Microsoft Studios Boss Claims New IP Is Critical, Big Unannounced Games Brewing

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Microsoft Studios Boss Claims New IP Is Critical, Big Unannounced Games Brewing

Microsoft Studios chief Phil Spencer says new IP is critical and revealed that new games with the same "scale" as Halo is being developed.

With this week's claims "new IP is critical" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131680-Microsoft-Acquires-Gears-of-War] and that he likes the new franchises the publisher has invested in so far.

New IP is critical. Launch of XB1 to now and I like the new IP we invested in: Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Max, Loco with SO, QB coming

In another exchange, Spencer teases that we'll hopefully see "IP magic" [https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/428342111692267521] like those we've seen from the first Halo and Gears of War.

As you see more of Quantum Break, @SunsetOverdrive and unannounced hopefully you'll see new IP magic again.

Another fan mentioned that the Xbox 360 had Fable, Halo, Gears of War and Forza as its flagship franchises, and asked if there's a "big one" coming in the future, to which Spencer states they have games in development with the same scale as those titles [https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/428350834682777600].

I always hope everything we ship turns big of course. We have games in development with same scale and potential as those.

While Microsoft developing unannounced games is not shocking news, it's comforting to know that it's not just banking on its existing library and willing to create new franchises of their own.

Source: OXM [https://twitter.com/XboxP3]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
As long as it doesnt try to be the next COD, cool (and judging from what we know of Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive and the other new IPs that they already released I guess it wont as that place is already taken by TitanFall so good on them)

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
Don´t actually tell costomers WHAT you are working on because that would be stupid right. Just say IT´S SOMETHING REALLY AWESOME BETTER BY A CONSOLE NOW!!!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I'll believe it when I see it. So what do people think? Multiplayer shooter in the first or third person set in the future.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ah yes, despite the fact there has been new IP announced (and released), people are complaining about new IP.

Never change, internet.

[sub]Although Phil Spencer should also learn that Max is not a new IP, there was a game before that.[/sub]

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
luvd1 said:
I'll believe it when I see it. So what do people think? Multiplayer shooter in the first or third person set in the future.
Probably near future and probably something with virusses and or Zombies. Unless it's some storydriven thing where you talk in the phone while walking slowly and sometimes while shooting stuff. Or maybe it's something cool, who knows. I doubt it, considering what can usually be expected from big publishers, but it has happened before on a rare occasion.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Alex Co said:
Microsoft Studios chief Phi Spencer says new IP is critical and revealed that new games with the same "scale" as Halo is being developed.
Just a heads up on the typo there, Alex.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of stuff they come with. I'm always happy to see something new.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Yeah my first reaction was "oh it's going to be more modern military/near future/post apocalyptic first person/third person shooters right?"

But hey, maybe they'll surprise us. Trying to stay positive here.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
SL33TBL1ND said:
Alex Co said:
Microsoft Studios chief Phi Spencer says new IP is critical and revealed that new games with the same "scale" as Halo is being developed.
Just a heads up on the typo there, Alex.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of stuff they come with. I'm always happy to see something new.
Dammnit! Thanks!
luvd1 said:
I really, really hope whatever IP MS is cooking, it won't be a shooter. I mean, OK, it can have shooter elements but not all-out action. We already have that in spades with Gears, Halo...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well they didn't actually say they have new IP's coming, just that they are critical...
What they did say is that they have the same "scale" of games coming, i.e. sequels for Halo, Gears, Kinectamals(this one was actually the top sell for Xbox 360).

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
Yeah my first reaction was "oh it's going to be more modern military/near future/post apocalyptic first person/third person shooters right?"

But hey, maybe they'll surprise us. Trying to stay positive here.
I also thought about that but they already have Titanfall to try to be the next COD/flavor of the generation thing and their other new IPs are rather different so yeah, there is some hope for something cool

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Totally true, games sell consoles though you need the huge game like Halo or whatever to do it. Look at the PS2, had some amazing games you could only by on that console, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, GTA, Silent Hill etc

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Totally true, games sell consoles though you need the huge game like Halo or whatever to do it. Look at the PS2, had some amazing games you could only by on that console, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, GTA, Silent Hill etc
Umm... Resident Evil, GTA, and Silent Hill were all multi-platform series.