State of Decay Developer Signs Multi-Year Agreement with Microsoft

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
State of Decay Developer Signs Multi-Year Agreement with Microsoft

Following the success of their game on Xbox Live Arcade, Undead Labs has extended its "development relationship" with Microsoft for future titles.

Microsoft is clearly very happy with zombie survival game State of Decay. Earlier this year, it became <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125120-State-Of-Decay-Breaks-Half-Million-Xbox-Live-Sales-Mark>the fastest selling original Xbox Live Arcade title, selling a half-million copies in a little over a week. That success has led to a new deal with developer Undead Labs, which announced on its website that they have entered into a multi-year, multi-game publishing agreement with Microsoft.

The studio isn't ready to reveal all the details just yet, but thanked Microsoft Studios, their head, Phil Spencer, and their fans for their ongoing support. Earlier this year, Spencer already voiced his support to bring the Xbox 360 game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125266-Microsofts-Spencer-Tweets-Support-For-State-of-Decay-On-Xbox-One>over to the Xbox One. "Those that have followed this studio know that they have bigger plans for the franchise," Spencer tweeted at the time. "I'm in."

Source: Undead Labs

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Weirdly enough Microsoft was a bigger publisher with the "indies" (if they have a publisher they arent indies but you know, small studios) in 2013 then with AAA games (about 10 indie games vs 1 AAA game)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I guess that means we won't see any sequels on the PC. All well, good for you Undead Labs.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Eh no big loss I'm already mired in a sea of zombie games. Still I don't see how in the long run this could be a good thing for the game dev in the long run.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well let's be honest MS didn't lure them in with cotton candy, this deal means millions for the head of the company if it stays his or not... yes their IP will be milked out to a most heinous degree but at least a couple of the employees are financially covered for a good chunk of their life with this.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Baresark said:
I guess that means we won't see any sequels on the PC. All well, good for you Undead Labs.
The first State of Decay was also published by Microsoft, like Mr.K. said this basicly just means that they stay with Microsoft for a few more years instead of being put back into the wild (now if thats good or not it depends but if Microsoft gives them the same freedom they gave with State of Decay I dont see much of a problem).

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
josemlopes said:
Baresark said:
The first State of Decay was also published by Microsoft, like Mr.K. said this basicly just means that they stay with Microsoft for a few more years instead of being put back into the wild (now if thats good or not it depends but if Microsoft gives them the same freedom they gave with State of Decay I dont see much of a problem).
With MS involved, part of me can't help but wonder if that wasn't a one off. We'll see though. State of Decay was awesome and I would like to get a followup.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Apart from Win8 shenanigans, Microsoft is a fairly ok:ish entity to work with right now, it seems. They don't particulary stand out as a villian anymore, although with EA around that's probably not very hard.

Regardless, I'm curious to see where they take State of Decay next. I found it a very enjoyable game, and want to play the next part in the story. Hopefully with some new mechanics and a bit more fleshed out environment.
Also, it needs to come out for the PC at some point, since I'll likely never buy an Xbox of any kind. Ever.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
lancar said:
Apart from Win8 shenanigans, Microsoft is a fairly ok:ish entity to work with right now, it seems. They don't particulary stand out as a villian anymore, although with EA around that's probably not very hard.

Regardless, I'm curious to see where they take State of Decay next. I found it a very enjoyable game, and want to play the next part in the story. Hopefully with some new mechanics and a bit more fleshed out environment.
Also, it needs to come out for the PC at some point, since I'll likely never buy an Xbox of any kind. Ever.
It is out for the PC. Check Steam, I have a copy of the PC version and I loved the game. I'll definitely be going back for more playthroughs over the next few years. Can't wait for the next games.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Hopefully their next game will feel finished and not run like shit. State of Decay had a lot of potential. But the frame rate and graphical errors were bullshit (Even on PC), and half the survival and morale features felt incredibly underdeveloped.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
AldUK said:
lancar said:

It is out for the PC. Check Steam, I have a copy of the PC version and I loved the game. I'll definitely be going back for more playthroughs over the next few years. Can't wait for the next games.
Oh, I meant the sequel. My point being that since they've now signed a partnership deal with Microsoft, there might be Xbox exclusivity crap happening.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
llagrok said:
Is this good or bad? I honestly can't tell...
On one side its good, because MS no longer charges indie devs the ridiculous amount of money per patch. One the other hand its bad because this surely means that XBLA will have timed exclusives of all of their future games which will kneecap their sales significantly.

This is worrying for those on the PC who would have liked a sequel to State of Decay. Sony console won't ever get the games Undead Labs makes so there's no point in having that idea around.

To be honest this may be best for Undead Labs provided MS doesn't do what they did to Dead Rising 3 and force tablet functions into the game. Undead Labs' forums responses showed that they pretty much consider the PC platform second tier.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I snagged this over the Steam Winter Sale. Not sure when I'll get a chance to play it though. Kudos to the studio for its success.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Say "Hi" to the Oddworld bunch for us. Ask 'em about their wonderful decisions.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
If the turn state of decay into a yearly release people will hate it over time. The breakdown DLC they released was basically the pilot for the MMO they stated earlier they wanted to do and so far I'm not happy with the one map restock mechanic and the customize your own survivor turned into pick your own survivor maybe with more money they'll change some of the budget saving methods they've already shown us for the MMO or a new future SP title but MS wants profits so maybe they also won't let up on the reigns either.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
These guys had potential. It's a shame that Microsoft got to them first. Continue making games for PCs, which everybody already has? Or be forced to milk your franchise to the point that nobody is interested, on a console that hardly anybody wants?

I hope that they're happy with the amount that MS paid them, because I'm positive that they've just shot themselves in the foot.