Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Review - Tressed Up

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Review - Tressed Up

A visually impressive rerelease, but a rerelease all the same.

Read Full Article

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I'll buy it when it's thirty bucks or less. I've waited this long, I can wait some more.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I'm actually all for re-releases provided there's a decent graphical/framerate update.

Also, it's worth noting that while the PS4 release runs at a smooth 60fps, the Xbox One version does not.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I might be just arguing semantics here but I really see this as more of a port than a re-release. Which by itself isn't a bad thing I suppose.

I don't think there's anything wrong with releasing games for more systems though. It actually benefits the consumers by making the game available to a larger audience. I fail to see any negative effects whatsoever. I mean - chances are that if you already have the game on a different system, you aren't going to buy it again. And if you don't have it, you are given more options.

I don't know if it's similarly positive for the publisher/developer but I honestly can't see a problem when it comes to the end-user.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I wouldn't have a problem with this, if it went along the same route as the HD collections. I can get two to three games for like 30$ with the HD collection.

Here you're giving me one game, 60$, with some tweaks that don't matter, while it's still very easy to find a copy of Tomb Raider for 30$ or less.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Dear Mysterious Video Game Overlords -

Please release a revised version of Skyrim for the PS4, complete with new fixes, and packed with a select choice of the very best mods and tweaks made to date. Also, doing the same thing with the Morrowind/Skywind project would be neat.

The resulting fan-girl arm flail might possibly make me stroke out. It's a risk I'd happily take.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Not a PC gamer

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The Wooster said:
I'm actually all for re-releases provided there's a decent graphical/framerate update.

Also, it's worth noting that while the PS4 release runs at a smooth 60fps, the Xbox One version does not.
The mixed attitudes to re-releases has left me scratching my head, I have seen all kinds of scorn and cynicism aimed at "Tomb Raider: The Fraud Edition" (seriously, I have seen it called that) but then you see people begging for another game like GTA V to get a Xbox One or PS4 release. Some people seem to get worked up if it's at full retail price, to me that's like expecting the PS4 version of Call of Duty 37: Endless Warfare to be cheaper because it was released on the Xbone as well.

Someone else in this thread nailed it, rather than a re-release they should be considered (and marketed as) as ports when its so close to it's original launch date.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I wish more developers used TressFX. I love it. And I'm really impressed with the PS4 version. Solid 60fps with a title as gorgeous as that. I'll buy it once I become a proud owner of a PS4. It's one of those titles that I'd love to have in my gaming library. Hopefully that won't be necessary if they release a PC version. I hate to say it, but it does look better than the PC version we have. I've seen a few gameplay videos.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
I wish more developers used TressFX. I love it. And I'm really impressed with the PS4 version. Solid 60fps with a title as gorgeous as that. I'll buy it once I become a proud owner of a PS4. It's one of those titles that I'd love to have in my gaming library. Hopefully that won't be necessary if they release a PC version. I hate to say it, but it does look better than the PC version we have. I've seen a few gameplay videos.
My PC couldn't handle TressFX. I'm not sure if I want to dish out 450? for a PS4 and Tomb Raider though... a bit much for a digital hair conditioner. ;)

Off topic: Wow, these captchas are getting deep. Captcha in the rye...

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
J Tyran said:
The Wooster said:

The mixed attitudes to re-releases has left me scratching my head, I have seen all kinds of scorn and cynicism aimed at "Tomb Raider: The Fraud Edition" (seriously, I have seen it called that) but then you see people begging for another game like GTA V to get a Xbox One or PS4 release. Some people seem to get worked up if it's at full retail price, to me that's like expecting the PS4 version of Call of Duty 37: Endless Warfare to be cheaper because it was released on the Xbone as well.

Someone else in this thread nailed it, rather than a re-release they should be considered (and marketed as) as ports when its so close to it's original launch date.
They're the ones delivering the expectation. This is not a port, this is a "Definitive Edition," named and positioned as something that everyone - newcomers and previous owners - should buy.

Hence, they deal with the fallout from that.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
OH look a PC version with all the mods (minus the nude ones) installed and repackaged for the new "not midgrade pcs" consoles... Square you never cease to disappoint with how far you will mine an IP.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
I wouldn't have a problem with this, if it went along the same route as the HD collections. I can get two to three games for like 30$ with the HD collection.

Here you're giving me one game, 60$, with some tweaks that don't matter, while it's still very easy to find a copy of Tomb Raider for 30$ or less.
Good point had they simply included two or three of the previous games in the series preferably with updated controls it would of easily be considered a buy.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Hey, it's good the new consoles get this title. It's an awesome game. I'm not getting it (I have it for PC) but for anyone who hasn't played it yet it's easily worth the asking price.
It's not like either console has an abundance of good games at the moment...

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
So are there any graphics upgrades compared to the pc release? And if so, is there any good reason we're not getting those?