Game of Thrones Fan Art Puts Its Characters in Feudal Japan

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Game of Thrones Fan Art Puts Its Characters in Feudal Japan

The artist has recreated some of Game of Thrones' more memorable scenes in the style of Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints.

Game of Thrones is set in the fictional world of Westeros, which is your run-of-the-mill western fantasy world. But what if it was instead set in feudal Japan? One artist has imagined just that, producing a series of beautiful traditional Japanese ukiyo-e wood block prints depicting the series most memorable scenes. Marvel in their awesomeness below:

[gallery=2032]

If you're having trouble determining them, the scenes included are:

Jon Snow's duel with Qhorin Halfhand
Bran Stark being carried by his faithful servant, Hodor
Daenyerys Targaryen with her dragons
Tyrion Lannister being taken away to Erie castle
The duel between Robert Baratheon and Rhaegar Targaryen that preceded the events of the TV series
The Execution of Eddard Stark

These are some pretty sweet pictures, and it definitely reminds me of those awesome Nintendo wood block prints [http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/07/01/your-favorite-nintendo-games-as-youve-never-seen-them-before-as-traditional-japanese-prints/] we saw pop up last year. The Game of Throne guys look right at home in feudal Japan, and all of the little touches (such as the death poem in front of Eddard) really make the set.

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://imgur.com/a/wuLsm]

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Um, I don't want to be "that guy" but 3+4 are switched, as well as 5+6 >.< I either dun goofed, or it was fixed. Much obliged!

Still, really well done! A tip of the hat to the artist

Maybe we can get some Western-based painting styles of anime? XD

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PsychicTaco115 said:
Um, I don't want to be "that guy" but 3+4 are switched, as well as 5+6 >.< I either dun goofed, or it was fixed. Much obliged!

Still, really well done! A tip of the hat to the artist

Maybe we can get some Western-based painting styles of anime? XD
I fixed it. I uploaded them in the right order, but when i put the pictures into a gallery it mixed them up for some reason...

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
steve front page icons on the news feed are wrong you got the windows logo on both. idk if its an escapist issue or what.
also you got to love the old style japanese paintings makes me think of that samurai champloo episode

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
These are awesome! I love the one with Robert and Rhaegar the best, I really feel like it captures the feeling of that moment even though the setting is different.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Zacharious-khan said:
steve front page icons on the news feed are wrong you got the windows logo on both. idk if its an escapist issue or what.
also you got to love the old style japanese paintings makes me think of that samurai champloo episode
Glitch in the system. Should be fixed now

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
...Spoiler warning?
I've seen the TV show and read most of the books but stuff like
Ned's death
is a big deal for people new to the series. Might want to put something to stop people accidentally reading this.

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
Nifty.

Couldn't figure out what the hell the final picture was supposed to represent until I read the description, though. Is he committing seppuku before execution, or what?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
This has inspired poetry in me:

Hodor hodor hodor,
Hodor hodor hodor hodor
Winter is coming.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Hodor's eyes are a bit scary, other than that, these are so awesome!

I wonder if they could be sold as actual prints, I would buy them immediately.

[small]Or a 1080p desktop wallpaper version perhaps? :3[/small]

makano

Nov 23, 2009
This is cultural appropriation at its finest you should all be ashamed of yourself's only pure blood Japanese are allowed to draw this and Game of thrones should be banned because its misogynistic/transphobic/racist(sarcasm).

joking aside they look great my complements to the artist.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Am I missing something here?

To me these almost seem to illicit the same response as when crazed hippies approach me and claim "I FOUND JESUS IN ME TOAST" (which is obviously a bi-weekly occurrence) - in the sense that, I can sort of see where these are from and then not at all at the same time.

I like the artwork and the style, but only a couple made me think 'game of thrones' and the rest seemed unconnected. Perhaps it is just because I am ill-educated on the subject matter, as I am just a casual watcher of the TV show, but if you hadn't of told me they were game of thrones before showing, I definitely wouldn't of guessed in most cases.

Gorr

May 9, 2012
AWESOME art!

Steven Bogos said:
Game of Thrones is set in the fictional world of Westeros, which is your run-of-the-mill western fantasy world. But what if it was instead set in feudal Japan?
The power structures in feudal Japan wasn't that much different from the power structures of feudal Europe. I am pretty sure that an author with a good knowledge of feudal Japan's social norms could have made "A song of ice and fire - Japanese style".

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
This has inspired poetry in me:

Hodor hodor hodor,
Hodor hodor hodor hodor
Winter is coming.
Death shines here my Stark
Your rythm is wrong you northman
Now you'll hear me roar

(A haiku by me, and it sucks)

This is awesome. I love ukiyo-e and love A Song of Ice and Fire. I think that an adaptiation could be done, and be interesting (maybe not killing all Targaryens, as the killing of en emperor was very frowned upon but keeping a child puppet and being Roebrt a Shogun). Hmm now I want to try it. But namig could be problematic

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
dunam said:
hazabaza1 said:
...Spoiler warning?
I've seen the TV show and read most of the books but stuff like
Ned's death
is a big deal for people new to the series. Might want to put something to stop people accidentally reading this.
There is a statute of limitations on spoiler warnings. For a book that came out 1996 and a very well known tv series that aired two years ago.

Besides, anyone who cares about spoilers that deeply, shouldn't be clicking on things with its name in it.
...no?

It doesn't take much to have the manners to put [SPOILERS] in the title of a news article or putting a sentence in a spoiler box. A lot of people maybe haven't discovered or haven't caught up because they're busy with... fuck, I dunno, life?

Not putting a simple spoiler warning when you can helps nobody and only serves to annoy others. You can "statute of limitations lol" all you want but it's completely arbitrary and ruins some of the largest surprises in a series for people who might otherwise enjoy it more.