Update: Next-Gen Sonic Title Coming in 2015

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Next-Gen Sonic Title Coming in 2015

At the Nuremberg toy fair in Germany, Sega revealed that a new Sonic title is in the works for Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One.

Update: It looks like Nuremberg got their facts wrong, Sega has officially come out and denied the existence of a next-gen Sonic title for 2015 on the official Sega forums [http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?506410-Sonic-game-announced-for-2015-%28Wii-U-PS4-Xbox-One%29/page43&p=8504554#post8504554].

"The recent information coming out of Nuremburg Toy Fair was incorrect. Sega has yet to announce details of upcoming console video games for Sonic the Hedgehog, or further details regarding the new Sonic CG TV series."

Source: Joystiq [http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?506410-Sonic-game-announced-for-2015-%28Wii-U-PS4-Xbox-One%29/page43&p=8504554#post8504554]

Original Story:
A fairly unlikely place to get new game information, but nonetheless, a display at the Nuremberg toy fair in Germany has revealed that a next-generation Sonic title is in the works for Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One, for a 2015 launch date. The display also listed the previously released Sonic: Lost World for the Wii U and 3DS, as well as the upcoming Sonic and Mario at The Winter Olympic Games: Soichi 2014 for the Wii U, as well as a new Sonic TV show: Sonic Boom.

We know that Sega will announce a third, Nintendo exclusive Sonic title some time this year, but now we know that a multi-platform title is also in the works for next year. No further information was revealed about the upcoming title, the display stated that further information was "TBA".

As for Sonic Boom, the new Sonic TV show, it will debut on Cartoon Network this fall, be aimed at boys aged 6-11 years old, consist of 52 11-minute episodes, and will be the first Sonic cartoon presented in CG.

What would you want to see in a next-gen Sonic game? Personally, I'm hoping for the return of werehog Sonic! (just kidding!). We'll have more details about the new game as they become available.

Source: Sonic Stadium [https://www.spindash.de/bericht-zur-spielwarenmesse-2014/8398/]

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I want to see the game that Shadow the Hedgehog should have been; an ultra-gimdark gorefest that puts Berserk to shame.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Nope, not this time. I've learned to curb my enthusiasm with this franchise.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
I want to see the game that Shadow the Hedgehog should have been; an ultra-gimdark gorefest that puts Berserk to shame.
A yes, in that were to be the case I look forward to the scenes where Tails gets violently ripped apart and then devoured, Cream is tortured and thrown into a fire, and Amy Rose is brutally gang-raped by eggbots until tiny bots messily rip out of her pregnant belly, after which they'll further mutilate her corpse ending with it getting impaled onto a pike and paraded around.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...Wait multiplatform? Was the 3 exclusives deal just...Sonic Lost World, the 3DS version and another Olympic title?

I'm not upset about this I mean, I'm hoping for more Sonic on the PC (Modding Generations has boosted the replay-ability of that game 100 fold) but..I was under the impression it wasn't just those three. Oh well. GG.

Chimpzy said:

ScrabbitRabbit said:
A yes, in that were to be the case I look forward to the scenes where Tails gets violently ripped apart and then devoured, Cream is tortured and thrown into a fire, and Amy Rose is brutally gang-raped by eggbots until tiny bots messily rip out of her pregnant belly, after which they'll further mutilate her corpse ending with it getting impaled onto a pike and paraded around.
...Wut.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Charli said:
Chimpzy said:
...Wut.
All of that stuff happens in Berserk, an incredibly brutal and graphic manga.
It takes place in a crapsack world that is not so much black and white morality as it is black and dark grey morality where everybody is fair game for horrible violence of every kind: men, women, children, and that includes main characters.

To give you an idea: the defining moment of the main character is getting sacrificed with all of his comrades to a bunch of demons to help fulfill the ambitions of the only man he truly admired and called friend, and then being forced to watch as that man, now turned demon-god, rapes the only woman he ever shared mutual affection and intimacy with.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
CriticKitten said:
I guess I'm not so much surprised at the existence of said game....what does surprise me is that it's going to be multi-platform.

Out of idle curiosity, I went looking for the last time there's been a Sonic game that was multi-platform, since I couldn't recall one. Finally found "Sonic Heroes" from 2003, which sold best on the PS2 (a bit under 3 million units) and somewhat poorly on the others.

I guess what I'm saying is, what's the point of going multi-platform with it? Most of 'em don't sell well on multiple platforms, they sell well on one and then the other two get neglected.

Not that it matters to me, I guess. Haven't ever been a big Sonic fan, and I think after the flood of games like "Sonic and the Black Knight", Sonic Unleashed", "Sonic Free Riders", etc....a lot of people's interest in the franchise has died down considerably, too.
There have been a few Multiplatformed Sonic games in recent history. Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations for instance. It isn't the first time nor does it seem to be the last time.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Didn't they already make that game?
Chimpzy said:
I see you've been frequenting the same hentai sites as me...

OT: Here's the trick to making a new Sonic game no matter what the generation is:

Make it a 2D platformer. Don't try to make it 3D. That's always ended badly. Just make it a real shiny, polished, and multiple-pathed 2D platformer. You don't even need a story. It worked for New Super Mario Brothers Wii/WiiU; It can work for Sonic.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Chimpzy said:

ScrabbitRabbit said:
And then we find out all the really bad sonic games were part of a plan by eldritch abominations in service to the very idea of evil to manufacture a plot in which Sega would never make another Shinobi game.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, I certainly hope they don't...

...this time around, because that would be bad. If all else fails, they could always go with the narrative about SonicLikeYaKnoGoesDownDaUhGoesToRadioShackNNGitsFooComponents. That one sounded pretty compelling, to be honest.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Sooooo, how many years are we gonna wait till the blue blur gets good games again? Cause I don't have much hope for this game, but who knows, maybe SEGA will surprise us...*uncontrollable sniggering*

Cause it's been a while.

Like, a long while.

11 years since the last good overall Sonic game. C'mon SEGA.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
AndrewC said:
Sooooo, how many years are we gonna wait till the blue blur gets good games again? Cause I don't have much hope for this game, but who knows, maybe SEGA will surprise us...*uncontrollable sniggering*

Cause it's been a while.

Like, a long while.

11 years since the last good overall Sonic game. C'mon SEGA.
*shrugs*

Personally, I thought Generations was pretty good. Not fantastic, but certainly leagues beyond 06.

IshimaruHayato

Jun 21, 2013
Given Sonic Lost World's mixed reception, I think this new sonic game could be anything. I'd like at least more clarity what I'm expecting.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Charli said:
...Wait multiplatform? Was the 3 exclusives deal just...Sonic Lost World, the 3DS version and another Olympic title?

I'm not upset about this I mean, I'm hoping for more Sonic on the PC (Modding Generations has boosted the replay-ability of that game 100 fold) but..I was under the impression it wasn't just those three. Oh well. GG.

Chimpzy said:

ScrabbitRabbit said:
...Wut.
Yeah, you know Game of Thrones? The series everyone thinks is dark? Yeah, Berserk is worse. Much worse. The Red Wedding is basically like an episode of barney compared to Berserk. It's okay though, because Berserk has better writing and plot progression.

OT: Yeah, does anyone really care about Sonic anymore? Isn't that series basically on life support at this point? One cannot live off of nostalgia alone.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
IshimaruHayato said:
Given Sonic Lost World's mixed reception, I think this new sonic game could be anything. I'd like at least more clarity what I'm expecting.
Well, if they're going the route they took with sonic lost worlds, I'd love to see that dumb timer removed, unless the player would want it. If the demo is anything to go by, as well as what I've heard from reviews, it's more of a platformer than any other sonic game due to how tight sonic controls now, instead of 'too slow for molasses, too slippery for an eel'. Start as molasses, ending as an eel.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
For christ sake it's current-gen now.

OT: If it's Sonic Generations 2, I'm so sold!

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I'm looking forward to it. I've enjoyed most of the new sonic games post unleashed that I've played, including Lost Worlds(for the 3DS), and I feel like at this point they probably have a pretty good grasp on how to tackle their next game.
It's also notable that I grew up on Sonic Adventure 1(not 2, didn't like it), so I might not be the average Sonic player as I have a preference for 3D sonic games, and the only 2D ones I really remember enjoying were the advanced series, and sonic rush.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
The Gentleman said:
I see you've been frequenting the same hentai sites as me...

OT: Here's the trick to making a new Sonic game no matter what the generation is:

Make it a 2D platformer. Don't try to make it 3D. That's always ended badly. Just make it a real shiny, polished, and multiple-pathed 2D platformer. You don't even need a story. It worked for New Super Mario Brothers Wii/WiiU; It can work for Sonic.
You see though with Unleashed they finally hit the sweet spot of Sonic working in 3D. Those daytime stages were made using an engine they had been developing for 3 years and it shows. Say what you will about Unleashed but for the most part everyone said that the day time stages were really good and how Sonic should be in 3D. I haven't played Lost World but with Colors and Generations is sounded like they caught a little of the magic back. Generations was pretty light on story compared to recent titles and is my personal favorite game out of the bunch. It took them a while but they got 3D to work. Now they just need to focus on making the rest of the game work.