Update: Microsoft And Machinima Defend YouTube Promotion Deal

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Microsoft And Machinima Defend YouTube Promotion Deal

Both Microsoft and Machinima claim the deal, which paid YouTubers to present the Xbox One in a positive light, was nothing unusual.

Update: Machinima has issued a separate statement apologizing for how the deal went down, stating that it typically requires channel partners to include certain language in their video content relating to its promotions.

"That didn't happen here and we're evaluating why," the statement said. "All participants are being asked today to include our standard language going-forward. We apologize for the error and any confusion."

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/21/xbox-endorsements-on-youtube-cause-flap/?utm_content=buffer52ff8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer]

Original Story: Earlier in the week, Neogaf uncovered a rather sinister promotional deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131454-Microsoft-Offering-3-per-CPM-for-YouTubers-to-Promote-Xbox-One] between Microsoft and Machinima, in which Machinima would pay out a bonus to video makers who put the Xbox One in a positive light. Now, both Microsoft and Machinima have commented on the deal, saying that it was a 'typical marketing partnership,' and that these kinds of deals are common.

The two companies' join statement was as follows:

"This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion."

The last part, about the confidentiality agreement, is particularly important, as it was previously assumed to mean that video producers were not allowed to say that they were being paid by Machinima to promote the Xbox One.

Under the deal, video producers would receive an extra $3 per thousand views, as long as they made a video that used Xbox One footage, was at least 30 seconds long, mentioned the console by name, and did not present Machinima, Microsoft, or the Xbox One in a negative light. The program was capped at 1.25 million total views, so the maximum combined payout was $3,750.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/21/5331786/machinima-microsoft-youtube-advertising-deal-typical-marketing-partnership]

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
The deal is not the problem, the problem is the NDA that effectively forces you to A) like to your viewers and B) Break US law. And no its not to cover the agreement it clearly states you cannot disclose that its a promotional /paid video.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Really, I think Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot (yet again) with this one.

Now whenever a video reviewer says something positive about the xbone people will just assume they're being bribed, regardless of whether or not the reviewer genuinely liked the console or game.

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
Genocidicles said:
Really, I think Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot (yet again) with this one.

Now whenever a video reviewer says something positive about the xbone people will just assume they're being bribed, regardless of whether or not the reviewer genuinely liked the console or game.
Totally! and hell, who's to say Sony hasn't been doing the same thing? guess the only news on YouTube you can trust is about Nintendo since they hate YouTube :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well no it's not unusual to you fucker because you just told us this slimy shit has been going on the whole time, but it is quite unusual to us since you never disclosed that extremely important titbit of information for a company that always defended it's content as independent and not influenced, or in short you are a lying bag of male genitalia.

Apparently what you are doing is also illegal under new FTC brand disclosure regulations... so perhaps that will jog your "morals".

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
zellosoli said:
Genocidicles said:

Totally! and hell, who's to say Sony hasn't been doing the same thing? guess the only news on YouTube you can trust is about Nintendo since they hate YouTube :p
That, and the fact that they show such little confidence in the product that they resort to bribery. For shame console peasants, for shame.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Scrumpmonkey said:
The problem was the poor attempt at deception. These videos will essentially be commercial videos in an arena that is traditionally assumed to consist of honest community based content. "Paint in a positive light" is basically Microsoft paying individuals that are supposed to represent grass-roots consumer views to lie to their viewers.

It's the fact that Microsoft assumes it can buy opinion that makes people uncomfortable, the attempt at a collective lie that the Xbone is not a consumer hating pile of micro-transactions and questionable pricing models.
Except that this isn't really true, which was reveled be recent updates recently summarized by his husky gentleman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CnSIJJNjIs

Basically, this is on Machinima.

Edit: how the hell do you embed things in this forum? Nvm, I'll just drop the link...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
TomWiley said:
Edit: how the hell do you embed things in this forum? Nvm, I'll just drop the link...
For youtube videos do this minus the spaces:

[ youtube = ###### ]

Where ##### is the part of the url after 'watch?v='

So your video would be

[ youtube = 9CnSIJJNjIs ]

I hope that helps.

OT: I think this is probably going to backfire for Microsoft in that people now know they have been buying positive opinions. No doubt they have given a few reviewers/websites a 'goody bag' for their reviews on Xbone titles.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
If the system was all Microsoft claims it's cracked up to be, it wouldn't have to resort to bribing people to fool others into thinking it's a better system than it is.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Steam never had a problem just being itself, being awesome, and having people legitimately tell others to join the service without having to take Valve's money to do so.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
It surprises me that people are actually surprised about this... It was bound to happen, sooner or later.

Reviews have always had an impact on consumer choice, and when provided with a means to influence reviews, marketers will do so. It makes sense from a business perspective both to marketers and to reviewers. It's easy to claim that the reviewers are "selling out", but lets keep in mind that, for many, the money they make off of their videos is their only form of income. It's hard to turn down a chance to earn a bigger salary (which immediately translates to solving many problems of your day to day life).

Now, I'm not saying I think this is morally acceptable. I find the tendency of market forces to simply buy out their respective markets morally repulsive, and detrimental to the market at large.

I just say that such developments, in absence of proper regulations, are not only possible, but totally expected.

There are two ways to solve this issue:

a) Never take any information on a product at face value, and make an effort to check different sources and do some work by yourself to determine the validity of the review's claims.

b) Push for actual regulation (yes, that means political activism) that ensures a level playing field and punishes marketers who knowingly use deception to bolster sales.

Ideally, both options should be exercised. Sadly, the first option will be invalidated by most people having a irrational "loyalty" to the reviewers they follow, and the second option will be ignored because most people seem to think laws and regulations only serve to further oppression, instead of having an actual valid use (when properly implemented).

Oh, and both options require more effort than just posting on a forum like I'm doing right now. :(

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Wow... I bet IGN is mad that Machinima is stealing their Micro$oft money..... BAHAHAH!
I am just glad that somewhere someone let this little gem slip. I know people have been crying about companies/websites being bought out for positive reviews but it is always nice to see it really is happening, and not just a load of bullshit.

Great job MS on saying this is normal for you too!!!!

Anthadlas Babyeater

Feb 26, 2013
Isn't this type of advertising illegal?

I'm pretty sure if you pay somebody to advertise for you then it is a requirement to dislose the relationship between the advertiser and the person who is employing them, otherwise it is not clear that it is advertising and it looks like you are paying people to say something is their personal opinion when it is not.

The fact that it is stated in the contract that you cannot mention the fact that you are being payed for the comments or from whom makes it an obvious breach of trading standards.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
alj said:
The deal is not the problem, the problem is the NDA that effectively forces you to A) like to your viewers and B) Break US law. And no its not to cover the agreement it clearly states you cannot disclose that its a promotional /paid video.
Gold star for you, head of the class, you win, game over, gnite everybody!

Really really sceevy filthy stuff this NDA nm the fact it was sheer illegal.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Anthadlas Babyeater said:
Isn't this type of advertising illegal?

I'm pretty sure if you pay somebody to advertise for you then it is a requirement to dislose the relationship between the advertiser and the person who is employing them, otherwise it is not clear that it is advertising and it looks like you are paying people to say something is their personal opinion when it is not.

The fact that it is stated in the contract that you cannot mention the fact that you are being payed for the comments or from whom makes it an obvious breach of trading standards.
Under the new FTC disclosure regulation law, yes this is illegal because they're not disclosing.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I find the cap to be the most interesting bit (I lack the legal knowledge to comment on the subtleties). $3750? Microsoft is being seriously cheapass here.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
There was a major shit storm going down on Machinima yesterday, I saw a screenie that someone posted and Reddit and people were less than impressed to put it mildly.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
My youtube channel is partnered with a fairly major group and I have to say that this kind of thing is VERY common. Usually the partner will approach the channel with the offer (or just let all their partnered channels know.) and it is up to you whether or not you want to partake. Personally I never have since I'm not really looking to advertise anything, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Viewers are generally savvy enough these days to know when their being pitched something, so it's kinda up to them if they want to continually view the content of someone who is trying to sell them on an idea.

Anyone who works relatively close to the entertainment industry could probably tell you that this stuff is WAY more common than you may think. I don't really have a personal stand on whether it's good or bad, but if you remain an informed consumer then you probably don't have a whole lot to worry about.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
The problem was the poor attempt at deception. These videos will essentially be commercial videos in an arena that is traditionally assumed to consist of honest community based content. "Paint in a positive light" is basically Microsoft paying individuals that are supposed to represent grass-roots consumer views to lie to their viewers.

It's the fact that Microsoft assumes it can buy opinion that makes people uncomfortable, the attempt at a collective lie that the Xbone is not a consumer hating pile of micro-transactions and questionable pricing models.
I'm not sure their defense of "this is actually common" helps any, either. It brings them further into question and possibly indicts the industry as a whole. It makes me wonder, too: if they knew we were unhappy with them doing it here, what made them think we'd be happy with the notion of this as SOP?