DICE's Latest PC Patch for Battlefield 4 Reportedly Breaks Spawns

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
DICE's Latest PC Patch for Battlefield 4 Reportedly Breaks Spawns

DICE's "R20" server update for Battlefield 4, reportedly isn't allowing players to respawn after death.

Today, DICE Reddit, user "Epileino" has listed [http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065223371185743/] some of the new bugs that managed to creep its way into the R20 update.

Players unable to spawn after they died.
Not showing scores on kills & capping flags.
Player crash to desktop when this happens.

If you're one of the people affected by this bug, the warning on Battlelog states that players should update their Punkbuster files for a fix, which is corroborated by users on Reddit. [http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1vdu7r/so_r20_fucked_up_the_spawn/] PC BF4 players, is this spawn bug happening to you right now? If so, make sure to spread the word on how to fix this game-breaking bug in DICE's shooter.

In other BF4 news, the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences has included Battlefield 4 in its "Online Game of the Year" nominees. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131414-Academy-of-Interactive-Arts-Sciences-Announces-17th-D-I-C-E-Awards-Nominees]

Source: MP1st [http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1vdu7r/so_r20_fucked_up_the_spawn/]

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Jesus Christ, really? My God the more I hear about Battlefield 4 the more I think they shouldn't have shoved it out the door when they did. Glad I never picked it up and stopped at Bad Company II.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh hell yes this bug has been happening to everybody.

Aside from the manual updating of Punkbuster, Alt Tabbing in and out of the game a couple of times can fix it when the game won't let you spawn from the deployment screen, if you get stuck staring at the sky after a death then there's nothing to do but close the game.

It's been a hilarious couple of days on Battlefield 4, if nothing else this has made Domination brilliant as teams spawn in waves then rapidly dwindle as the bug gets them, then all drop in at once as they get out of it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well look on the bright side, this fixes the bug of spawning under the map...
Seriously DICE what the hell are you doing, 3 months in and you still can't pull your shit together yet the DLC pumps are in full swing and EA probably expecting a BF5 by the end of the year.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I hear that, in the grand monasteries of Nepal, they practice an ancient and mystical ritual called "bug testing". Perhaps DICE should send some of its programmers there to learn this incredible, superhuman skill.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
At this point EA is it's own worst enemy. We don't even need to be angry at them since they are making their own products a complete mess.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I've been having a lot of fun with Battlefield 4 since it came out, but goddamn DAY Z which is in alpha and in early access works better than a game that is out and has been for months. Good job EA, it seems that the bug reports are advertising the game more than you are.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
otakon17 said:
Jesus Christ, really? My God the more I hear about Battlefield 4 the more I think they shouldn't have shoved it out the door when they did. Glad I never picked it up and stopped at Bad Company II.
You were better off quitting after Bad Company 2. I played three because it was free to Playstation Plus members and it was so awful it wasn't even worth the time I put into playing it. Now they decided to follow it up with a broken version? This is absurd.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Well look on the bright side, this fixes the bug of spawning under the map...
Seriously DICE what the hell are you doing, 3 months in and you still can't pull your shit together yet the DLC pumps are in full swing and EA probably expecting a BF5 by the end of the year.
Actually, all DLC development was halted when they realized how broken the game was. They decided to release China Rising and Second Assault (for Xbox One) because they were already finished.

http://www.destructoid.com/future-battlefield-4-dlc-on-hold-until-issues-get-fixed-266892.phtml

OT: I'm so happy the most recent PS4 patch didn't add this bug, it sounds terrible. I've been relatively lucky with bugs, only losing a game or two of xp and unlocks around the time DERP attacked EA's servers.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Church185/stats/935791257/ps4/

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Colt47 said:
At this point EA is it's own worst enemy. We don't even need to be angry at them since they are making their own products a complete mess.
Colt47 said:
I'm honestly interested how BF4's buggy launch will affect the franchise long term. EA might have done more damaged to the brand by rushing it to the market. I mean, most of the people I talk to now are saying they love 64-player CQ. But instead of using that momentum to thrust people further into BF and away from CoD, they might have done the opposite. We'll know for sure once EA reports its financials.

Last time they revealed BF3's sales, it was at 17m units sold. Knowing EA, anything lower would be a disappointment.

Laggyteabag said:
I've been having a lot of fun with Battlefield 4 since it came out, but goddamn DAY Z which is in alpha and in early access works better than a game that is out and has been for months. Good job EA, it seems that the bug reports are advertising the game more than you are.
BF4, when it works, is flat out amazing. I'm at level 108 (or 109?) now and I still find enjoyment after all the hours I've logged into it. EA needs to be careful since if -- and when -- Destiny and Titanfall gets big, BF might have some other stiff competition aside from Call of Duty.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
You might want to fix your post a bit before ze mods find out. You would not like them when they're angry... or eating waffles. XD

On Topic: I think Rainbow Dash sums it up best here:

Seriously, it seems like DICE and EA just cannot get this game to function properly, as every new patch appears to bring in waves of reports of some new game-breaking bug ruining the game for countless people. This must reek of flat-out incompetence to the shareholders at this point.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
EA, you must be getting dizzy with all that drain-circling you're doing...

hope this is the nail in Battlefield's coffin. maybe then the company will actually attempt innovation, like Respawn is trying with Titanfall.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Its bad when you release a buggy game. Its even worse when you patch it to find out your patch broke something else REALLY important. Rush jobs = Cut corners. Hackjob programming at its finest though I can't blame DICE so much as EA for pressuring DICE to get it out the door. BF3 was still viable at BF4's release, they could have put more time into finishing development and QA and still sold well with a more functional product.
AAA companies need to realize that putting out a game that people want, regardless of time of year, will sell just as well as the competition IF there's a playerbase and IF they put out a functional game.

Being first out the door or off the starting line means nothing when you didn't train enough or prepare for the race and your ass cramps up 30ft from the start.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Alex Co said:
Laggyteabag said:
BF4, when it works, is flat out amazing. I'm at level 108 (or 109?) now and I still find enjoyment after all the hours I've logged into it. EA needs to be careful since if -- and when -- Destiny and Titanfall gets big, BF might have some other stiff competition aside from Call of Duty.
This is true, its definitely the best Battlefield since Bad Company 2, and even though I'm only level 34 right now, i've been having a blast. Its just that between the game's launch and now, i've had so many issues in between like being unable to join servers, crashes, spawning under the map, random deaths and this bug which is the worst of the bunch, I start to think that the game is still in beta but they just needed to turn a profit.

I do feel that whilst Battlefield may always be (or at least for the foreseeable future) THE multiplatform large scale warfare game, when Titanfall drops, Battlefield is going to have some serious competition from something other than Call of Duty, and I feel like if Battlefield sticks with the modern military shooter genre, the next game is not going to do as well. DICE need to make some radical changes to the way the test these games, otherwise Battlefield is just not going to be anywhere as successful as it is now.

OT: I can confirm that the punkbuster fix does work, or at least it has for me.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
In their continuing efforts to make modern FPSs more realistic...

Battlefield 4 seems to be working on transcending customer ire to reach the realm of slapstick-pratfall comedy.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Alex Co said:
I'm honestly interested how BF4's buggy launch will affect the franchise long term.
I think BF4 might be the last Battlefield game DICE make. Not so much because it's a failure (Although against BF3's 18million sales it likely will be) but because EA have got the Star Wars license and every time someone says the word 'Battlefront' they see floating dollar signs spring up out the ground.

Battlefront is supposedly coming out in what I would expect BF5's launch window to be in 2015, DICE isn't big enough to develop two games the scale of Battlefield at the same time, whilst Battlefront is a very similar proposition to BF mechanics wise. I think EA is about to bet big on the Disney license translating into Call of Duty busting sales.

Storm3ye

Feb 22, 2010
The latest patch also seems to have broken matchmaking, since matchmaking now only tries to join ONE server and that's it. If that's full, it shows that there are no servers. LoL