List of Games Included In PlayStation Now Beta Leaks Out

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
List of Games Included In PlayStation Now Beta Leaks Out

The full list of first and third-party games in PlayStation Now's ongoing beta has been leaked, and you might be surprised at the games included.

Earlier this week, we reported that beta invites for Sony's PlayStation Now streaming service [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131766-PlayStation-Now-Beta-Invites-Are-Now-Being-Sent-Out] were being sent out. Now, it seems one beta user has leaked the entire list of games available on the service for beta participants, which you can see below.

First Party:

Killzone 3
Puppeteer
Shadow of the Colossus

Third Party:

Papo & Yo
Darksiders II
MX vs. ATV: Alive
Disgaea 4
Ninja Gaiden 3
Shatter

Announced at this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) during Sony's keynote, PlayStation Now is a streaming service that will make older PlayStation titles playable on PlayStation consoles, tablets, smartphones, TVs and even non-Sony branded devices in the future. However, it's been rumored that PlayStation Now might exclude PS1 and PS2 games in its lineup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131754-PlayStation-Now-May-Exclude-PS1-PS2-Games-PS4-To-Get-Emulators], but it's also speculated that Sony will add an emulator to the PS4 that will allow gamers to play disc-based and digital PS1 and PS2 games on the next-gen console.

It might just be me, but the third-party choices are a little odd, but at least Sony has covered every genre, from the looks of it. If you're part of the beta, can you talk about the experience or is there an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) tied to it? And if you can, how strict is that 5mbps requirement Sony mentioned? Hopefully, Sony rolls this out worldwide soon so I can finally clear some space and put my PS3 to rest.

Source: GearNuke [http://gearnuke.com/list-games-available-playstation-now-beta-leaked/]

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
What I desperately want to know is if it will run on PC. I don't have a smartphone or tablet, just a laptop and some game consoles.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
So it's possible that Playstation 4 might actually give backwards compatibility?

I'll be hoping so, 'cause if Sony does this, it would become the smartest move Sony made since announcing specifically that they weren't gonna use any of the now-removed DRM policies that Microsoft tried to pull with Xbox One.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
RelexCryo said:
What I desperately want to know is if it will run on PC. I don't have a smartphone or tablet, just a laptop and some game consoles.
I wouldn't think Sony would have it that way, I mean after all if you could do it on PC, then PC players wouldn't have to buy a Playstation product but instead have easy access to their exclusives, I don't see Sony allowing people to do that so easily, even if they did there would be a specific catch in place to make sure you don't get off with playing their exclusives so easily.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This isn't a bad selection for the Beta. Have they given details on how the Playstation Now service will work? Is it a subscription based service? Is it similar to Netflix or Hulu? Part of PS+? Do you purchase the individual games or pay a monthly fee for unlimited access?

Misterian said:
So it's possible that Playstation 4 might actually give backwards compatibility?

I'll be hoping so, 'cause if Sony does this, it would become the smartest move Sony made since announcing specifically that they weren't gonna use any of the now-removed DRM policies that Microsoft tried to pull with Xbox One.
Most likely it will allow the PS4 to play games on the PStore listed under the classics. Honestly, I am kinda surprised that it seems that the PS4 can't play those at the moment. Not sure if the PS4 will be able to play PS1 or PS2 discs. The Slim PS3 can play PS1 discs, but not PS2 discs. Think it can play PS2 Classics from off the store, though. Haven't tested that.

RelexCryo said:
It's possible. I doubt PS4 games will be available, though. If not now, perhaps a later version will work on PC. They still have to make sure it can actually work properly.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
RelexCryo said:
I wouldn't think Sony would have it that way, I mean after all if you could do it on PC, then PC players wouldn't have to buy a Playstation product but instead have easy access to their exclusives, I don't see Sony allowing people to do that so easily, even if they did there would be a specific catch in place to make sure you don't get off with playing their exclusives so easily.
I was just hoping for ps1/ps2 games. I would be fine with not having ps3 or ps4 games.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Misterian said:

I may be wrong, but there was an article on the Escapist (news or rumor? Don't remember) about Sony basically "patching-in" emulators for PS1 and PS2 in future updates for PS4.

EDIT: Hold your horses, here it is:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131754-PlayStation-Now-May-Exclude-PS1-PS2-Games-PS4-To-Get-Emulators

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Shadow-Phoenix said:
RelexCryo said:
Yes, Sony as a company definitely want to stop people giving them money.

The heck are you talking about? Its already been confirmed for competitors smartphones and tablets, what makes you think they'd stop it coming to PC?

Sony lose money on hardware (not much, but some) so there is nothing more they'd like to do than get someone into a position where they are paying Sony for games, but Sony don't have to build a machine for them to play through.
Saltyk said:
This isn't a bad selection for the Beta. Have they given details on how the Playstation Now service will work? Is it a subscription based service? Is it similar to Netflix or Hulu? Part of PS+? Do you purchase the individual games or pay a monthly fee for unlimited access?
Its been announced for the latter two - you can rent individual games, or just have a subscription running to play what you want.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Mister K said:
Misterian said:

I may be wrong, but there was an article on the Escapist (news or rumor? Don't remember) about Sony basically "patching-in" emulators for PS1 and PS2 in future updates for PS4.

EDIT: Hold your horses, here it is:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131754-PlayStation-Now-May-Exclude-PS1-PS2-Games-PS4-To-Get-Emulators
It's also hyperlinked in the actual post, too. ;) I normally make it a point that relevant parts of a story is hyperlinked to another story so no one gets lost or needs to go to Google for the info. =)

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
If Sony adds the ability to play PS 1-3 games on the PS4 I will happily get one. I still have my PS3 as it's my Blu-Ray player as well, but if I can finally get my hands on some old titles they never added to the PSN store, as well as current gen games, then I'd consider the upgrade worth it.

This is the first thing I have heard about the new generation that has caught my interest.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Hmm why Ninja Gaiden 3 and not the far superior Razors Edge? Aside from that it looks promising, nice to see some fairly obscure games in there.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Misterian said:
if you think game streaking service like On-Live is backward compatibility - yes.
Otherwise - not possible unless you add 200 dollars worth of hardware to the box.

oh and yeah they plan to put an emulator on it (the kind you can already use on PC - but thats technically illegal) to play PS1 and PS2 games.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
they woudl be shootign themselves in the foot by not allowing it though.
as far as i understand it can run on android. this means it can be hacked into running on PC, so they would still have to do that but loose control over it.

Legion said:
If Sony adds the ability to play PS 1-3 games on the PS4 I will happily get one. I still have my PS3 as it's my Blu-Ray player as well, but if I can finally get my hands on some old titles they never added to the PSN store, as well as current gen games, then I'd consider the upgrade worth it.

This is the first thing I have heard about the new generation that has caught my interest.
PS 1 and 2 can be emulated. PS3 cant (well, it can but no processor fast enough exists nor there is a program written for it). so your going to be stuck with streaming PS3 games either way.
the question is, does PS4s blueray device read CDs? because lately BR drives been dropping the CD laser as "obsolete" to significantly reduce hardware costs. not every manfuacturere, but if they used one of those....
Can it read audio CDs? if yes the laser is in there, if no i dont know.