Xbox One Top-Selling US Console in December, According to NPD

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Xbox One Top-Selling US Console in December, According to NPD

Microsoft leads NPD's December figures and manages to take 46% of total hardware sales in the US for the month.

Earlier in the month, Microsoft announced that it has sold more than three million Xbox Ones [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131057-Xbox-One-Sells-3-Million-Units-In-2013] by the end of 2013. Now, we have a more detailed look into just how much stock the company moved in December. According to the NPD Group's figures for last month, the Xbox One was the best-selling console in the US moving 908,000 units. Additionally, its current-gen brother, the Xbox 360, also did well shifting 643,000 consoles. Together, sales of the Xbox One and Xbox 360 accounted for 46% of the hardware market share in the US, which is a 10% growth compared to the same time last year.

Here are the rest of the NPD December 2013 Xbox highlights.

Total combined retail spend on the Xbox platform (Xbox One and Xbox 360) in December reached $1.39 billion, 50 percent of the combined software, hardware and accessories spend in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: "Battlefield 4," "Forza Motorsport 5," "Dead Rising 3," "Ryse: Son of Rome," "Madden NFL 25" and "Call of Duty: Ghosts" (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Based on Microsoft's internal software figures, consumers purchased an average of 2.9 games per Xbox One since launch. Yusuf Medhi, corporate vice president of marketing, strategy and business for Xbox thanks fans and states, "We're grateful for the excitement and support of our fans - many purchasing their next Xbox console and many joining the Xbox family for the first time," and adds, "Our journey is just starting, with more innovation, games and entertainment coming in 2014 and far beyond."

For comparison's sake, Sony has revealed that it has sold 4.2 million PlayStation 4 units [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131087-PS4-Sells-4-2-Million-Units-in-2013] in 2013. Hopefully, Sony shares its latest NPD numbers soon, so we can accurately compare the two.

Does this mean the Xbox One is winning in the US, or is it just a case of Microsoft having stock readily available compared to the PS4?

Source: Xbox [http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/xbox-one-december-npd]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
And the gloating may begin. Anyone who said the Xbox One would be a colossal failure seems to be wrong.

I've still got no personal interest in either of the consoles, but being right is always fun.

This might have to do with the fact that Xbox One simply had more consoles available seeing they didn't release their consoles in as many countries as the PS4, but I also think this may be connected with the fact that America has shown to prefer Microsoft over Sony in the last generation. At the end of last console generation when the numbers started to even out the Xbox 360 was the best selling console in America, but in hardware sales in total it ranks as the third, being narrowly beaten by the PS3 because of its sales in all the other regions. Either way I am not surprised if it turns out that Xbox One is selling more than the PS4 in USA.

Even if this turns out to be that Microsoft wins because they were able to supply enough to meet demand and Sony wasn't this is still well done on Microsoft's side.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
The Xbox One is winning in the US because it has more stock available in the US. I think Microsoft have been fairly smart in restricting their release to 13(?) countries so that the supply in those countries is able to cope with the demand. Similarly, PS4s being sold out almost everywhere is not good from Sony, because it leaves people wanting a next(current?)-gen console with the choice of Xbox One or wait for the next wave of PS4s to come out and hope you get one.

Dec 16, 2009
will be interesting to see how all 3 compare over the holidays and overall.

I've a friend who is intent on buying an Xbone when the price drops.
I asked; what if in that time, the Xbone is a total failure, would they consider PS4.
The answer was an outright "no" as the game score they had accrued would feel stolen from them if they went to PS.
I think that sort of loyality has played a part in these sales.

Another friend of mine bought a PS3 a few weeks ago, because the price has just dropped to what they were willing to pay haha

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Yopaz said:
Even if this turns out to be that Microsoft wins because they were able to supply enough to meet demand and Sony wasn't this is still well done on Microsoft's side.
As you say even if these figures are not the result of the Xbox One being a more desirable console its a great strategic victory on Microsoft's part, all those Xbones in stock might not be down to people not buying them it might be down to Microsoft ensuring a decent supply of hardware where Sony cannot.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Both are successful, and should be successful, but PS4 still sold out in every single store in my surrounding area... but every store is stocked full of Xbox Ones. I don't think Sony was able to meet demand. The true results will be in the coming months.

bigmitch256

Sep 26, 2013
Step 1: Wait years for new console of your choice.
Step 2: Save for months to afford it.
Step 3: Go to get it at the midnight release.
Step 4: Decide to get a different one because the one you want is out of stock.

Wait........I can't speak for everyone but thats definitely not how anyone I know operates.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
bigmitch256 said:

Wait........I can't speak for everyone but thats definitely not how anyone I know operates.
Its more based on people looking for gifts over Christmas, if they are not gamers they would not have paid attention to the wind up before launch and just go into a store mid November onwards looking for a console as they heard new ones are out. Store has no PS4s but has Xboxes, at that point its either let whoever you are getting the gift for down or grab the Xbox.

Seems plenty of people grabbed the Xbox.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
leaked NPD numbers

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=176178&page=32

XBO: 908k
PS4: 864k
360: 643k
Wii U: 481k
PS3: 299k
Huh. Based on everything else I've seen on The Escapist and other gaming sites, I would have thought Sony was eating Microsoft's lunch. Guess it's not that clear cut.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I think part of the reason for the sales for Xbox1 is it attracts a wide audience. You have a ton of fitness options, there is the ability to stream your TV through it. Zoo tycoon is a good game for younger children (nice to see a title that doesn't involve mass killing for kids) Love it or hate it, I think Microsoft did a better job at releasing a console that can be targeted to the whole family. If you are a smart kid 10-15ish you could probably easily make the argument to your parents at the value of this system in the living room. I'm a PC guy myself but my wife does like the dancing games from the 360 on the kinect. So if I had to choice I would go xbox1, just on that basis... Also cause of titanfall.

Apr 28, 2008
Makes sense. Microsoft just has more stock available to sell. I could go out right now and get an Xbox One, either online or at a store, but the PS4 is sold out damn-near everywhere.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Based on what I've seen at my store, I think it's a matter of stock. I'm starting to see more and more Xbox Ones sitting on the self, sometimes for almost an entire half day, before they're gone. Meanwhile, I see a new PS4 maybe once every week and a half, usually one at a time, and it's gone in about half an hour. So I think that there are just more Xbox Ones ready to go.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Yopaz said:
And the gloating may begin. Anyone who said the Xbox One would be a colossal failure seems to be wrong.

I've still got no personal interest in either of the consoles, but being right is always fun.

This might have to do with the fact that Xbox One simply had more consoles available seeing they didn't release their consoles in as many countries as the PS4, but I also think this may be connected with the fact that America has shown to prefer Microsoft over Sony in the last generation. At the end of last console generation when the numbers started to even out the Xbox 360 was the best selling console in America, but in hardware sales in total it ranks as the third, being narrowly beaten by the PS3 because of its sales in all the other regions. Either way I am not surprised if it turns out that Xbox One is selling more than the PS4 in USA.

You claim to have no dog in this hunt, but you take the effort to post this screed against imaginary Internet person. You even proclaim that you are gloating, which is an action many steps above not caring.

I am sorry, but a part of you does care about the X-Box One. Otherwise, you would have not wasted the effort.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
malestrithe said:
You claim to have no dog in this hunt, but you take the effort to post this screed against imaginary Internet person. You even proclaim that you are gloating, which is an action many steps above not caring.

I am sorry, but a part of you does care about the X-Box One. Otherwise, you would have not wasted the effort.

I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, I bought the 3DS on launch, I bought the WiiU on launch. I won't buy an Xbox One unless there comes out any games for it. I disliked Microsoft's communication throughout this entire thing, how they seemed to mock the consumer by offering the Xbox 360 as an appropriate substitute for those without a stable internet connection to deal with their DRM bullshit.

I stopped hating them eventually and just stopped caring. I don't give a fuck about the console itself, I care about the fact that I was right. When a great deal of (non-imaginary) people on this site claimed that PS4 would stand uncontested this console generation I simply said that the console wouldn't fail as bad as they seemed to think. So I am in a gloating kind of mood. Just the same as I gloated when my sister said chilli wasn't a fruit and I looked it up for her and proved her wrong. It doesn't change the taste of it, I don't gain anything from proving her wrong, I simply get the satisfaction of saying "you're wrong, here's the proof, SUCK IT!" Human nature that.

Anything else you want to falsely judge me for? That I dislike Sony? That I am fat? Please go on, you have already guessed that a Nintendo fanboy cares about the Xbox, I want to see how wrong you can get before you give up and admit you don't know me.

Edit: Also do you care about me or what I think about the Xbox? If you don't, why did you take the effort to quote me? Why did I take the effort to reply. I don't care about you, you don't care about me, yet we are having this discussion. Thus I have proven you wrong about your statement that you do have to care by using your logic.

I feel like gloating again.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
The important word in this headline is "December" right? The numbers seem fairly close, but we're missing the actual release date of both consoles here.

Have either Sony or Microsoft revealed sales figures for specific regions yet?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Yopaz said:
The PS4 and XBO are neck and neck in the US. As of the end of 2013, the PS4 had about 200k units more than the XBO sold thanks to having one more week on the market before the XBO's launch. The week from Jan 4th that we have numbers from? XBO sold 105k units and the ps4 sold 90k (these numbers are typical immediately after the holidays). Compare this to the last generation where the 360 spanked the heck out of ps3. It's as close as it gets.

What Sony was king of last generation was the rest of the world. That's why Sony managed to overcome 360 sales despite never beating Microsoft in the US starting a year after the 360.

So we're seeing Sony take huge strides in market share across the board. The gap is much larger in Europe and Microsoft isn't even planning on releasing in Japan at all. Sony also suffered severe shortages in the US in the last week of November and most of December despite having sold far more than Microsoft worldwide.

So I certainly wouldn't use the word "winning" to describe Microsoft at all right now. Not unless my last name was Sheen.

I don't know if overall supply has anything to do with it. The ps4 sold 1.5 million more units globally than the XBO did. Differences in supply would only matter if the XBO had sold more globally than the PS4. But for all its manufacturing advantages, it doesn't help if they never sell enough consoles for it to be noticed.

I will say that Microsoft focused on a lot fewer markets and there were shortages in the US for PS4s like I said. So it's more that Sony was spread out globally than manufacturing disparities.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Lightknight said:
So I certainly wouldn't use the word "winning" to describe Microsoft at all right now. Not unless my last name was Sheen.
Neither would I. I would also say that it's too soon to say anything at all. If you read beyond that sentence you quoted you will see that I state various reasons why this might be, including that Sony have released its console in more countries than Microsoft which means the stock will be lower.

Now if you read the bit you did quote you will see that I am referring to those who said it would be a COLOSSAL FAILURE. I agree when you say it's not winning, but if you're going to call it a colossal failure at this point I would like to know your definition of small success. Because that must mean they sell 10 consoles to every single living person in the world if you're going to this a COLOSSAL FAILURE.

Edit: Also it seems you to have misunderstood my comment about their stock.

I didn't mean that they had less stock GLOBALLY, I specifically said this might indicate that they had less stock in USA. You know, the country where it has currently sold the most.

Seriously, did you make even a slight attempt to read my post? I'll be honest and say I didn't bother with yours because you blatantly ignored ALL of mine and just went straight to disagreeing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
J Tyran said:
Yopaz said:
As you say even if these figures are not the result of the Xbox One being a more desirable console its a great strategic victory on Microsoft's part, all those Xbones in stock might not be down to people not buying them it might be down to Microsoft ensuring a decent supply of hardware where Sony cannot.
but that is a problem that is meaningless in the long run. eventually sony will be able to supply all of the demand and only then we can really compare numbers. because one console selling more simply because the other guy does not manufacture as fast does not mean it is actually selling better or is more desirable. What it means is that they were running faster and captured more land but got no troops to hold it and the enemy army is marching in, slowly but steadily, from the sweatshops of china.

bigmitch256 said:

Sadly, i know people that would operate like that. the thinking is "i saved for months to play games and i cant now? fuck this im going to play one way or the other"

Yopaz said:
Now if you read the bit you did quote you will see that I am referring to those who said it would be a COLOSSAL FAILURE. I agree when you say it's not winning, but if you're going to call it a colossal failure at this point I would like to know your definition of small success. Because that must mean they sell 10 consoles to every single living person in the world if you're going to this a COLOSSAL FAILURE.
Having your enemy breate in your neck in the only market you can still hold over while last time you beat same guy 3 times over in same market is a collosal failure. we never said it would go bankrupt, no, just that it will loose severely to PS4. SO far the loss is 1.5 million. if you were to add WiiU sales in the period since PS4 launch to XboxOne sales you still wouldnt get as many sales as PS4. PS4 is clearly leading the board, and if, as you say, their sales is limited by supply shortage, that means there still are plenty of people that are waiting to buy it as fast as they can. As predicted, this is clear win for PS4. Heck, they almost took the US market - the Xbox stronghold almost fell to Sony. When your enemy is picking at your walls raising them down you are loosing the war.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Strazdas said:
J Tyran said:
Yopaz said:
but that is a problem that is meaningless in the long run. eventually sony will be able to supply all of the demand and only then we can really compare numbers. because one console selling more simply because the other guy does not manufacture as fast does not mean it is actually selling better or is more desirable. What it means is that they were running faster and captured more land but got no troops to hold it and the enemy army is marching in, slowly but steadily, from the sweatshops of china.
Of course it matters, Sony have handed Microsoft a major victory here and they will feel it for years to come. By allowing Microsoft to selling so many consoles they have allowed Microsoft to build up a massive install base, a bigger install base than they had in the first 12 months of the 360 in fact.

This means the Xbone will now remain competitive for a long time to come, more consoles out in the wild means more revenue from games and services for Microsoft. Many people will only by one console as well, what happens if they got the Xbone instead? What should have been an easy victory for Sony has turned sour because Sony couldn't meet demand.

No its not meaningless and I do not know what parallel universe exists where it would be.