South Park: The Stick of Truth Superbowl Trailer Brings Back an Old Friend

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
South Park: The Stick of Truth Superbowl Trailer Brings Back an Old Friend

The 30 second teaser features a very familiar face to long-time South Park fans.
Those of you who watched the Superbowl this Sunday were treated to a new South Park: The Stick of Truth TV spot. Those of you who didn't can check it out above, and see the "old friend" that will be making in an appearance. That's right, Chef, the series' iconic school lunch chef is literally being brought back from the dead. Chef was voiced by singer Isaac Hayes, best known for his deep and sensuous voice, until a falling out with creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker over the show's parodying of religion led to his departure.

While the first trailer doesn't really reveal anything else we didn't already know about the game, Ubisoft has also released two additional trailers. The first of which, "Ginger Kid Nazi Zombie", an obvious pun on Call of Duty's Nazi Zombie mode, is a cinematic trailer that you can watch below:

<youtube=K_qgRLRAqpA>

The third trailer actually shows off some actual gameplay! It takes place in a sewer level and features the return of Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo, and his b***h wife. The game's gameplay segments and cutscenes seem to blend together pretty seemlessly, to really give you that impression that you are "playing an episode of South Park. Check it out below:

So there you go, what better way to celebrate Superbowl Sunday than with three new Stick of Truth trailers. The game will be released on March 4 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, after having faced quite a few delays. Not long now!

Source: South Park: The Stick of Truth [http://southpark.ubi.com/stickoftruth/en-us/home/index.aspx]

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
antigodoflife said:
They should censor the game to be more like the tv show.
Here's hoping they put a 'Censored' option in the game's audio track to fulfill that particular itch. I'm in agreement, it would be much funnier.

OT: Can I address that Kenny not walking into the timed sludge actually makes me a little bit happy? Maybe it wouldn't affect him, but the fact the game character stops and waits to cross over instead of just blindly walking in makes me a little bit happy? Maybe I'm getting happy far too early, but I hope it is a sign that the long wait means we have a not buggy, well made game this time around.

I really want to play this now, I can only hope it at least a 6/10 game, but maybe the gameplay will boost that number to a 'You should play it, not just because you are a fan, but because you will like the gameplay' kind of game. I really want an RPG to play that's not High Fantasy or Sci-fi. Hopefully, this can be it.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Hey Chef!

Wow, didn't he leave because of the scientology episode some years back? That was weird, considering they've mocked every other religion so far.

falkTX

Nov 5, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
The game will be released on March 4 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One, after having faced quite a few delays.
Correction, the game will be released for PC, PS3 and XBox 360.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park:_The_Stick_of_Truth on the right)
Next-gen release is not yet known I believe.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Even if the actual 'game' is flawed in some way, the whole thing is more or less an extended episode showcasing all the characters and locations so it will be worth one play through.

IF the game is solid as well though, this may very well be one of the best tv/movie tie-ins ever made.

Think of what we could have if other tie-ins showed this much attention to detail and affection for their source material

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Roofstone said:
Hey Chef!

Wow, didn't he leave because of the scientology episode some years back? That was weird, considering they've mocked every other religion so far.
The Isaac Hayes (the voice of Chef) left because of the Scientology episode, but he passed away in 2008. As far as i'm aware, they haven't used Chef in any episode after the 'Return of Chef' episode.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Roofstone said:
Hey Chef!

Supposedly he didn't want to leave, but the scientology higher-ups made him.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
A minor correction: Hayes left because they made fun of scientology, not religion. But, as the show itself said in Chef's send-off: "Don't be mad at him for leaving, be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brains."

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Just to clear up what happened to Chef.

South Park made fun of Scientology.
Isaac said he wasn't bothered.

Several months later,
Isaac Hayes sent out a letter calling South Park creators bigots and intolerant.
Even though he had been making money off their religious satire for years.

Fox News claimed the letter to not be from Isaac directly.
Isaac then said that he wasn't paid enough, and that Matt and Trey were jerks.

Then Isaac started acting very strange.

People suspected health problems or drugs.
Then he died of a stroke.

Also Bernie Mac died the day before Isaac.
I suspect the Scientologists.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Oh, that ginger nazi thing won't roll well with the German authorities, I guess I'll have to import that game. =/

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wonder how the whole "silent protagonist" is going to work in the game or does the cast clealy state that the character is silent as hell? I know for one thing, I would definitely not keep quiet if I see two talking poo arguing with each other!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
hooblabla6262 said:
Just to clear up what happened to Chef.

(stuff)
Yeah, it's no secret that the Church of Scientology goes after members who piss them off. Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Hayes didn't die of no damn stroke, either. They're like the mafia.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Any word yet on whether it will require UPlay on PC?
No official word but the Steam Store page doesn't mention it and there is a note for 'Steam Achievements' in the details column.

I wouldn't take my chances with a physical copy although.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ed130 said:
-Dragmire- said:
Any word yet on whether it will require UPlay on PC?
No official word but the Steam Store page doesn't mention it and there is a note for 'Steam Achievements' in the details column.

I wouldn't take my chances with a physical copy although.
Yeah, I'm not taking my chances with a preorder regardless of how guaranteed I am of buying it. If Uplay is in it, I'll get the PS3 version. Once the system requirements are made public, we'll know for sure.