8 Vietnam War Movies From Most to Least Violent

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Vietnam War Movies From Most to Least Violent

Today we look back at some of the best films to take place during the Vietnam War, though not technically a war and more of a police action. So sit back and remember to stay awake, it's your watch.

Read Full Article

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Good Ol' Apocalypse Now.

Still is one of the most striking movies I have seen in a while, but I love a lot of the media derived from Heart of Darkness.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Might have wanted to include Full Metal Jacket and Platoon in there.
Much more memorable and meaningful than some of the others in there.
I do agree with Good Morning Vietnam. That was a fine movie.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
The Deer Hunter left an impact like none other...

A week after I watched it for the first time, a very good friend of mine committed suicide. After I learned about it, and though of The Deer Hunter, the ending only left more of an impact than ever. It really is a masterpiece, and one of my favourite films of all time. It made me feel empty inside, and depressed for the rest of the day... but I don't regret watching it, not even for a second.

I have never been in war, so I can't possibly understand how horrible it must be, but the effect of The Deer Hunter still remains. Despite the long running time, I recommend it to anyone who loves film. A true dedication to friendship, courage and the horrors/effects of a nightmare.

Other Vietnam films like Platoon and Apocalypse Now are also fantastic, but The Deer Hunter truly left me in tears.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What about Tunnel Rats, good movie based on soldiers that were trained to fight in the tunnels. Ok, its a Uwe Boll movie, but seriously its really good and shows a different side to that war.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Well, I knew Platoon wouldn't be in the list when Apocalypse Now was the most violent. A shame really as the duality of Elias/Barnes is a great fulcrum for the movie. It is easy to see why Willem Dafoe was cast as Jesus after seeing Platoon.

For those playing at home seek out The Odd Angry Shot, though it is Australian I have been told by a couple of US veterans that it is the most accurate depiction of the Vietnam Conflict ever made.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The mMen who stare at Goats doesn't strike me as a Vietnam War Movie. The first portion of the movie has a flashback that is in the War, but it's mostly modern day.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
A list of Vietnam war movies that doesn't include Platoon? Shocking!

The one that surprised me the most was The Quiet American sitting there in the middle - you usually see that (and the remake) written up as a colonial story rather than a war one, although I suppose that distinction is a weak one.

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
Bittersteel said:
What the hell? Why is the man who stares at goat there? Only around 2 min is in Vietnam.Why ain't We were Soldiers there, Platoon, Full Metal jacket etc? This is an awful list.
This list is from Scooby Davenport, the person who gives us "8 clip art images that feature the color red" as news. He googles for 8 stock photos/production stills and writes at most a sentence about them. Don't be surprised at errors like that, just be glad it didn't feature stills from the lost season of Alf.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
What? no Operation Dumbo Drop? That's gotta be the least violent Vietnam movie ever and that was made by DISNEY.
Well, i guess the one elephant getting shot(off screen) was violent, but i digress.