either you meant to use the word 'released' or you haven't looked at the page in a while because Shantae has been greenlit for a while now.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
jdogtwodolla said:
Snotnarok said:
Either you meant to use the word 'released' or you haven't looked at the page in a while because Shantae has been greenlit for a while now.
Well released then, I didn't see it on the list and I'm not super sure how these things work with steam.
So, whatever it takes to get it out :p

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Depression Quest got greenlit? Its a free web browser text-based game, why does it need to be on Steam? A more worthwhile game could be in that 50 games list although to be honest there are a lot more shittier games that got greenlit.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am happy to see Depression Quest got Greenlit. Some of the other Greenlit games sound interesting too. Will have to check them out.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Snotnarok said:
jdogtwodolla said:
Snotnarok said:
Well released then, I didn't see it on the list and I'm not super sure how these things work with steam.
So, whatever it takes to get it out :p
Nothing anyone outside of Way Forward can do about it now. When they get the PC version done they will release it.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
KILL THEM ALL AND LET THE GOD-EMPEROR SORT THEM OUT!

Now I must express a weary sigh that Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land has still not been Greenlit. "An awesome looking turn based strategy with a Lovecraftian story set in the trenches of World War One? Fuck that, lets have a million Day Z knock-offs instead!"

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Look, I hate to be 'that guy' but...

Depression Quest? Really?!
Look, I know the harassment was bad and all, yadda yadda, but really? A 'game' about the realities of what was it, depression? Good for her for not backing down, but really, I hope Zoe Quinn knows that game won't be selling. Like at all. And, sad as it may be, the user reviews/comment sections are going to be filled with the most hurtful, pro-depression trolls out there. Can't imagine /b/ will be able to leave that alone. Whats the phrase, again? For the lulz?
Its like watching a train-wreck in slow motion. Poor Ms. Quinn. She has my sympathy.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Halyah said:
josemlopes said:
Depression Quest got greenlit? Its a free web browser text-based game, why does it need to be on Steam? A more worthwhile game could be in that 50 games list although to be honest there are a lot more shittier games that got greenlit.
Now why would anyone ever want their game, free or not, on Steam, the biggest digital distributor in the world, I wonder... Could it be this thing we call.... -exposure-? :p

On a less snarky note: I've only tried the game once and that was ages ago so not a good judge of wether it was good or not(plus that's in the eye of the beholder and it seems a lot of people disagrees with you on this for one reason or another), but like I said it's pretty easy to see why any game is on steam. Just being on the greenlight thing equals more exposure than they could've gotten through any normal means available to them. More if they can somehow win the popularity contest that greenlight seems to revolve around.
It would be okay if Greenlight was a system where a game would be automaticly up after X amount of votes but it isnt, from time to time a fixed amount of games get chosen, Depression Quest took the spot of a game that could be actually there for the purpose of selling.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Why the hell does EVGA Precision X need to be on Steam?
I love EVGA and have used their video cards for years, but why?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
wombat_of_war said:
Geth Reich (Yakob) said:
KILL THEM ALL AND LET THE GOD-EMPEROR SORT THEM OUT!

Now I must express a weary sigh that Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land has still not been Greenlit. "An awesome looking turn based strategy with a Lovecraftian story set in the trenches of World War One? Fuck that, lets have a million Day Z knock-offs instead!"
you could pick it up on gamersgate. $4.99 there

glad to see x-plane 10 finally get to steam :)
Gamersgate eh....I'll go take a look, thanks!