Metal Slug 3 Releases on Steam in February

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Metal Slug 3 Releases on Steam in February

SNK's classic side-scroller is coming to Steam next month.

Steam has a habit of casually dropping games on us with little-to-no fanfare, but occasionally it drops a game so awesome that it would be a crime to not promote it. This time that game is SNK's classic side-scrolling shooter Metal Slug 3, which recently appeared on the platform with a release date of February, 2014.

From the product description:
"Metal Slug 3, the masterpiece in SNK's emblematic 2D run & gun action shooting game series, still continues to fascinate millions of fans worldwide to this day for its intricate dot-pixel graphics, and simple and intuitive game controls! The most highly praised title in the series among Metal Slug fans for its refined balance and game volume, heads out to the Steam gaming platform!"

The game will feature the original "arcade mode" of arcade game, but will also have a "mission mode" where players can choose individual missions to play, rather than having to start from the start. The game will have full co-op, both local and online, as well as online leaderboards and controller support.

It's unknown why SNK decided to start from Metal Slug 3, or whether it plans to bring the other games in the Metal Slug series to the platform, but for now lets just bask in the awesomeness that is Metal Slug 3 on Steam!

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/250180/]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds cool. Glad to see more Japanese developed games hit Steam. How I wish Sega would just release a PC version of Shenmue 1&2.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I only hope they add full directional shooting like the arcades had instead of limiting it to the cardinal directions like they did with the home ports.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
The only way I can truly enjoy this soul crushing game is to spend quarters, so I'm going to duct tape a piggy back next to my monitor in order to simulate the anguish of early pay-to-pay goodness.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
I don't remember the ostrich segment...

Still, this will be awesome.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I liked 1 & 2 better, as it seemed to me that 3 and onwards both solved and created a problem that made the gameplay worse. See, 1 and 2 had a bit of trouble with processing the game when a lot of sprites and projectiles were on the screen, and as a result the game's framerate would slow down (this was an era when frame skip didn't exist yet and processors weren't built to allow it). But it ended up being an advantage as it worked as a sort of "bullet time", giving the player extra time to be precise with the character's movement.

MS3 fixed this, and as a consequence made the game feel more hectic and frustrating than what fun would allow for many. (Then again the series probably started to stagnate at that point, too.) And since then, I don't think there's been a good Metal Slug that's come out...

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
If this release means the first two Metal Slug games are not far behind, I may be going back on my "finish current gaming backlog before buying new games" resolution sooner than I thought.

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
That's really great news! So far I did not play much games from this series, but I heard a lot of good stuff about it :)

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Good news had I not discovered Anthology was available on the Vita, and XX given away through PS+.

Localize MS2006 and I'd be more excited.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Oh Metal Slug, your arcade cabinet has charmed multitudes of quarters over the years from my change pocket. And dollar bills fed into various change/token machines... and 5's and 10's... And now one final payment on Steam... Damn you.