Nintendo's Top Priority is to "Enrich The Value" of Wii U Gamepad

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo's Top Priority is to "Enrich The Value" of Wii U Gamepad

Nintendo aims to fix the gamepad by bringing DS games to the Virtual Console, and making more games that utilize it better.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said in his corporate management policy briefing [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/index.html] that Nintendo has not been able to properly communicate the Wii U gamepad's full value. He says that the company's top prior is to enrich the value of the gamepad, by focusing on titles that are only made possible because of the gamepad, allowing users to play original DS games on it via the Virtual Console, and better utilizing some of its lesser-known features, such as its Near-Field Communication (NFC) capabilities.

"We have not been able to fully communicate the value of the gamepad. We also realize that we have not been successful in answering consumers' questions such as, 'What is the difference between Wii U and the previous platform, Wii, and what is the benefit of upgrading it?'"

Iwata specifically mentioned that making gamepad-heavy games "will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto's software development department this year." Can the man who brought us Mario, Zelda and Pikmin pull another rabbit out of his hat?

To elaborate on NFC, Iwata says that the Wii U is the only console with NFC capabilities, and that only one game, Pokemon Rumble U, has used it to any real effect, and multiple proposals, including the implementation of NFC payments with Japan's "Suica" card, will be detailed soon.

He also said that the company will enrich the gamepad's "off-tv play" functionality by implementing a "quick start" menu for it in an upcoming update. The quick start menu will allow gamers to load one of the software titles they have recently played without being routed to the console's main menu.

"We are now sure that we can solve the technical problem of displaying Virtual Console software from Nintendo DS on the gamepad," confirmed Iwata, announcing that titles from the DS library will begin to appear in the future Virtual Console lineup for Wii U. Hopefully, this "technical problem" fix also means that players will soon be able to actually use the gamepad's buttons to play original Wii games.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/index.html]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I would love more features. I think its a clever thing but horribly under-utilized. What I would like the most though, is a dimmer ability. I find the bright screen in my peripheral vision very distracting and a bit irritating to my eyes while I'm trying to focus on the game on screen. I tend play games with a blanket covering my hands to deal with it. Not really a good solution.

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
FoolKiller said:
What I would like the most though, is a dimmer ability. I find the bright screen in my peripheral vision very distracting and a bit irritating to my eyes while I'm trying to focus on the game on screen. I tend play games with a blanket covering my hands to deal with it. Not really a good solution.
There is actually already a way to do that to do that in the Controller-settings in the HOME-menu. I imagine that it makes the controller go a bit easier on the battery as well.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This sounds good!

Getting old DS games to the WiiU (maybe Pokemon, some older Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon...)

I already lke the gamepad, the way it's a quick inventory in some games, a bigger minimap in others, and extra macro button(s) for special moves in some games, a sniper rifle aim in Splinter Cell..
Just using it more would be awesome, as long as they don't try to cram it too full with stuff, we still have all the buttons to use also. Don't make it too complicated :p

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Hhmmmm nope. Still don't care.

I like that they're bringing back some classic games (and I wish they would do all of them from all their generations) but doesn't this controller run out of juice quickly? It would have been interesting if they found a way to make the main game pad also a game boy you could charge anywhere.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
Yes Nintenderp, double down on the horrible expensive gimmick that's part of why no one wants your miserable weak console.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Sigh...this sounds like them ramming a useless gimmick down our throats. Now, if they can implement it better than XBONE implemented Kinect, then that is fine.

On the other hand, I am excited at the prospect of playing DS (and hopefully 3DS, make it happen Ninty!!) games on the Wii-U...but ONLY if I can get TV feed as well.

As I have said before, Wii-U is a goldmine opportunity for developers who fear "HD budgets," especially JRPG manufacturers. As of yet, they have not tapped this potential, and it saddens me.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
DS games on the WiiU Pad sounds really nice, except for me still having my DS and not having the WiiU. I just can't see a benefit in dividing a game between two screens that are completely separated.

Captcha: Do not touch... Well, that's funny.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Um Nintendo, shouldn't your top priority be the console and not the controller that comes with the console. One of the major problems you have right now is that the few ads you had for the Wii U showed off the controller more than the actual console itself, so people thought the Wii U was the actual GamePad itself. Controllers don't make the console, it's the games and software that do.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Nintendo, please put down the stick and back slowly away from the horse carcass.

It's over. The tablet as controller gimmick has been an abject failure. The off-TV thing is a waste of time; the people who buy consoles do so to use them on their big screen and if they want a tablet to game on they'll buy a proper tablet.

Your unique selling point is not selling - not to consumers, not to third party developers. It's done. Nice try, but it's failed. Move on.