League of Legends Daily Audience Doubled in 2013

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
League of Legends Daily Audience Doubled in 2013

According to Riot Games, more than 27 million people played League of Legends on a daily basis in 2013.

If you're a PC gamer there's a fairly good chance that you might have tried League of Legends at some point over the past year. In fact, there's a halfway decent shot that that initial trial was enough to get you just as hooked as the millions of other players who consistently return to the game for their regular dose of MOBA fun.

We say this because, according to reports from Riot Games, 2013 was apparently a banner year for League of Legends. Most notably, the studio reported that the game's daily player count rose to a whopping 27 million per day. That, of course, is more than double the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120102-Riot-Claims-League-of-Legends-Is-the-Most-Played-Video-Game>12 million daily players it was reporting back in 2012. The company also revealed that its peak concurrent player counts have also risen, with more than 7.5 million people playing simultaneously during its busiest times of the day. That's a 50 percent increase from the figures it reported the year before.

While League of Legends' free-to-play nature can likely be counted as one of the driving factors behind its increasing player base, it's nonetheless impressive that so many gamers keep coming back to it. Not unexpectedly, its rising popularity is also leading to an increase in its profits. The game earned around $624 million in 2013, making Riot Games easily one of the enviable entities in the industry at the moment.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not surprised. It's not a bad game. I quit because I couldn't get a server that someone didn't go AFK or suffer from connection issues, it was quite annoying. I'm checking out the Infinite Crisis beta now. I like that one simply for the superheroes. Other than that it's not bad though. Dota 2 is a fine enough game, but it tends to be more complex than I care for a game to be. Some people like that, others such as myself, not so much.