Gabe Newell Gets Ignored on Reddit, Posts "Selfie" to Prove Identity

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Gabe Newell Gets Ignored on Reddit, Posts "Selfie" to Prove Identity

Valve boss Gabe Newell has posted a photo of himself on Reddit to prove his identity after the threads he created received little response.

In news I'd never thought I'd ever write, Valve boss Gabe Newell another thread titled, "Gabe Newell has a question," [https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1526365_10153748828130093_531967148_n.jpg] that also didn't go over that well.

In his Newell has promised to do an AMA (Ask me Anything) session [http://www.reddit.com/r/motorsports/comments/1v85hy/the_heart_of_racing_new_team_competing_in_uscc/?limit=500] on Reddit once the hospital donations tied to the racing event reaches $500,000, which I gather is an inevitability since even now, people are bombarding Newell with questions about Valve, his career and of course, Half-Life 3.

Valve and Gabe Newell has publicly been very active recently with the Steam Machines's new controller claiming Valve's goal for Steam Greenlight is to make it "go away." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131370-Steam-Controller-Trades-Touchscreen-for-Buttons]

Source: GameSpot [http://www.reddit.com/r/motorsports/comments/1v85hy/the_heart_of_racing_new_team_competing_in_uscc/?limit=500]

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I never understood how anyone could willingly put those Starbucks Frappuccinos in their mouth.

It's like scrubbing your tongue with $7 worth of sugar-lined sandpaper that tastes vaguely of Tastless Choice. Per bottle.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Either Gabe is smaller in real life or he has a huge computer monitor.
I was amazed by the size of the monitor. Then I remembered that this is Gabe Newell. For him to have anything less than a 50" monitor would be madness.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
at first I was going to roll my eyes, but I have to admit I'm impressed. He's certainly using his super powers for good. I know plenty of friends who would gladly donate toward a definitive answer on Half Life 3

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Scrythe said:
I never understood how anyone could willingly put those Starbucks Frappuccinos in their mouth.

It's like scrubbing your tongue with $7 worth of sugar-lined sandpaper that tastes vaguely of Tastless Choice. Per bottle.
The trick is to put only the contents of the bottle in your mouth. It's still overpriced, but I just chalk that up to the price of milk these days. It would be cheaper with more coffee in it...

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Its been a decade now since Half-Life 2. I can see him avoiding all questions about it, would be nice but its got to the point now alot of fans dont care either way.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well what did you expect when claiming to be someone famous online? He should've had that pic ready when he started the first thread and some disclaimers saying don't ask me about Half-Life 3 or why Steam is acting up today, etc. Also, I see he is using Linux. I don't know if he dual-boots, but that good way to show you don't like Win 8 by not posting a pic of yourself using any Microsoft product even if you have to in order to test games for it. You know how it would go if he was even seen in a coffee shop next to a guy using Window Vista.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
They keep giving away free stuff during the xmas sales.
And now that picture.

I think Gaben is trying to turn into Santa.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
MCerberus said:
I think Gaben is trying to turn into Santa.
One that actively collects assorted knives and swords.

I don't know about anyone else, but that's a Santa I'd love to see become a reality.

And now, in my head, I have images of GabeN in full Santa garb toting two swords on his back and carrying a mini-gun a la The Heavy; a sack full of Steam gift cards and --% off signs by his side.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I guess that's simply what he had to do. I can't think of any other way he could easily have proven it. I like seeing popular people use their fame for charities.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Scrythe said:

Look, I was in a hurry to get to work, wadyawantfromme?

More on topic (sort of) I think Gaben's slowly making the transition to godhood with that beard and hair combo, though god of what, I don't know. Online distribution? Delays?

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
SnakeTrousers said:
Scrythe said:

Look, I was in a hurry to get to work, wadyawantfromme?

More on topic (sort of) I think Gaben's slowly making the transition to godhood with that beard and hair combo, though god of what, I don't know. Online distribution? Delays?
I think the answer is quite simple: God of the Internet.

But seriously, good on Gabe for trying to use his powers for good, when so many use them for personal gain and greed. In Gaben's name we pray, Amen.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Oh man, I don't think GabeN likes being ignored.

That said, I definitely wouldn't mind putting a few questions onto him. I may consider donating, seeing as it's to a good cause and all (AFAIK).

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Like someone else stated here, he should have seen this coming. It doesn't take that much work to fake an account after all.