Dead Rising 3 Ships A Million Units

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Dead Rising 3 Ships A Million Units

Is this the zombie franchise that launched a thousand ships and burnt the topless towers of Los Perdidos? Sweet decaying creature, try not to make me immortal with a bite ...

Capcom's over the moon, as its Dead Rising 3 has shipped over one million units to date. In just over a month since its release, this Xbox One exclusive's taken the zombie-loving world - or at least that part of it the Xbox One can reach - by storm. Total worldwide sales for the franchise to date? Over 7 million. That's a lot of zombies. You'd almost think there was some kind of apocalypse going on.

Dead Rising 3's getting a lot of love from Capcom, what with its 3 billion zombies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131469-Dead-Rising-3-Gets-Massive-13GB-Update], and it's been over 30 days since then, so the kill count must have gone through the roof.

"Capcom remains firmly committed to entertaining fans and satisfying the expectations of all users by making the most of its industry-leading game development capabilities to create games that are full of originality and innovation," says Capcom. Jolly decent of it. Care for another slice of brain? It's wafer thin.

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140122.html]

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Sold 1 Million? But, the franchise sold 7 million, so between, 1, 2, Chop Till You Drop and Off the Record they sold an average of 1.5 million? And consider sales projections for CTYD were only half a million and Off the Record was a quick spin off the numbers for the other instalments will be closer to 2 million?

Now I'm waiting for the Capcom press release: "Product didn't sell as ludicrously well as we had dreamed, reboot imminent!"

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
Makes me rather wonder what it cost to make the game, as their cut of 1mil sales doesn't feel it should cover a game of its caliber when a game like tomb raider or apparently needed ~4mil to break even.
But I guess they would have known that sales would be limited, being an exclusive release on a fresh console, so I imagine they've got some deal cut with Microsoft that evens it out.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Most of the kills will come from the vehicles, they kill way too much. But I'm happy to see it reach 1 million. As a fan of the series and a fan of Dead Rising 3 it brings me a bit of joy.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
One million shipped? Wow, so if you assume most were sold (and this time I can believe it, since there just aren't many games for either XB1 or PS4), then once you add in the absolutely ludicrous 13 gigabyte patch that's 13 PETABYTES of patching.

Also, as others have said, it may be fun but 'originality and innovation' lolololololol.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Once you start customizing vehicles the zombie kill count goes through the roof, but that's still a lot of zombies.
Ive seen videos where a person kills tens of thousands of zombies in 2 minutes. then from what it looked in the end of video hes about to do it again. now imagine 1 million people doing that. ok, lets say half of the people dont know how to play the game/doesnt like it. thats still 500.000 people killing thousands of zombies in minutes. thats not a lot of zombies, thats very little playtime actually.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Strazdas said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Once you start customizing vehicles the zombie kill count goes through the roof, but that's still a lot of zombies.
Ive seen videos where a person kills tens of thousands of zombies in 2 minutes. then from what it looked in the end of video hes about to do it again. now imagine 1 million people doing that. ok, lets say half of the people dont know how to play the game/doesnt like it. thats still 500.000 people killing thousands of zombies in minutes. thats not a lot of zombies, thats very little playtime actually.
Source? Because 'tens of thousands in 2 minutes' sounds like bullshit to me. They dont respawn in such a way which would support that claim, and you'd have to be roaming the map constantly, so it sounds unlikely. You can get to tens of thousands in a combo, but not in 2 minutes. Hell, a quick google search showed the highest uploaded footage to be around 4000 and that took 6 minutes or so. Most of the median videos actually show between 100-400.

Though honestly, having seen you around the forums, you usually post extreme exaggerated claims aimed at being dismissive to one thing or another, so I dont really except a source. Will be impressed if you give one, and eager to replicate the methods though.