King Dedede Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
King Dedede Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

The lovable penguin villain from the Kirby franchises will be returning in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. title.

King Dedede, Kirby's arch nemesis and the main villain from the Kirby franchise, will be returning in Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS. Originally slated to be included, but taken out at the last minute, in both the original Super Smash Bros. and it's sequel, Super Smash Bros. Melee, King Dedede made his Smash Bros. debut in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Check out the king penguin in action below:

[gallery=2004]

It's no co-incidence that Kirby Triple Deluxe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129645-Upcoming-Kirby-3DS-Game-Titled-Kirby-Triple-Deluxe], the latest game in the Kirby universe, was released today in Japan. There is a clear pattern of Nintendo revealing returning characters for the new Smash Bros. game in either the lead-up to, or aftermath of, new games in the respective characters' series being released.

Olimar [http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/characters/zelda.html] was confirmed shortly after Pikmin 3 came out.

It's also probably worth noting that Masahiro Sakurai, game director on Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS, is the creator of the Kirby franchise.

Source: Super Smash Bros. Official Website [http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/characters/dedede.html]

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Hrmmm, does this mean we can possibly predict other characters that might be in the game by release dates? I'm sure some people already have.

Anyway, glad to see the king's returning.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
MrMixelPixel said:
Hrmmm, does this mean we can possibly predict other characters that might be in the game by release dates? I'm sure some people already have.

Anyway, glad to see the king's returning.
Occasionally they throw a spanner in the works though. I was honestly very surprised that a Pokemon character (lucario, jigglypuff, pokemon trainer) was not announced around Pokemon X and Y's release...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Aww yeah, the King is back!

Gotta say, the roster is shaping up quite nicely so far. All we need now is Captain Falcon (gotta have that FALCON PAWNCH!!!) and Ness and I'd be good. They could even leave out Wario this time around. As much as I loved seeing the greedy bastard's inclusion in Brawl, I fully acknowledge that he's probably not iconic enough to make the cut, since that's what they're generally aiming for this time around.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Neverhoodian said:
Aww yeah, the King is back!

Gotta say, the roster is shaping up quite nicely so far. All we need now is Captain Falcon (gotta have that FALCON PAWNCH!!!) and Ness and I'd be good. They could even leave out Wario this time around. As much as I loved seeing the greedy bastard's inclusion in Brawl, I fully acknowledge that he's probably not iconic enough to make the cut, since that's what they're generally aiming for this time around.
He's certainly unique enough to earn a place, though. Who else can launch the other three brawlers off the stage simply by letting off a ripper at the right time?

Must be all that garlic..

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Yay, my main! Here's hoping the gameplay changes make him more palatable to other players. I'm not so keen on Metaknight or even Kirby, but I loves me some rocket-hammer action.

On an off-note, I wouldn't mind giving Olimar another shot. Pikmin poking is one of the best strategies I've ever used. For losing friends.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Awesome to see King Dedede make his return to the SSB games. Hope many others like Gannondorf, Diddy Kong, and Captain Falcon make the cut as well.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
It's nice to see the King back, and a representative from a Kirby game since the current rooster is populated by people from Mario, which I could have sworn Sakurai wanted to balance out the representatives. Now where's my Captain Falcon? Come on Nintendo, I know you seem to not like him much, but he's a legacy character at this point.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
I'm not against Dedede being announced, but I'm a bit concerned he's confirmed as playable before Meta Knight.
I want my spherical bat-lancer thing in!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dendio said:
Just bring them all back, including mewtwo
Sadly the roster for the new Smash Brothers is quite small, especially when compared to that of Brawl, only 27 characters total, which is only 1 more than the roster that Melee had (26). Brawl on the other hand had 37 characters total.

As for wanting Mewtwo back, here's something that might interest you:

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I wonder what the fate of Meta Knight will be. Will he return much more balanced? Or will he not return at all?

Never was good at Dedede, but the more the merrier I say!

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Cool, I liked Dedede in Brawl. BUT. BUT. There is ONE character I want.
One character I NEED, one I DEMAND.
He is my main. When I control him, I become an embodiment of the end of days.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Neronium said:
Dendio said:
Just bring them all back, including mewtwo
Sadly the roster for the new Smash Brothers is quite small, especially when compared to that of Brawl, only 27 characters total, which is only 1 more than the roster that Melee had (26). Brawl on the other hand had 37 characters total.
Where exactly did you hear this? Because I've heard nothing like that.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
McMarbles said:
Go on the Smash Bros website. Click on one of the characters and you'll see that there are 27 slots for characters, 21 of which are already filled. Unless they are gonna release characters over time as DLC or something the current roster maxes out at 27 characters.

Plus Sakurai is focusing on balancing the characters, and the larger the roster, the more difficult it is to balance.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Neronium said:
McMarbles said:
Go on the Smash Bros website. Click on one of the characters and you'll see that there are 27 slots for characters, 21 of which are already filled. Unless they are gonna release characters over time as DLC or something the current roster maxes out at 27 characters.

Plus Sakurai is focusing on balancing the characters, and the larger the roster, the more difficult it is to balance.
That I believe to be incorrect. When the official site was first put up there was only two pages/rows for the character slots but as more characters have been added, the amount of slots and rows has also increased. The amount of remaining slots left on the official site do not determine the amount of roster spaces left for characters in the new Super Smash Bros.