Sci-Fi RTS Etherium Unveils First Trailer

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sci-Fi RTS Etherium Unveils First Trailer

Tindalos Interactive's Etherium will feature an open ended single player campaign, game changing weather and three unique playable factions.

Sci-fi RTS games aren't really all that hard to come by. For many, the mere presence of a recent StarCraft on the market is more than enough to tide them over on the genre for years. That being the case, there's still no lack for developers ready and willing to throw their own games into the strategy arena.

Enter Tindalos Interactive's Etherium. Promising a non-linear solo campaign with three unique factions and seven distinct planets with dynamic terrain and weather that can substantially affect the way players fight. "Use a sandstorm to approach the enemy base unseen, or mount a rearguard attack by crossing a freezing river," said Tindalos. "Each of the 7 planets has diverse environments, and varied terrain that will force you to adapt your strategy."

Hoping to give players an introductory look at Etherium, the studio has released a teaser trailer to show it off in action. Personally, I wouldn't call it earthshaking material. That said, I still liked elements of it, though I will admit to being a bit peeved that the trailer cuts off before the explosions actually start. Then again, that's they why the call it a teaser. I'm curious as to what you all think, however. Will you be keeping an eye on Etherium or did its first video fail to grab you?

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
With the enormous nexus-structure being the only building in sight and every unit is being spawned from it, I'm afraid this is going to be one of those 'streamlined' RTSs that ignore basebuilding. Those games always seem to be little more than those clickfest flash-games where you spawn gigatons of units that beeline to the enemy base and die. Fun to watch, boring to play.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011

Yeah, I fear for this game. Weather and Environmental mechanics rarely if ever works in an RTS. That said, we have so little true RTS these days (with only Focus's own Wargame series and Starcraft still kicking around) that I wouldn't dismiss it completely.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
When the promises are so big yet your trailer so cheap I have to say someone is either selling a load of hot air or it's so early in development the game isn't even worth mentioning.

Sure I'll give it a look once done, but none of this fills me with hope.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Ehhh... with so few real RTS games nowadays, I really want to have hope for this game. But wish all thos3 really going promises and that lackluster trailer, I can't help but feel disappointed.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Sorry, I'm ruined for all other RTS games after 800+ hours in Company of Heroes. The cover system working in tandem with the semi-destructible/deformable environment, the fact that tanks and most armored cars are immune to small arms fire (meaning that a swarm of infantry is rendered useless without anti-tank weaponry unlike, say, Starcraft), the huge amount of maps, campaign missions, individual strategies, and commander tech trees creating a game where you CAN drop 800+ hours into it without getting bored; the delicious flavor of the game, where units chatter amongst each other when bored, yell at the enemy when they're fighting, yell at YOU when they're fighting, yell at each other, just yell in general... Yeah, just having to get un-used to the mechanics of Company of Heroes means I'm having a bad time whenever I start playing any other RTS. So unless this game turns out to be the second coming in video game form, I think I'll pass.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
Sci-fi RTS games aren't really all that hard to come by.
... Where are you shopping in the last few years that makes that sentence anywhere near true?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Absolutionis said:
With the enormous nexus-structure being the only building in sight and every unit is being spawned from it, I'm afraid this is going to be one of those 'streamlined' RTSs that ignore basebuilding. Those games always seem to be little more than those clickfest flash-games where you spawn gigatons of units that beeline to the enemy base and die. Fun to watch, boring to play.
there are two type of strategy games when it comes to RTS. the strategic ones (buildings, strategy, tactics, for example Star Craft, command and conquer) and spam ones (constant race, always building units, decisions usually involve whether you expand economy or troops only, all about how much dps you can manufacture and sustain, will you constantly spam with smaller units or larger units and hope your opponent cant do both, for example Suppreme commander, empire earth).
This game seems to be the latter, and its needless to say both types have their fans.

Pandaman1911 said:
Sorry, I'm ruined for all other RTS games after 800+ hours
I think thats a problem really (and not only with RTS). there comes out one or two games that are so great you can easily spend hundreds of hours in them, and then the other "above average" just cant compare and we start hating them. The bar was raised so high by few games that others are failing to compete.
Thats why i always try to give games that dont sound perfect a shot. Thats how i found True Crime series that i liked.