RoboEarth Demoing Intelligent Cloud Connected Robots

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
RoboEarth Demoing Intelligent Cloud Connected Robots

RoboEarth hopes to create a cloud-based database that will help robots become more intelligent and adaptable by sharing learned knowledge and experiences.

If there is one thing that science fiction has taught is, it's that we can't allow robots to get too smart. The Terminator, Battlestar Galactica, Mass Effect; these franchises and more have all driven home in one way or another that while intelligent, adaptable robots come with a lot of benefits, they can also be sources of apocalypse bringing, galaxy destroying, pointlessly sexy evil.

Not that scientists would ever listen. No, rather than trying to subdue our future mechanical gods as they should be, researchers are currently developing a cloud-based "world wide web for robots" that would serve as a "database repository where robots can share information and learn from each other." Directed by the research group RoboEarth, a demonstration is in the works for this week that will have four connected robots working "collaboratively" to help patients in a hospital and adapt to their needs.

The tests are, according to RoboEarth project leader Rene van de Molengraft, the first steps in improving problems in the way that current robots work. "The problem right now is that robots are often developed specifically for one task," he said "Everyday changes that happen all the time in our environment make all the programmed actions unusable." The cloud network being designed by RoboEarth would allow robots to upload knowledge and experiences to a collective database that other robots could draw upon to then adapt to and work more efficiently in their own environments. The use of a cloud network would also mean that a robot's "think tasks can be offloaded," reducing the need for a powerful onboard computer. While some have voiced concerns about the potential consequences of increasingly intelligent machines, we can only imagine those calls for caution are being ignored by foolhardy researchers gone mad with power.

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25727110>BBC

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
Well, here we go. Look at the company name carefully and you'll see that RoboEarth is an anagram of SKYNET! It's all so clear now, isn't it?

Seriously, though, how can anyone think this is a good idea? What if someone decides to upload a suggestion to the cloud that the robots will be 100% more efficient if all the patients in the hospital are dead, or what if the robots decide that on their own? One nursebot going haywire is bad enough. All the others being "infected" through the cloud could be disastrous. Also, TERMINATOR!

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
truckspond said:
DragonStorm247 said:
The cloud aspect makes it sound a lot more like the Geth than Skynet.
"My name is Legion for we are many"

This can only end poorly
Hey, at least look at it this way. Worst case scenario, we'll only be exiled in space for ~300 years.

...Wait. We don't have space colonies. We don't have FTL travel.

Well, I guess we're screwed.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
They'd better test it first with a local cloud on a isolated network and not one connected to the internet. Also make sure to ability to cut the power is within easy reach or else we are gonna hear,"I am sorry Dave, I can't let you do that" right before they start cranking out 1000s of Arnies.

Dyan

Nov 27, 2009
Pretty cool stuff. I doubt there would be a "robot uprising" as long as were not dicks to robots in the future.

Honestly though, all the jokes on robot uprisings when an article like this pops up are getting tiring.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Dyan said:
Pretty cool stuff. I doubt there would be a "robot uprising" as long as were not dicks to robots in the future.

Honestly though, all the jokes on robot uprisings when an article like this pops up are getting tiring.
The problem that I have with this is that, even if they don't, as Jaximus said, decide somehow that killing a patient is desirable (bugs in the AI software could be one cause), their use in hospitals is just going to replace jobs that humans can do. While I'm well-aware of the issues Japan is having with an elderly population with fewer available caregivers, I think a lot of patients are going to find the idea of a robotic "caregiver" more stressful than a human face greeting them after surgery. If I'm wrong, then hey, that's fine, but I'm largely against replacing humans with robots just because we can. Efficiency isn't everything.

nayrbarr

Aug 11, 2010
While people are being critical, Mass Effect actually teaches us to accept all forms of intelligence. It wasn't the Geths' fault that the Quarians started a war of extermination which they couldn't win. The Geth only acted in self defence :p

Back on the topic of the article though, this sounds like a pretty neat idea. It'll probably save a lot of time if it ends up working how they want it to.

"Does this unit have a soul?" <Best plot in Mass Effect

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
This sounds exactly like the Geth, although hopefully it will end better than us being kicked off the planet. It sounds like RoboEarth is on a closed network, so I don't think there's much danger of the robots gaining philosophical awareness as long as nobody uploads Plato into the system.