Legend of Grimrock 2 Reveals New Details and Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Legend of Grimrock 2 Reveals New Details and Screens

Almost Human has revealed new environments, overhauled monster AI and a pile of other additions and enhancements to the upcoming Legend of Grimrock 2.

Legend of Grimrock was pretty fantastic by just about any measure, in part because the foibles of the enemy AI could be accurately described as an authentic recreation of the behavior of monsters in the old-school dungeon crawls that it so lovingly emulates. Sidestepping enemies and then pasting them before they can turn to face you? That's just how it's done, man!

That may not be how it's done in Legend of Grimrock 2, however. In response to criticism that the AI was perhaps a little too easy to manipulate, Almost Human said in a new blog post that it's been completely rewritten to make them smarter and more able to use their numerical advantage in combat by using "group tactics" and calling for help if things go south. There will be 22 new monsters, and a few old, familiar faces will return as well.

The character skill has been redesigned, which we've already Arx Fatalis [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128835-Legend-of-Grimrock-2-Unveils-Shorter-But-Sweeter-Skill-System]. Spellcasting requirements have been relaxed so that mages can be more flexible rather than tied to a single school of magic, and there's also a new playable race and character class, although details on those still haven't been revealed.

[gallery=2048]

Perhaps the most exciting part of the update is the description of the new setting, the secluded Isle of Nex. "An island is a perfect place to setup an unforgettable dungeon crawling experience because we can mix indoor and outdoor locations seamlessly while still maintaining that atmosphere of mystery and danger, and the density of interesting things that is at the heart of Grimrock," the update says. "If you think about it, the island is the perfect microcosm, where the party may explore dark woods, misty swamps, underground tunnels and ancient ruins without need to travel great distances. For us, an island is the perfect 'dungeon' with a welcome variety of different types of environments."

Alas, one big thing that wasn't announced was a release date, although Legend of Grimrock 2 is currently expected to be out later this year.

Source: Legend of Grimrock [http://www.grimrock.net/2014/01/27/new-screenshots-and-a-list-of-features/]

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
LoG1 seemed to assume that the party would sidestep, because taking the monsters head-on was suicidal on normal difficulty for all but the most optimized builds. I'm not sure that improving the AI's ability to also manipulate the underlying system is the right response. But then again, modifying the underlying system may simply not be an option for them...

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Any change to that magic system is welcome because hammering in those combinations for every single spell was just atrocious.
The main reason for you not to have 4 magic users is the atrocious gui and if that is their way of "balancing" things, how about balancing the magic instead?
Less clicking would be very welcome.
Hotkeys for attacks too to get away from that desktop icon clicky gameplay that has no place in anything real time.
Even lands of lore 1 had hotkeys.

I don't know if mouse gestures are the way to go though.
That just seems like another form of unnecessary realtime micro management and why have gestures if you can't even use 90% of them anyway.

That's like quick time events. Just don't.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I am happy to hear this is coming out. Enjoying Might and Magic 10 in the mean time and I bet we only got that because of the first Grimrock. So either way thank you Almost Human!

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I have yet to play Legends of Grimrock and I had on my steam game list for quite a while. I probably should change that but I have limited time to play games at this point. well time to stop procrastinating and get back to homework.

edit
I continued procrastinating... I am an idiot