PS4 Beats Xbox One as UK's Best-Selling Console in 2013

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
PS4 Beats Xbox One as UK's Best-Selling Console in 2013

Sony's PlayStation 4 has sold over 530,000 units in just five days to cement itself as the UK's fastest-selling console of all time.

According to the Entertainment Retailer's Association (based on GfK Chart-Track's numbers), it states that Sony's PlayStation 4 managed to beat the Xbox One to become the best-selling console in the UK last year. The data reveals that Sony's new home console has sold over 530,000 units in just five days, and has generated £181.4 million in revenue, which makes the PS4 the fastest-selling home console in UK history.

"We are delighted with the very strong sales of PS4 to date," states Sony UK boss, Fergal Gara, and adds, "Our focus now is rebuilding stock levels so those have not been able to get a PS4 can finally experience the next-gen. I'd like to thank the gamers, our retail and publishing partners who played a big part in making this success possible."

While the PS4 made the history books in the UK as the best-selling home console, it wasn't the best-selling games device in the country last year. This distinction belongs to Nintendo's 3DS, with sales buoyed by the launch of the 2DS and big software releases such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

For those in the UK, has Sony made good on its word of restocking retailers with new units or is it still hard to get without bundles?

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-was-the-best-selling-uk-console-in-2013/0126603]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Alex Co said:
For those in the UK, has Sony made good on its word of restocking retailers with new units or is it still hard to get without bundles?
I keep seeing advertisements in magazines and newspapers saying "Back in stock on [insert date here]" for retailers, so I guess they must be putting a lot of effort into it. I haven't really seen companies do that before, especially as it costs money to do so.

I am curious to see how this compares to the Xbox One sales. I have been seeing a lot more television adverts for the Xbox over here.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Our focus now is rebuilding stock levels so those have not been able to get a PS4 can finally experience the next-gen."
Another sweet MASSIVE XBONE burn, lol.

Not that PS4 is a good console either, since it refuses to do DLNA... :'(

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
"Our focus now is rebuilding stock levels so those have not been able to get a PS4 can finally experience the next-gen."
Another sweet MASSIVE XBONE burn, lol.

Not that PS4 is a good console either, since it refuses to do DLNA... :'(
If it's any consolation Sony said that they might patch it in after the PS4 is available worldwide. Personally I'm just waiting for the HD Capture Card support because I like having the ability to put the footage I record through an actual editor and not a cheap imitation of one. I already used Pinnacle Studios 15 and I won't be going back to low quality like that editor ever again! >.<
*hugs Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12*

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I'm actually surprised about this. Most people here wave the Xbox flag regardless of what it is they're actually supporting. I barely know anyone over here that has/had a PS3.
This is good news either way. Even if they fixed the problem, I ain't forgetting what Microsoft tried to do anytime soon.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This figure is meaningless as its the early adopters. I read that the PS4 sells 4.2 Million in 53 Markets. Xbox One sells 3 Million in 13 Markets. But then who know what figures are real or whatever. Guess will have to wait till next year, once the consoles start showing of their great games. An thats what it comes down to. At this moment im buying neither console as both their line ups are just not that interesting. Cant wait for E3 this year. :)

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
"Although to be fair, with the amount of fucked up shit Microsoft has done, their sales numbers are possible more amazing than Sony's".