The Elder Scrolls Online On PS4 Will Not Require PlayStation Plus

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Elder Scrolls Online On PS4 Will Not Require PlayStation Plus

The PlayStation 4 version of The Elder Scrolls Online won't cost any extra to play, but the same can't be said about the Xbox One edition.

PC users have always had it easy: We just pick up the phone, dial the number, place the handset into the acoustic coupler and boom, we're online and free to do whatever we want. Console gamers, on the other hand, have to pay extra for many connected features through subscriptions to services like PlayStation Plus, which costs about $50 a year.

Sony confirmed today that no extra fees will be required to play The Elder Scrolls Online on the PS4, however. "A PlayStation Plus membership is not required to play The Elder Scrolls Online," Sony wrote in a new FAQ. "PS4 players will only be required to pay the same monthly subscription associated with The Elder Scrolls Online that PC and Mac users will pay - nothing more."

Other bits of note: There will be separate "megaservers" for North America and Europe, PS4 servers will be separate from PC servers and... well, that's about it, really. There are questions about how the game will incorporate an action bar on a console platform, how the touchpad will be incorporated and how much space the game will take up on the hard drive, but those are all dodged with vague, "we're still working on it" responses.

Bethesda confirmed separately that the Xbox One version of The Elder Scrolls Online will require an Xbox Live Gold membership, which also runs about $50 per year.

The Elder Scrolls Online launches on the PC and Mac on April 4 and then later this year for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and will carry a $14.99 monthly subscription fee.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/28/the-elder-scrolls-online-on-ps4-your-questions-answered/]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I don't know how long Microsoft can keep dragging their feet with f2p. They've gotten all of one major player on board, and WG.net has loudly complained about gold being required. Their competition have all accommodated the business plan, whether it's mobile, Sony, or the people that crushed GFWL into dust and laughed at the remains.

Apr 28, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Maybe my memory is failing m but didn't Sony outright state that the only multiplayer games that will require PS+ are the ones that will use Sony servers?
They said that F2P and MMO's won't require PS+. Any other multiplayer game will, though. Even Sony games.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Irridium said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Maybe my memory is failing m but didn't Sony outright state that the only multiplayer games that will require PS+ are the ones that will use Sony servers?
They said that F2P and MMO's won't require PS+. Any other multiplayer game will, though. Even Sony games.
Which is really a common sense approach, since free games should be, well, free and one would be less inclined to play a subscription-based MMO if they in fact had to pay $20 rather than $15. Meanwhile, over at M$, they charge you for games that otherwise would be free, etc etc. What I'm saying is paying $5 a month for the privilege of playing online when we're already paying for the bandwidth is kinda dumb.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Paying extra for online is a deal breaker for me. Strong reason to stay PC

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I was looking over the comments... and it looks like people may have misread the article. It states that you DO NOT need to be a PS+ membership to play TOS:Online. Which is in line with what they originally said which is that if it's not hosted by a Sony owned server, then there will never be a PS+ requirement. Meaning that you also don't need it for things like Netflix, unlike with Xbox One, which requires a gold membership to do anything at all.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Baresark said:
I was looking over the comments... and it looks like people may have misread the article. It states that you DO NOT need to be a PS+ membership to play TOS:Online. Which is in line with what they originally said which is that if it's not hosted by a Sony owned server, then there will never be a PS+ requirement. Meaning that you also don't need it for things like Netflix, unlike with Xbox One, which requires a gold membership to do anything at all.
Shhhh....don't interrupt a member of the Master Race when they see an opportunity to be That Guy.

Even if the opportunity isn't really there.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Now I can laugh at my buddy at work for picking the Xbone over the PS4. He said to me the possible double subscription thing is a deal breaker for him, so he won't be partaking in TES Online (doesn't have a gaming PC either).

It sucks that cross platform play will still not be a thing too. I think for co op play it's actually well worth implementing, although competitive multiplayer would be a bit sketchy due to certain advantages players might have.

Man I'd love to be able to play cross platform co op with my buddies.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Dendio said:
TES Online, War Thunder etc don't require to pay extra online. PS+ is only required for 'normal' console games like Call of Duty and Battlefield because those games are now hosted by Sony on their servers rather than the publishers. Apparently last gen Sony got sick of publishers using cheap/low level servers and the PS3 getting a bad rep for bad multiplayer performance vs xbox which used Microsoft servers so they've stepped up and taken it over. Games like MMO's that use their own servers do not require you to pay Sony to use (unlike Microsoft which charges you to use anything on the net because of greed)

Jan 10, 2013
Lost In The Void said:
Dendio said:
....but you don't
People are talking about the XBone version, not the PS4 version. The former does indeed require a Xbox Live Gold subscription. One would think that to be self-explanatory in the context of the OP.