Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc's Added Storyline Ditches Murder

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc's Added Storyline Ditches Murder

Danganronpa's "School Life" mode allows the player to explore other characters without the pretense of murder.

Publisher NIS America discussed how it worked on localizing upcoming murder mystery game Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc in a recent interview. The game's script editor also briefly described an additional storyline Spike Chunsoft added to the Vita version.

Trigger Happy Havoc is a rerelease of the original Danganronpa in which students are trapped in a school. Their only means of escape is the murder of another student, but the murderer must also trick the other students into thinking someone else committed the act. The added storyline to Trigger Happy Havoc starts out differently.

"Without giving too much away, School Life mode begins after beating the game for the first time," script editor Phoenix Spaulding said. "You'll have the choice to begin this mode, which explores what might happen if the students were all trapped in the school together but weren't forced to begin killing each other. So this mode will offer a new storyline and new gameplay mode, and on top of that you will be able to hang out with students one-on-one to explore different parts of the school, as well as learn even more about them than you did during the main game."

NIS America avoided a popular fan translation that already exists to ensure the fan translation did not influence the company's own localized script. Spaulding mentioned there are a few minor differences in name spellings. The only specific request Spike Chunsoft gave was to keep the name of Monokuma, the teddy bear antagonist.

A localization of the game's sequel may be on the horizons, depending on how Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is received. "We put a lot of time and resources into this game," Spaulding said, "and if fans respond positively and we see that there's a real audience for this series in the West, we would definitely be open to exploring what else we might be able to bring over."

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc will be available on the Vita on Feb. 11 in North America and Feb. 14 in Europe and Australia.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/24/nis-america-localized-danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I've heard that this game has already made it's money back through preorders. So a sequel would do well as well.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Good to know that they're actually adding in something to make this worth buying. Now if I only had a PSVita...

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
It's nice to hear that they are adding something new to the game. I already know the story from reading the Let's Play on Something Aweful so getting something new to discover will make it a much more worthwhile purchase.

pokeplayer984

Jan 13, 2014
After watching a Let's Play of it, it looks like I have a reason to get the PS Vita now.

Sony, come February, you finally get my money. :)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The best thing about DanganRonpa was the outrage that people had when SomethingAwful.com put up their forum paywall and prevented lurkers who hadn't registered from watching the LP.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I'm really glad that we're getting some bonus content considering how long we've had to wait for a domestic release of this game. Although they've been pretty damn cool about not giving fan translations a hard time, and we've always got those fantastic LP's over on SA. Although honestly I still maintain that SDR2 is the better story, and I reeeeeeeeeeally want that game to come our way too, so I'm begging from the bottom of my despair ridden heart for this game to do well.
Also, I wonder how they're going to Handle Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode, which is slated for release later this year in Japan, should this series take off in the states. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Aw, but the name Monobear has already grown on me...

Oh well, this should be interesting. Is it just giving you the chance to become friends with all of the characters without having that interrupted by them dying, or is the story actually changed?