Windows XP Phaseout Puts 13 Million Japanese PCs at Risk

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Windows XP Phaseout Puts 13 Million Japanese PCs at Risk

And you thought your company was using out of date tech...

Experts warn that more than 13 million personal computers in Japan will be exposed to higher risk of virus and other attacks starting in mid-April, when Microsoft will cease to support the decade-old operating system. Of that 13 million, 7.23 million Windows XP-based PCs are still in use by Japanese businesses, making up around 20% of all PCs in use in the country.

Migration to Windows 7, or the recently released 8.1 is very slow, especially at small and midsize firms, because managers are either unaware of the problem or want to avoid the cost of updating.

But it's the town, city and prefecture governments that are the biggest offenders according to a survey by the Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry last October. Around 2 million computers are in use at these offices, 722,166 (or 36%) of which are running XP. Governments blame the software used to handle of residential and taxation data, which is incompatible with newer operating systems.

As for personal use, an estimated 5.97 million PCs (14% of all PCs in Japan) owned by individuals are running Windows XP.

Both PC manufactures and Microsoft have made many attempts to persuade Japanese PC users to upgrade, such as allowing deferred payment on new PCs. Japan, which many see as a futuristic nation on the cutting edge of technology, ironically clings to office technology that the western world has long-since abandoned, such as the fax machine and Internet Explorer.

The end of Windows XP support will also reportedly leave nearly all of Japan's ATMs vulnerable. Japanese banks have lost ¥760 million to Internet hackers as of Oct. 15, 2013.

Source: The Japan Times [http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/19/national/windows-xp-phaseout-to-put-13-million-pcs-at-risk-in-japan-experts/#.Ut8ErRDTldg]

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Japan, which many see as a futuristic nation on the cutting edge of technology, ironically clings to office technology that the western world has long-since abandoned, such as the fax machine and Internet Explorer.
Ouch.

Oh, and I believe I'm also inclined to cry "FIRST!"

OT: Wait, ATM's will be vulnerable? Seriously? Japan better sort that shit out NOW.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Well I hope Microsoft sends me a copy of windows 7, otherwise I'm kinda boned. If only they'd extend it another year.
Also wow, Japan, never would've thought they'd still be using it. I expected it from like China, not the home of Sony.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Infernal Lawyer said:
Ouch.

Oh, and I believe I'm also inclined to cry "FIRST!"

OT: Wait, ATM's will be vulnerable? Seriously? Japan better sort that shit out NOW.
The amount of devices that run on Windows XP is staggering, I wouldn't be surprised if most of America's ATM's, PoS (Point of Sale) terminals and other financial stuff was also running on XP. It's a mixture of cost and as stated above, the software needed is literally not compatible and has not been updated. Heck the corporation I work at, Australia has 99% conversion to Win 7 from XP and we're the highest ranking country, there are some that are way lower and probably wont be completed for a few years. We're talking about thousands if not millions of computers being recalled, replaced or refurbished and then the users taught how to use the new systems etc (the hardest part is the user, they are often completely against change).

I'm surprised smaller companies aren't upgraded though, surely they would have bought new PC's within the last 4 years (as computers have a 3-4 year lifespan in business). Sounds like places that are neglecting their systems, probably even family run ones that are completely in the dark about this.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I still have a PC running XP, and my other is running 7.

Win8/8.1 won't be touching my computers any time soon.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Pfft, thats nothing.

The NHS in the UK still predominantly uses Windows 98.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Windows XP is very nice and reliable. Not everyone needs the latest OS. As for protection against hacking - not every computer needs Internet access.

Those ATMs will probably require upgrades though.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
my comptuer at work still run XP. i am writing this from Xp computer. The reason i moved to 7 at home was because they simply dont make XP drivers for the hardware i used, but also later the whole "no longer support directx 9" thing came.

I still stand by my saying that Windows XP was the best windows microsoft ever made, and they should have upgraded on that instead of working on whole new system, but 7 isnt that bad and they do have some things fixed there. Office 2010 is a godsend though, the Word program is hardly improved but Excel and the rest shoots over 2003 version with a thunderous strike.

Also looks like here at work an update will be forced. Sigh, i wonder how they will go about it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I just love that completely asinine assessment "the moment MS doesn't support you we are all doomed", completely ignoring the fact you were at even higher risk for as long as it took MS to patch their OS to this very point, i.e. the last 13 years.

If you actually use your brain for a second and manage security of your own system you will be just fine, and anyone relying on MS for security was never going to be fine in the first place.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I get the impression that a lot of companies, including many other governments, miiiight also be guilty of this. Is Japan just especially bad?

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Many British Government Departments still use XP. Like the Japanese guy said in the article, it's an issue of the cost of upgrading the huge number of comps and the fact that new custom software would have to be ordered and built for the new OS. A large cost during a time of cuts.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Better start donating to ReactOS, then. That's got its kernel compatibility targeted at Windows NT 5.2 (Server 2003 and XP x64 Edition).

On the other hand, now would be a good opportunity for the stick-in-the-mud businesses to switch to Linux. If they're going to need new software anyway, might as well use an OS where open source is the default and the source code will be available.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Roxor said:
Better start donating to ReactOS, then. That's got its kernel compatibility targeted at Windows NT 5.2 (Server 2003 and XP x64 Edition).

On the other hand, now would be a good opportunity for the stick-in-the-mud businesses to switch to Linux. If they're going to need new software anyway, might as well use an OS where open source is the default and the source code will be available.
Open source Government program? Anonymous and its ilk would certainly like that.

There are legal ramifications for even looking at the wrong stuff, I can't imagine they'd be overly happy with giving the keys away to their systems to anyone with a will to use them.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I still use Windows XP at home. While it is partly cost, it's mostly a matter of personal taste and familiarity.

I've seen and experienced Windows Vista, it was horrible and I hated every time I had to use that computer. I've seen and experienced Windows 8, it looks ridiculous and I can't stand that type of interface for something like a computer. Windows 7, maybe, I've heard good things but I have no experience.

Windows XP is just.. like one guy said, stable and reliable. I've had almost no problems with it in the last 12 or so years since it came out. The few problems that did arise weren't even really related to the OS, more to hardware or related software (like drivers).

I do not look forwards to the day I have to ultimately upgrade. On the other hand, I know people who haven't used Windows Update in years and it hasn't hurt them a bit.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I work in a supermarket and all the computers there run on XP, except maybe the checkouts which are ancient. But self service, home shopping collection, customer service, reception and all the offices run XP.

I can't see it being too much of a problem. As long as the company keeps up an anti-virus subscription I doubt it would have an effect at all.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Roxor said:

The fact that React still exists is hilarious. I remember trying it out years ago. They were... Not exactly on target with their mission statement. Furthermore, with MS back in the "Let's update the OS" stage, React's gonna fall behind. We have newer libraries that we'd like to have, and if they stick on the XP bandwagon, they're going to lag behind into obscurity. Well, more into obscurity...

On topic though, I'm sorry, but it's about fuckin' time that people got with the times. I know there's the cost of upgrading, and some companies can't upgrade, but we all knew this was comin'. If you're held back, we should have been aiming for an upgrade by now. Welcome to the world of technology. Ever changing, ever growing, and hanging back with the old, well... It's more than just undesirable, it's inefficient.

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
kurupt87 said:
Many British Government Departments still use XP. Like the Japanese guy said in the article, it's an issue of the cost of upgrading the huge number of comps and the fact that new custom software would have to be ordered and built for the new OS. A large cost during a time of cuts.
Both cost and compatibility. Some programs used by governments do not run well if at all on newer versions of windows. why? lack of foresight? I don't know the reason, I just know its the case.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Infernal Lawyer said:
ATM's will be vulnerable? Seriously? Japan better sort that shit out NOW.
Only a few years ago my card got stuck in an ATM in the UK i called the emergency number on the unit immediately and let them know and canceled my cards. A few moments later i see the windows 95 boot screen ( and this was less than 4 years ago).

Any pc with a gig of ram and P4 or later can run 7 just fine so i dont see a huge problem they can upgrade to 7 or move to a linux distro.

Galen Marek said:
Both cost and compatibility. Some programs used by governments do not run well if at all on newer versions of windows. why? lack of foresight? I don't know the reason, I just know its the case.
Its still no excuse, this exactly why governments should exclusively use free software (as in GNU-Linux not as in open source). Then they are free to update and fix whatever they like.

kurupt87 said:
There are legal ramifications for even looking at the wrong stuff, I can't imagine they'd be overly happy with giving the keys away to their systems to anyone with a will to use them.
I am sorry but you don't understand how an open system works. Just because the source is available does not mean that anyone can get in, that's like saying i know how to make a lock so i can open any lock without the key for example http://www.openbsd.org/ is considered my most security experts as one of the most secure system arround.

In fact most open systems are more secure than closed simply because there are more eyes on the code in a closed system the bugs and exploits can be hidden from you.