PS Vita Slim Dated and Priced for UK, No Word on North America

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PS Vita Slim Dated and Priced for UK, No Word on North America

Sony confirmed the arrival of the PS Vita Slim in the UK at today's press conference.

Previously available only in Japan, the PS Vita 2000 model, often dubbed the PS Vita Slim, will launch in the UK on Feb. 7th for £180, a Sony press conference confirmed this morning. UK retailer ShopTo leaked the information yesterday in an email to customers, alerting people of the slim model opening to preorders today.

The press event was announced a week ago as Sony sent out invites to members of the press for the PlayStation's "slimmest" launch. Sony has not announced a release date for North America yet.

Sony also announced the Indie Game Mega Pack. Games included are Alien Breed, Thomas Was Alone, Velocity Ultra, Men's Room Mayhem, Coconut Dodge Revitalized, Limbo, Hotline Miami, Total Recoil, Superfrog HD, and Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims. A bundle including the Vita handheld and the game pack will cost €199.99. The Indie Game Mega Pack with a 4 GB memory card and a PlayStation Store voucher to download the 10 games is priced at €24.99. The pack will release in February.

The changes from the original Vita model to the slimmer model are largely cosmetic. The PCH-2000 is lighter, thinner, has edges that are more curved, and a LCD screen replaces the OLED screen. The battery life is said to offer another hour to last to six hours, and the 2000 model also has a built-in 1 GB memory card.

The slim Vita was available in many colors in Japan, but it will be available only in black in the UK. Sony also intends to faze out the first Vita model in the UK and will not replenish its stock as the slim model will replace it.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447430/ps-vita-slim-confirmed-dated-and-priced-for-uk-release/]

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Well, this pretty much all but guarantees it will make it to the US, since there's very little reason to sell it to PAL regions and not to us. That indie mega pack is pretty sweet too. I'd consider getting it myself if I didn't already own around half of those titles already.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Thing is though, if you put a memory card into your Vita then the 1GB of internal memory will become unusable ( it will offer to copy data over ).

So, if you are a person who plans on buying games on the store or to make use of the Playstation Plus instant game collection, then the 1GB of internal memory suddenly becomes moot, because you are going to need a bigger memory card anyway.

The only merit to this model, for me, would be the Micro USB port, but that is purely a convenience thing as replacing a USB cable is easier than replacing a proprietary Vita cable.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I was going to buy a Vita, but I held off until this event to see if the 2000 could intice me instead. I'm disappointed to say the least, that price point is far too high.

At my local GAME at the moment you can get a 1000 (with the OLED screen) with Tearaway, LBP and a 16GB memory card for £155.

Sony should have priced it at about £120, that's far more reasonable and it can actually compete with the 3DS/2DS.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
I'm willing to bet NA will get the announcement when shop opens up on the west coast.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Oh Sony, why?

You're never going to compete at that kind of price range.
I was thinking that too, their top memory cards are still expensive in GAME and wanting to have the bigger memory card here feels like the norm but at the same time doesn't really justify, I want that new slim model, but I've already burnt out a load of dosh last year on getting a nice crystal white 3DS (first time 3DS buyer) along with Pokemon Y, Animal Crossing new leaf and Fire Emblem.

With it being £180 along with what I'm looking at £40 on top for their 33gb card that's a total of £220 and that's without the games I'd want, although I'd really fancy the idea of getting to play Resident Evil's 1-3 and the Silent Hill series on the device.

I'm guessing we'll wait and see if Sony figures to do something else in terms of a price drop because £180 wasn't that far off from when I bought my 3DS alone.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Hm, I thought they were replacing the OLED screen with LCD to be able to drop the price. Which they didn't. And holy shit is the OLED screen pretty.

I usually feel fucked over when I buy a piece of hardware only to find out a new, better model has been announced. But I actually kind of prefer my old Vita to this one.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
Nice. It's about time UK gamers got some hardware before our US counterparts. It should be that way more often tbh.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
Hm, I thought they were replacing the OLED screen with LCD to be able to drop the price. Which they didn't. And holy shit is the OLED screen pretty.

I usually feel fucked over when I buy a piece of hardware only to find out a new, better model has been announced. But I actually kind of prefer my old Vita to this one.
I had just bought the older ps vita when they announced the new slim version (orderd online and hasn't arrived yet) so I feel a little angry, but I got my vita for over £50 cheaper. I was really on the fence about buying the vita as I have a 3ds already and consoles are a lot of money. My concerns are that when researching the OLED screen "burnout" was mentioned. Now I have never had a problem with LCD screens but I don't want to have to replace my vita in a year or so because the screen is busted. My other concern is the weight of the console, especially as I could only get the 3g version which was supposed to be heavier.
Overall I think the new vita looks better except the screen seam. I don't get why that's there as it wasn't there on the original psp.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Limie said:
Johny_X2 said:

I had just bought the older ps vita when they announced the new slim version (orderd online and hasn't arrived yet) so I feel a little angry, but I got my vita for over £50 cheaper. I was really on the fence about buying the vita as I have a 3ds already and consoles are a lot of money. My concerns are that when researching the OLED screen "burnout" was mentioned. Now I have never had a problem with LCD screens but I don't want to have to replace my vita in a year or so because the screen is busted. My other concern is the weight of the console, especially as I could only get the 3g version which was supposed to be heavier.
Overall I think the new vita looks better except the screen seam. I don't get why that's there as it wasn't there on the original psp.
The weight isn't really a cause for concern, it's definitely not what I'd call 'heavy'. It managed to hit the sweet spot when your arms don't get tired out when playing but at the same time it feels sturdy and well-built thanks to the extra couple grams.

I haven't really heard anything about the screen issues before, you've actually made me a bit worried there. I've had thething for a year now though and haven't really experienced any problems so far. And the screen is just gorgeous. Just wait and you'll see.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
The weight isn't really a cause for concern, it's definitely not what I'd call 'heavy'. It managed to hit the sweet spot when your arms don't get tired out when playing but at the same time it feels sturdy and well-built thanks to the extra couple grams.

I haven't really heard anything about the screen issues before, you've actually made me a bit worried there. I've had thething for a year now though and haven't really experienced any problems so far. And the screen is just gorgeous. Just wait and you'll see.
I know I'm really excited!!! I am a big portable gamer as console and I adore my original psp and still use it now.
I managed to find a display vita in a local game store and it is as light as a feather compared to my original psp. So buying either vita over weight seems to me like a moot point.
Ironically none of the my local game stores including this one sell games for the vita and people wonder why people buy from internet seller over stores.
I really hope the vita takes off and they make some more original games for it. *Fingers crossed for God Eater Burst 2*!!
Edit: I am not sure about the screen issues, it just came up in passing when comparing the OLED and LCD screens

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Price is way too high for such a pittance of internal memory.
Sony, we both know flash RAM is dirt cheap. Stop trying to gouge your customers so hard for a quick buck and lower the cost of entry.