The Last of Us Left Behind DLC Will Be "More Playful"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Last of Us Left Behind DLC Will Be "More Playful"

According to actor Ashley Johnson, Left Behind will give players a chance to "meet the real" Ellie prior to the horrors of the main game.

Back in November, Naughty Dog offered gamers their <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129663-The-Last-of-Us-Single-Player-DLC-Named-Priced-and-Unveiled>first real look at the Left Behind DLC for the studio's acclaimed game The Last of Us. Following a slightly younger Ellie, it was revealed that the new content would focus in on her and her best friend Riley, whom players heard about briefly in the game's main story.

Commenting on the DLC recently, actor Ashley Johnson shared more details about Left Behind and what players will stand to learn about Ellie and the circumstances that made her who she is. "You kind of get to meet the real her," said Johnson. "You'll definitely see a more playful side to Ellie and get to know her a bit better. You're going to see a lot of different sides to the character that you definitely didn't see in The Last of Us."

In turn, players can expect Left Behind to have a tone somewhat contrasting the grim narrative of the main game. "It's definitely different," she said. "It's a little bit more 'fun,' because you have two teenage girls going through a mall. It's kind of like a post-pandemic version of two teenage girls hanging out." That said, players can still expect the game to fall in-line with their prior experiences with The Last of Us, especially in terms of gameplay. "You'll engage in combat that seems familiar from the original campaign, but there are some new touches and nuances, too."

All of this should hopefully add up to a DLC experience that will do well at complimenting the main game while also giving players new insight into the world that Joel and Ellie fought through in its the story. Naughty Dog, of course, still hasn't revealed a release date for Left Behind but with its launch pegged for early 2014, we shouldn't have much longer to wait.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cool, I guess.

Although I don't really see how "playful" it can be considering that we already know how that little excursion of theirs worked out.

Also, I don't see how they're going to avoid the combat feeling a bit forced. I mean, are we going to be playing as Ellie striking down infected (and possibly humans) left and right before she'd been through the events of the main game? That would seem out of place to say the least.

Not pissed off or anything, just saying.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Zhukov said:
Cool, I guess.

Although I don't really see how "playful" it can be considering that we already know how that little excursion of theirs worked out.

Also, I don't see how they're going to avoid the combat feeling a bit forced. I mean, are we going to be playing as Ellie striking down infected (and possibly humans) left and right before she'd been through the events of the main game? That would seem out of place to say the least.
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Ellie being a bit more relaxed. I can imagine it making the inevitable awfulness all the more terrible.

Combat is also something I'm curious about. We already know that her experiences with firearms and out-and-out killing was limited when The Last of Us began, so it will be interesting to see where they take it without being contradictory.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
You'll engage in combat that seems familiar from the original campaign
This seems odd since Ellie wasn't all that useful in fights near the beginning of the game, maybe this is a sign that you don't play as Ellie herself?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
StewShearer said:
Combat is also something I'm curious about. We already know that her experiences with firearms and out-and-out killing was limited when The Last of Us began, so it will be interesting to see where they take it without being contradictory.
CriticalMiss said:
You'll engage in combat that seems familiar from the original campaign
This seems odd since Ellie wasn't all that useful in fights near the beginning of the game, maybe this is a sign that you don't play as Ellie herself?
Perhaps this Riley lass turns out to be a proficient murder-o-matic?

Regardless, there's no way the potential conflict didn't come up among the people making it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am starting to regret my habit of selling on games once I have completed them now. Perhaps if I can find a really cheap copy somewhere...

That said, I'd like to know how long it is before considering it, as well as how much it will cost. A lot of DLC's in the last couple of years have really not been worth the price tag in regards to the amount of content they provide.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
This is what I first assumed when I read "more playful". More playful gameplay and less combat focused. But it's probably too much to expect an overhaul of the main gameplay mechanics so that it suits a pre-wasteland Ellie. One of the great little touches of contolling Ellie in the main game, was that at that point it was only logical that she picked up some of Joel's skills. Having Ellie be as competent in this DLC as she was in the main game would be pretty detrimental.

If Naughty Dog values consistency they'll make this DLC nearly all the quiet moments, wandering around, and very, very little enemy encounters. Obviously there have to be some enemies since... well, you know. But they'd better avoid any real mortal combat. They'll likely give you the bow though, and if they're smart only the bow.

Still bummed out they didn't go for 'Ish' DLC.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm betting you will be sneaking around human guards and giggling while you do it. "Oh man, isn't this exciting?" and whatnot. Ellie never killed a human until she shot that guy in the head, and before that death bothered her. You can tell because of how she reacts when Tess and Joel kill those two guards right in front of her. I think what they mean by "more playful" is that it will be two teenage girls simply being friends. We saw a small glimpse of this when Ellie and Sam were talking in the neighborhood, so I expect more of that.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.