Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul In Talks For The Dark Tower Role

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul In Talks For The Dark Tower Role

Ron Howard's The Dark Tower adaptation is apparently still underway, with hopes that Aaron Paul might star as a modern-day gunslinger.

The last time we heard about Ron Howard's The Dark Tower adaptation, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109868-Rumor-Dark-Tower-Films-May-Be-Dead>the project seemed to have stalled in pre-production. That's unfortunate, but perhaps understandable. The original Stephen King novels blended Western, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi tropes into a massive tale of cowboys and parallel dimensions that would cost a small fortune to produce faithfully. While there's no official word that The Dark Tower is back on, those pre-production wheels are apparently still turning. During an interview at the Sundance Film Festival, Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul let slip that he'd met with Ron Howard about Eddie Dean, a central figure and fan-favorite character from The Dark Tower novels.

"I've had a ton of meetings on that," Paul said. "I just had a general sit down with Ron Howard, who is a huge fan of the show (Breaking Bad, naturally), which is such a crazy thing to even think that Ron Howard even knows who I am. They're definitely planning on making it."

Paul admitted to never having read the books before, but after Breaking Bad, it's hard to deny that he's a natural fit. In The Dark Tower, Dean is a heroin addict with a heart of gold who becomes entangled in Roland Deschain's journey to the mysterious Dark Tower. Following Roland on his quest, Eddie struggles with his addiction while training to become a formidable gunslinger in his own right, facing personal and literal demons along the way. In those terms, Eddie actually bears strong similarities to Breaking Bad's Jesse Pinkman, making Paul an excellent choice for the role.

If Paul's comments from the interview hold true, Howard is sticking with his plan <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100395-Apocalyptic-Western-Dark-Tower-Gunslings-to-TV-Movies>of telling The Dark Tower's story across film and television adaptations. "Their goal is to do three films, but also have a television element to it," Paul explained, "which will be very interesting." That being said, we still can't confirm Dark Tower will be greenlit at all, let alone fit Howard's format, regardless of how well these meetings have gone. Then again, we live in a world where Marvel Studios can wildly succeed with similar large-scale projects, so perhaps putting Paul's name in the credits can get the ball rolling once again.

Source: Bleeding Cool

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
He'd make a pretty damn good Eddie Dean... considering that Jessie Pinkman is basically Eddie Dean minus the fantasy influenced character development.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
He'd make a pretty damn good Eddie Dean... considering that Jessie Pinkman is basically Eddie Dean minus the fantasy influenced character development.
Agreed. I also remember reading quite some time ago that Javier Bardem was on board for the Roland role, which would be fantastic.

That leaves Odetta/Susanna and jake to go to round out the ka-tet.

Dear god, please do not let this fall to someone like Halle Berry. that would be sad and horrible.

I just hope this thing eventually comes to pass.

If for no other reason than to see Lobstrocities on the big screen.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Wow.

just wow. That is inspired casting. In many ways Jesse is a twin of Eddie Dean. I am not crazy about them making a Dark Tower film but Aaron Paul has the ability to pull it off. This movie will live or die by the cast. They are such well realised characters with inner motivations and drives. They will need great actors. I can't wait to see who they get for old long, tall and ugly. But Susannah is going to be a great role. She is as strong and diverse a character you can imagine. I quite like Sonja Sohn (Kima Greggs from the Wire) Lets just say without spoiling anything she has all the right ingredients for that character

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
What? Aaron Paul is way too young to play Roland...oh, he's going to play Eddie? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Good for him: I was afraid that he might go the way of Daniel Radcliffe post-Harry Potter(The Lady in Black *shudders*), but the guy seems to have been snagged for what seems like a project that could easily turn out good.

Bear in mind, I actually mean it, Aaron Paul is a really cool guy.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
YES! MORE DARK TOWER NEWS!

[HEADING=1]dark tower, *****![/HEADING]

And yeah, I never thought about Aaron Paul.

He's perfect, come to think of it.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Huh. I'm reading that series right now. Anyway, I can't think of a better fit for Eddie. I mean, it kinda sucks that he's getting sort of typecast, but it's still good casting.

Mar 26, 2008
WWmelb said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Agreed. I also remember reading quite some time ago that Javier Bardem was on board for the Roland role, which would be fantastic.

Dear god, please do not let this fall to someone like Halle Berry. that would be sad and horrible.

After seeing Angela Bassett light it up in American Horror Story: Coven she would be a perfect Odetta/Susanna. For some reason I imagined Eddie as more of a greaser, but Aaron Paul would make a good Eddie. Not sure who'd make a good Jake. Haley Joel Osmont would have been perfect back in the day. And then there's CGI for Oy.

They really need someone grizzled for Roland, as he is basically Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name. I reckon Jackie Earle Haley could be a good fit. They also need someone for the younger 'Wizard and Glass / Wind Through The Keyhole' Roland.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Its a huge project to capture the reality presented in the Dark Tower series. I think Ron Howard has the talent to do it right, and the TV/Movie fusion sounds like the best way to pull it off. Also Aaron Paul is a perfect fit for Eddie. As for Roland I'm unsure of who it could be, just please not Gerard Butler, Russel Crowe or other-generic-grizzled-dude. Thats just my view.

2HF

May 24, 2011
I spent all these years casting Roland and the only guy I came up with was Clint Eastwood's clone, I never gave any thought to who should play Eddie but as soon as I saw this it clicked. He is absolutely perfect for Eddie. Shame Eddie doesn't call more people "*****".

Actually I think Bradley Cooper could do Roland. Gruff him up a bit and I think he'd be great.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
WWmelb said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

After seeing Angela Bassett light it up in American Horror Story: Coven she would be a perfect Odetta/Susanna. For some reason I imagined Eddie as more of a greaser, but Aaron Paul would make a good Eddie. Not sure who'd make a good Jake. Haley Joel Osmont would have been perfect back in the day. And then there's CGI for Oy.

They really need someone grizzled for Roland, as he is basically Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name. I reckon Jackie Earle Haley could be a good fit. They also need someone for the younger 'Wizard and Glass / Wind Through The Keyhole' Roland.
Angela Bassett is fantastic agreed, but she's a little too old for the role of Odetta/Susanna... if memory serves she is only late 20's (looked it up, 27) in the series, as she is Eddie's lover, so a few years his senior.. but not 20 + years his senior lol. Mind she looks damn good for her age lol.

amaranth_dru said:
Its a huge project to capture the reality presented in the Dark Tower series. I think Ron Howard has the talent to do it right, and the TV/Movie fusion sounds like the best way to pull it off. Also Aaron Paul is a perfect fit for Eddie. As for Roland I'm unsure of who it could be, just please not Gerard Butler, Russel Crowe or other-generic-grizzled-dude. Thats just my view.
2HF said:
I spent all these years casting Roland and the only guy I came up with was Clint Eastwood's clone, I never gave any thought to who should play Eddie but as soon as I saw this it clicked. He is absolutely perfect for Eddie. Shame Eddie doesn't call more people "*****".

Actually I think Bradley Cooper could do Roland. Gruff him up a bit and I think he'd be great.
I personally think Javier Bardem, as mentioned earlier, who was either heavily sought or tentatively confirmed, is a great choice. I personally can't think of anyone who would be a better choice. Just dear god not Josh Brolin. Ron Perlman could be an interesting choice though... i'm not sure he is nuanced enough for the role though, he very much just plays Ron Perlman.

Lono Shrugged said:
Wow.

just wow. That is inspired casting. In many ways Jesse is a twin of Eddie Dean. I am not crazy about them making a Dark Tower film but Aaron Paul has the ability to pull it off. This movie will live or die by the cast. They are such well realised characters with inner motivations and drives. They will need great actors. I can't wait to see who they get for old long, tall and ugly. But Susannah is going to be a great role. She is as strong and diverse a character you can imagine. I quite like Sonja Sohn (Kima Greggs from the Wire) Lets just say without spoiling anything she has all the right ingredients for that character
Sonja Sohn also has the chops to pull off the role, however, once again, a little past the age bracket of the character (she turns 50 this year) but would be amusing that she was born the year that Detta was pulled from into Midworld (1964).

Possibly Zoe Saldana could fit the bill, but she would have to loosen up a lot and go all out.

As far as jake .. i have no suggestions. I don't know any child actors off the top of my head, and most of the time they just annoy the hell out of me.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Paul sure does have a brain that can't stop pulling the trigger. Now let's solve the Roland problem.

Mar 26, 2008
WWmelb said:

Possibly Zoe Saldana could fit the bill, but she would have to loosen up a lot and go all out.
Good call on that. After you mentioned her it made me think of Naomie Harris who played both Calypso in the Pirates Of The Caribbean and Moneypenny in Skyfall. She's certainly got the range and although she's 37, she could pass herself off as younger.