Rovio Says It Does Not Share Angry Birds User Data With NSA, GCHQ

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Rovio Says It Does Not Share Angry Birds User Data With NSA, GCHQ

Following speculation that the NSA collected user data through Angry Birds, Rovio stated its fans' trust is most important.

Yesterday ProPublica, with the New York Times and The Guardian, reported spy agencies such as the NSA and Britain's GCHQ seize data upon start-up of many game applications like Angry Birds [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131721-Spy-Agencies-Reportedly-Probe-Angry-Birds-and-Other-Phone-Apps-for-User-Data]. Rovio denied spy agencies have collecting data from its apps.

Rovio issued a press statement today, stating it "does not share data, collaborate or collude with any government spy agencies such as NSA or GCHQ anywhere in the world." Rovio noted "the alleged surveillance may be conducted through third party advertising networks." The company added it does not allow third party networks to use or hand over personal user data from Rovio's apps.

The NSA and GCHQ collect information from Google Maps frequently, but a report also revealed it collects data from Rovio's Angry Birds. A 2012 British report included the code needed for accessing data from profiles generated when Android users play Angry Birds. Rovio has stated it may collect user data, but it abides by "some restrictions," such as not knowingly collecting information about users under 13 years old.

"Our fans' trust is the most important thing for us and we take privacy extremely seriously," Rovio CEO Mikael Hed said. "As the alleged surveillance might be happening through third party advertising networks, the most important conversation to be had is how to ensure user privacy is protected while preventing the negative impact on the whole advertising industry and the countless mobile apps that rely on ad networks. In order to protect our end users, we will, like all other companies using third party advertising networks, have to reevaluate working with these networks if they are being used for spying purposes."

Source: Rovio [http://www.rovio.com/en/news/press-releases/450/rovio-does-not-provide-end-user-data-to-government-surveillance-agencies/]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I already don't like Angry Birds. I imagine I would like it less if any of this were true, and the real fans would be rather angry as well.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Rovio doesn't /need/ to actively share data with the NSA. All the NSA needs is for their games to request every single unnecessary access privilege in the book and serve up ads.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I actually believe their telling the truth. I don't think a Finnish company would have much incentive r legal obligation to abide by security agencies outside their own country.

However, that doesn't mean Apple , Microsoft, and Google aren't giving the NSA the VIP treatment in accessing their operating systems, mobile or otherwise.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
and i dont share any data with angry birds.
thought seriuosly why do you need so many pribviledges? why do you need acess to google maps (which are intentionally broke n on my phone just so those shitty programs couldnt use it) to paly a game? i think android apps need to be forced to provide detailed information why each single permission is needed.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
They don't really need to share data with the NSA for the NSA to get that data.

All they need to do is to send that data with no encryption or weak encryption over part of the internet backbone that's being tapped by said intelligence agencies and they'll have it.