8 Underrated Hearthstone Cards

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Underrated Hearthstone Cards

To celebrate Hearthstone making its way into open beta we give you a short list of some of the most underrated cards in the game.

Read Full Article

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Like a lot of people, i started playing this yesterday. I never played CCGs much in the past because of the 'arms race' mentality of having to purchase more cards to remain competitive. I like that in Hearthstone, using real money is only an option and i can get new cards just from playing (well, grinding).

that said, i'm still rubbish at strategy games. I feel that without having all of the information of the available cards, i just can't find the best path to victory.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
As much as I love Hearthstone, I couldn't bring myself to play it for more than a week or two before getting bored and wandering off. I don't know if it's just that I'm not plugged into the community or the lack of any way to communicate with my opponent, but I just can't get into it like I have Magic.

It's a solid game though, but it'll be interesting to see how long casual players stick with it. It certainly has the benefit of being the best presentation of any digital CCG right now, and until Magic Online ever gets its act together, it's probably the best overall.

I will say that as a Magic player I prefer Solforge because every game I play of Hearthstone the main thing going through my head is how nice it would be if Magic had an awesome client like this whereas Solforge actually feels like a different game instead of Magic Lite.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Falterfire said:
I will say that as a Magic player I prefer Solforge because every game I play of Hearthstone the main thing going through my head is how nice it would be if Magic had an awesome client like this whereas Solforge actually feels like a different game instead of Magic Lite.
Have you looked at HEX: The Shards of Fate? Right now it's in development (alpha stage, rough around the edges), but if they manage to do everything more or less as promised (there's a distance between the Kickstarter excitement and the final product) it will be a serious contender for people that like deeper games. The main idea seems to make a good digital version of Magic, together with a PVE/MMO side.

EDIT: I'd like to add that although initially I also thought Hearthstone was "too simple", recently I started playing it more and it's starting to grow on me. I don't know if I'll get bored soon but right now it's more fun than I expected it to be (from the perspective of a MtG player).

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I would only consider two or three of these cards 'underrated'. Most are being used in every single competitive deck. As for Ancestral Healing, the card is just considered bad. In Hearthstone the deck size is so limited that even 'ok' cards are bad because it is highly likely that there are 5 other cards that do the same (or similar) function, but are more efficient. If you're trying to heal something up it's best to just use an Earthen Ring Farseer, that way you get the heal AND a new card in play. In the same manor, it's also better to just use Ancestral Spirit, which brings you unit back to life after it dies (full health, with card effects such as divine shield or charge). This almost guarantees a 2-for-1 trade, and unlike Ancestral Healing is useful even if you are not behind.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
My hearthstone dream is for my opponent to go: turn two Milhouse Manastorm. Then on my turn I go, coin, Sprint, Sprint, Shiv, Shiv, Sinister Strike, Sinister Strike, Sap targetting Milhouse, double Headcrack, Edwin Vancleef. Unless they're also a rogue, and playing sap, I get at least one turn attacking with a 23/23. That puts them at -5 with me having 2 headcracks in hand, and the mana to use one.

alxtronic

Dec 8, 2012
Black Knight is definitely not underrated. It's the staple of many decks without hard removal like Druid and Paladin. Thrallmar has poor value for the mana cost, and is only good in the early game. Worgen is much more mana efficient, especially if you have a way to enrage the card yourself, like with Fireblast or Mad Bomber. Angry Chicken? Just, no. Too many prerequisites to get good value from the chicken. You need to buff it, then enrage it. Maybe it would work in a hunter deck, but in general it's a very poor 1-mana card.

Rabid_meese

Jan 7, 2014
The thing with this article is that it's pretending all of these cards exist within a vacuum. The reason why you don't take some of the lower combination cards is because if you're in a situation where you can play a combo like "Shattered Sun Cleric + Angry Chicken + Whirlwind", you're in a situation where you can play better cards. Not to mention, at that point, the weakest AoE would wipe your board, and more than likely put you at a massive disadvantage with your hand.

The reason a lot of those cards aren't good is because they aren't efficient. The Black Knights stats put him fairly low for a 6 cost creature - and Taunt's aren't as common as they used to be. You're essentially dropping a weaker Chill Wind Yeti at that point, which, for 4 cost, as a 4-5, is extremely potent in terms of damage and trading for board dominance.

Iron Gix

Mar 26, 2010
pretty misleading title, none of these cards are underrated and are used very often, Black Knight is in every deck...

red ant

May 18, 2009
If by underrated you mean completely awesome and useful, only like 1 or 2 cards will probably not be used in most cases.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I can't bring myself to play this game. I feel that if I start playing it's going to make me want to get back into WoW....and that's something I just don't want. I loved playing that game but it was just too much of a time sink.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Iron Gix said:
pretty misleading title, none of these cards are underrated and are used very often, Black Knight is in every deck...
I've played 400+ games... and not once have I ever seen an angry chicken. Because it's a pretty bad card xD. But the combo mentioned, ( when it works ) is really fun I bet.

However, I have to agree that for the most part, these cards are pretty common. I will say that Thrallmar Farseer is way undervalued though.

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
All this cards are okey. They can win you games in arena. You won't see this cards in 99% of the decks of the top 100 players. This cards are one trick ponies. In the current meta a hunter can kill you in 6 turns. Are you sure you are going to draw the combo needed for this cards to do anything ? Most of the times no. Innervate works with almost any card. Unleash the hounds combo with buzzards,timber,Leroy and hyena. That's why druids and hunters rule the meta. Black knight was great in the meta of a week ago when druids ran Ancient of War. That's history replaced with Tastingo. There are a lot of other better legendary cards to craft then black knight and van cleef sry.

jake557

May 30, 2008
MrMixelPixel said:
I've played 400+ games... and not once have I ever seen an angry chicken. Because it's a pretty bad card xD. But the combo mentioned, ( when it works ) is really fun I bet.
Even if you can pull off that combo flawlessly, aren't you just using 3 cards to play a slightly buffed Magma Rager?

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
jake557 said:
MrMixelPixel said:
Even if you can pull off that combo flawlessly, aren't you just using 3 cards to play a slightly buffed Magma Rager?
Pretty much! However, there is a certain kind of artsy player out there that just loves to pull of these sort of weird and unique combos. He or she looks at Angry Chicken and says "I'm gonna beat my opponent with a enraged, windfuried, angry chicken. Not because it's optimal, but because I can." It's one of the closest things Hearthstone has to a "Johnny" play style, if you've ever played magic. I think it's important that Hearthstone has the chance to incorporate more "creative" decks that might not be the best, but can still win.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Ancestral Healing is flat out awful, Angry Chicken requires so much set up to work that you're better off just dropping an equivalent attack minion for the cost, The rest of the cards aren't at all underrated, Black Knight especially, that card is one of the top 5 "must craft" legendaries at the moment.

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
Master Kuja said:
Ancestral Healing is flat out awful,
Looking at it from a purely cost effectiveness standpoint....yeah it is. However I am currently waltzing about in play mode with a shaman deck that has dreams of playing a turn 2 4/7 taunt with windfury the next turn; that's coin Injured Blademaster and AH on turn 2. It's happened a few times now, lets you dominate the early game and likely put enough pressure that your opponent will never recover. I would never take Ancestral Healing in Arena though, outside that combo I can't think of much use for it.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Personally I like using Abusive Sergeant. But, understandably, every else seems to rate him quite low. I totally understand why as well is the thing, he is useless outside of his ability, which is okay for the cost.